Thread: BRS Media Reactor

Thanks

BRS Media Reactor

Hey folks,

I just purchased a media reactor at bulkreefsupply.com that simply uses a sturdy upflow carbon canister retrofitted with sponge rings, heavy duty connection hardware with valve, and a sturdy mounting/hanging bracket. They come in single and dual configurations.

My first thought was "Why didn't someone think of using that style of canister sooner?" My hope is that it is more sturdy/failsafe than the TLF reactor, and less bulky than my Simplicity reactor that I use now. A recent GB allowed me to purchase this reactor for $29, which I think is a really good deal.

I just thought I would mention this in case some anyone here is shopping for a media reactor.

Once received and installed, I'll post a review.

Thanks
    NICE! I could see you making one from a whole house water filter too. Gets the DIY gears going. I was thinking of making a dual reactor from acrylic to hold GFO and GAC. I am thinking of going with a square design with the water flowing through the GFO with the inlet on the bottom then feed the output to the bottom chamber of the next one with the GAC and back in the sump and have it as a hang on unit. My tank is just 75g, so I don't need a huge setup and figure can make it for around $15 with all the parts.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bbl_nk View Post
    NICE! I could see you making one from a whole house water filter too. Gets the DIY gears going. I was thinking of making a dual reactor from acrylic to hold GFO and GAC. I am thinking of going with a square design with the water flowing through the GFO with the inlet on the bottom then feed the output to the bottom chamber of the next one with the GAC and back in the sump and have it as a hang on unit. My tank is just 75g, so I don't need a huge setup and figure can make it for around $15 with all the parts.
    LOL. I'll be eager to see that DIY thread too... I have a pretty good shop here at work with a CNC cutting bed, router, table saw, drill press, belt sander, etc... I may start to try my hand at some DIY by doing some trial joints in acrylic - but I am a way way off from building anything...

Do you know of any good DIY acrylic fabrication web sites to get me started? I know of a few articles here and there, but no substantial resource.

Thanks
    Yeah, let me dig around and see if I can find some of the better ones (I