Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Emerald Crab Advice

Thanks
    Well, was re-aquascaping my rocks when I saw the little black bugger. I popped him out with a small bamboo skewer and realized after a made a noise he was still in the rock. Long story short, I ended up losing both claws and a leg off him so I ended his misery as humanely as possible.

I hate killing kritters, but considering I didn't even want the guy and reading bad stuff on them...I am a bit relieved. Now I'll just have to wait and see about the EC's. Didn't see them at all today. Hope I didn't bury them.

Thanks
    I have recently added reinforcements to my CUC including two emerald crabs. One of them has a reddish color...this is an emerald crab right??

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDckSArmE0I]YouTube - Psychojam's Reef 12-13-2008[/ame]

"Human subtelty will never devise an invention more beautiful,
    more simple or more direct than does nature"

- Leonardo Da Vinci

Blog: Psychojam's Reef

14 Gallon Biocube

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Psychojam View Post
    I have recently added reinforcements to my CUC including two emerald crabs. One of them has a reddish color...this is an emerald crab right??

YouTube - Psychojam's Reef 12-13-2008
    I ordered a EC from John Maloney (reefcleaners.org) and I received a red mithrax crab instead. John was very nice about it, offering a refund - but I was fine with it. Looks just like an emerald, hairless bumpy back, hairy legs, but orange-red instead.

He chilled out in my QT for a few months, chomping on a lot of algae (including some macros I paid for ). The first time he molted - I swear - he was at least 25% bigger afterward, with disproportionately huge Popeye claws. Arrrggh!!! I need to put a little anchor tattoo on him...

Now he hangs out in the DT. He's definitely works on the algae, but I cannot tell if he is eating the HA or the diatoms on the HA. He's always working on something.

Sometimes when my Fourline wrasse passes close by, he reaches out in slow motion with his claws, perhaps as a warning. By the time his claws are fully extended the Fourline is already on the other side of the tank... LOL - I think Frankenstein moves faster.

Like other crabs, he is an opportunist. A flipped over Astraea can be irresistible for him. I also noticed him once or twice at the base of my Poccilopora, picking at a polyp. Haven't seen any damage yet however.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Psychojam View Post
    indeed it is! Color variations are normal for the mythraculus sculptus species, look for the same features. Scooped claws, the hairy legs, wide set black eyes. Often the reddish ones will turn black with age and time.

To enforce Rroselavy's post, often the red and black variants seem to be more shy about hiding but a little bit more territorial (waving off fish and other intruders is normal). I've yet to see or hear any confirmed accounts of them eating any corals but yes, they do tend to re-decorate their own territory on a whim. If you place something in or near it's hole it's bound to move it where it wants it to be.... I've had many such arguments about placement with our first black variant before giving up and leaving his cave opening free of decoration.
    ~J

Thanks
    Here are a few grainy pics of my brute from tonight's photo op:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    That's very looking, nice color red on him. Thanks for the pics.
    Ray or Raymond
    There is no elevator to success in marine tanks. You have to take the stairs.

Raymond's 30 gallon tank
    Raymond's 60 gallon tank

Show people you appreciate their advice! Click the star icon under their name to add to their reputation.

Thanks
    he does look slick!! Cant really tell for sure from the pic but given the pronounced "tower" on his belly there he is in fact a he as well. He should be a great little inhabitant. Cool for sure
    ~J

Curious Reefer
    Thanks

Samething here

I have had a EC in the past. He turned white and stopped moving, i pulled him out of the tank. Prooceeded to open him up and there was all his insides. So i thought he died.After going to all the store guys i speak to i thought i didnt feed him right and he died. I have a new one and i almost did the samething. I the morning i noticed alot of the sand snails all over an object in the sand. I couldn't see what it was because of teh snails. I have my pokin stick for when a hermit crabs doin something i dontlike. I grab that and knock the snails off. It was my crab. I was pissed. I feed him by hand with small slices of frozen algea food. I had to leave for work but i tried to pick him up, the stick has a little shovel on the end, but he kept slipping off. I come back from work and and his body is no where to be found. Then i found his main top shell in the sand completely empty. So i think my crab is a female from the info here. And ive always want to see him shiny. Thanks

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Hi Steve and to TR!
    Carmie

Only disasters happen fast!

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Show people you value their advice! Click the STAR icon at the bottom of the post to add to their reputation.

Curious Reefer
    Thanks

How to bait the Emerald Crab

Just to throw my beginner's 2 cents in, I was able to bait my Emerald Crab with a pinky-tip size pc of frozen scallop. It has worked every time. Day or night, it shoots towards it, and I cover it with a container to isolate it (this is now, when he's under suspicion of destroying coralline ).

Quote Originally Posted by ryandlf View Post
    I know this is an old post, but I just had to comment...I have a small emerald crab because the LFS told me it would take care of some hair algae. Well...yes, it does eat hair algae, but in my particular situation, not enough to really control and minor outbreak in a tank. Still, they are very cool. Anyone ever hear of where's Waldo? It can be kind of like that when you are searching your rock trying to find that crab, they blend right in.

On a side note, mine used to be very active and for the past day or two its just been sitting in mostly the same spot. Is this normal?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information