Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Jasonanatal's 120 gallon "Advanced Complexity" Reef Aquarium

Thanks
    Thanx!!

So when you say rocks, what exactly is rocking? Is the stand flexing? is the floor flexing??? Was there too many adult beverages consumed prior to cranking up the guitar hero gig and the eyes and brain were flexing????
    Henry

Banned Users
    Thanks

Post Reply to Spanko.

Quote Originally Posted by spanko View Post
    Thanx!!

So when you say rocks, what exactly is rocking? Is the stand flexing? is the floor flexing??? Was there too many adult beverages consumed prior to cranking up the guitar hero gig and the eyes and brain were flexing????
    Spanko, the aquarium is rocking back and fourth like a cheap picnic table with all the heavy bottles of soda and beer.

Thanks
    Ah, so I am guessing a cheap stand flexing then correct??
    Henry

Banned Users
    Thanks

Post Reply to Spanko.

Ah, so I am guessing a cheap stand flexing then correct??
    Spanko, as Jacque would say from Finding Nemo. Yes, I am ashamed.

Thanks
    Scary but hopefully fixable. Nice saw!!!!
    Henry

Banned Users
    Thanks

Post Reply to Spanko.

Scary but hopefully fixable. Nice saw!!!!
    Spanko, I have a plan. You will see more shortly.

Thanks
    Jason-

How are you planning to keep the little Frag from tampering with your controllers? I know the RK2 does not have a lockout feature, and the Ecotech driver has a rotating knob, a button, detachable power cables, and a pretty LED light in different colors. Pretty alluring for a youngster...

Banned Users
    Thanks

Post Reply to Rroselavy.

Quote Originally Posted by rroselavy View Post
    Jason-

How are you planning to keep the little Frag from tampering with your controllers? I know the RK2 does not have a lockout feature, and the Ecotech driver has a rotating knob, a button, detachable power cables, and a pretty LED light in different colors. Pretty alluring for a youngster...
    Rrosalavy, I'm actually using this minor setback of the stand rocking to make something better. Once I reinforce the stand using the 2x4's I'm going to build walls for the stand and attach 2 doors in the front. The equipment will then be housed and protected by an acrylic cover with a lock. The doors will also will have key locks. That should do the trick.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Jason, cool project and a good excuse to get new tools!!! Smart idea about locking things up. Toddlers are INQUISITIVE!
    Carmie

Only disasters happen fast!

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Show people you value their advice! Click the STAR icon at the bottom of the post to add to their reputation.

Banned Users
    Thanks

Post Reply to CarmieJo.

Quote Originally Posted by CarmieJo View Post
    Jason, cool project and a good excuse to get new tools!!! Smart idea about locking things up. Toddlers are INQUISITIVE!
    I for some reason always have an excuse. LOL

Banned Users
    Thanks

Post Jasonanatal's 120 Gallon "Natural Simplicity" Reef Aquarium Update.

Livestock: Powder Blue Tang "Acanthurus Leucosternon" & Achilles Tang "Acanthurus Achilles" (Best Buddies for Life)

Maximum Length: 9.1 in.
    Care Level: Expert Only!
    Family: Acanthuridae
    Reef Compatibility: Good
    Minimum Aquarium Size: 120 gallons
    Range: Indian Ocean
    Diet: Herbivore- herbivore preparations, macro algae
    Water Conditions: 74-80° F; sg 1.020-1.025; pH 8.1-8.4

Well as everyone knows I'm addicted to Tangs. However, with a nano aquarium I was never able to keep one. Well know with this 120 gallon All Glass Reef Aquarium build I wanted to keep both. According to reading the best chance of acclimating two or more tangs together would be to introduce them to the aquarium at the same time. Well the odds of finding both a Power Blue Tang and an Achilles Tang in one store in New York City would be... well lets just say I could catch a taxi quicker then getting these two fish at one store and the same size but I found them. So I bought them home and acclimated them over a period of 4 hours each in seperate containers. Then they were introduced and immediately is was battle royal! The scuffle lasted about 15 minutes and now there playing nice.

Photograph - Sunday, December 07, 2008 - My Powder Blue Tang "Acanthurus Leucosternon" drip acclimating over a period of 4 hours.

Photograph - Sunday, December 07, 2008 - My Powder Blue Tang "Acanthurus Leucosternon" swimming alone.

Maximum Length: 9.4 in.
    Care Level: Expert Only!
    Family: Acanthuridae
    Reef Compatibility: Excellent
    Minimum Aquarium Size: 120 gallons
    Range: Hawaii
    Diet: Herbivore- herbivore preparations, macro algae
    Water Conditions: 74-80 F; sg 1.020-1.025; pH 8.1-8.4

Photograph - Sunday, December 07, 2008 - My Achilles Tang "Acanthurus Achilles" drip acclimating over a period of 4 hours.

Photograph - Sunday, December 07, 2008 - My Achilles Tang "Acanthurus Achilles" swimming alone.

Continued Below...

Banned Users
    Thanks

Post Continuation...

Photograph - Sunday, December 07, 2008 - My "Acanthurus Leucosternon" & Achilles Tang "Acanthurus Achilles" swimming nicely after a 15 minute scuffle from being intoduced together. Now there playing nicely.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Those are some beautiful tangs those are two of my favorite tangs as well the purple but that's another story. Anyways beautiful tangs and glad they stopped fighting. Thanks for sharing them.
    Ray or Raymond
    There is no elevator to success in marine tanks. You have to take the stairs.

Raymond's 30 gallon tank
    Raymond's 60 gallon tank

Show people you appreciate their advice! Click the star icon under their name to add to their reputation.

Banned Users
    Thanks

Post Reply to Rayme07.

Quote Originally Posted by rayme07 View Post
    Those are some beautiful tangs those are two of my favorite tangs as well the purple but that's another story. Anyways beautiful tangs and glad they stopped fighting. Thanks for sharing them.
    Rayme07, your most definitely welcome.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Very pretty fish!
    Carmie

Only disasters happen fast!

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Show people you value their advice! Click the STAR icon at the bottom of the post to add to their reputation.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Hi Jason I forgot to ask but what size tank is that you are acclimating the tangs in its very nice. Thanks
    Ray or Raymond

Raymond's 30 gallon tank
    Raymond's 60 gallon tank

Show people you appreciate their advice! Click the star icon under their name to add to their reputation.

Banned Users
    Thanks

Post Reply to CarmieJo.

Quote Originally Posted by CarmieJo View Post
    Very pretty fish!
    CarmieJo, thank you. I have been literally dieing to get my hands on these guys for a very long time.

Banned Users
    Thanks

Post Reply to Rayme07.

Hi Jason I forgot to ask but what size tank is that you are acclimating the tangs in its very nice. Thanks
    Rayme07, the acclimation tank is a standard 2.5 gallon All Glass aquarium.

Banned Users
    Thanks

Post Jasonanatal's 120 gallon "Natural Simplicity" Reef Aquarium Update.

Equipment: Red Sea C-Skim 1200 Deluxe Protein Skimmer (Damn Good Bang for Your Buck)

As most of you know I have a love affair with Deltec and other High End name brands within the aquarium hobby. Well I have been in the market for a new Protein Skimmer for this aquarium and all that could think of was Bubble King or Deltec. But I remembered seeing an a review for the Red Sea C-Skim 1200 Deluxe Protein Skimmer on ReefBuilders.com and decided to give it a try. What is the worst that could happen? I could have positive evidence to convince my wife that this Protein Skimmer blow more then just bubbles and that I have to purchase a Bubble King. So I made a trip to my local Fish Store and picked it up.

Setup was extremely easy since the majority of the unit comes assembled with the exception for the Recirculation Pump, Air Line Tubing, and Feed Pump (not included). You have an option for the feed pump you can have a powerhead connected or you can tee off from your return pump. I personally choose to connect a powerhead to the feed input (I am using a Maxi-Jet 1200). The feed line states that it must be between 300 gph to 400 gph in order to get optimum results. I played with the skimmer for 2 days making minor adustments to the air intake as well as the control of the water outlet which adjust the height of the Foam. The Neck washing system is a real plus but it doesn't have a squeegee like the $1,000.00 Deltec a Bubble king counterparts. So placing the Red Sea C-Skim 1200 Deluxe Protein Skimmer in an accessible area is a must since the neck washing system is manually controlled and should be done daily.

My overall opinion of the Protein Skimmer is that it is large and give you the most bang for you buck. The foam and Micro bubbles are amazing and as you can see in just 4 days it's pulling out some nasty stuff. I say Red Sea C-Skim 1200 Deluxe FTW (For The Win)!

Photograph - Friday, December 12, 2008 - Red Sea C-Skim 1200 Deluxe Protein Skimmer.

Photograph - Friday, December 12, 2008 - I'm a big guy so you can see Santa came early and left me a big gift.

Photograph - Tuesday, December 16, 2008 - 4 days running and look at all the nasty stuff it removed.

Banned Users
    Thanks

Post Jasonanatal's 120 Gallon "Natural Simplicity" Reef Aquarium.

Equipment: Red Sea C-Skim 1200 Deluxe Protein Skimmer (Videos of the Action)

As promised I took some time out of my crazy schedule to take some videos of the Red Sea C-Skim 1200 Deluxe Protein Skimmer in action. I also took a second video to display the Neck Washing system in operation, Unfortunately the skimmate has gotton to think in the Foam View Window to really show how the Neck Washing system normally performs. It's great at removing small clumps of think skimmate. I also zoomed in to show you the size of the bubbles being produced and I am quite impressed... you may be as well.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXaqML7HR4U]YouTube - Red Sea C-Skim 1200 Deluxe Protein Skimmer.[/ame]
    Movie - Wednesday, December 17, 2008 - Red Sea C-Skim 1200 Deluxe Protein Skimmer in normal operation.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWNapuqK63Q]YouTube - Red Sea C-Skim 1200 Deluxe Protein Skimmer Neck Washing.[/ame]
    Movie - Wednesday, December 17, 2008 - Red Sea C-Skim 1200 Deluxe Protein Skimmer in neck washing operation.

Thanks
    Thanks for the vids Jason. I see the bubbles come right back after the rinsing. Great. I also see that the heavy crud at the top of the neck isn't cleaned off. Not so great. How many days of crud is that? The manual says to use the rinsing feature every day...

Banned Users
    Thanks

Post Reply to Rroselavy.

Quote Originally Posted by rroselavy View Post
    Thanks for the vids Jason. I see the bubbles come right back after the rinsing. Great. I also see that the heavy crud at the top of the neck isn't cleaned off. Not so great. How many days of crud is that? The manual says to use the rinsing feature every day...
    Rroselavy, that video shows approximately 6 days of crude. I am actually utulizing the Neck Washing feature every day. The Neck Washing is great at remove the small skimmate buildup but once it gets thick like the amount at the top the amount that is removed is slim to none. But its still better then not having the feature and having skimmate collect in the rise tube twice as fast.

Banned Users
    Thanks

Post Jasonanatal's 120 Gallon "Natural Simplicity" Reef Aquarium Update.

Do It Myself (Wife Helping) Project: Reinforcing a Iron Stand Continued...

I finally managed to get my wife and son out of the apartment for a while in order to rev up the saw and start to cut the some of the peices of wood for the reinforcement of the iron stand. However, I ran out of materials again and need to make another run to home depot. Here are photographs of the project so far. I haven't completed it and already their is a dramatic increase in the rigidness of the iron stand, there is almost no movement.

Photographs - Sunday, December 21, 2008 - Wooden skeleton to reinforce the iron stand.

Photographs - Sunday, December 21, 2008 - L Brackets holding the wood together.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Jason that stand looks 100% better. Awesome job I like it.
    Ray or Raymond

Raymond's 30 gallon tank
    Raymond's 60 gallon tank

Banned Users
    Thanks

Post Reply to Rayme07.

Jason that stand looks 100% better. Awesome job I like it.
    Rayme07, thank you. It's still not doing I'm going to add to it in a week or two.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread Information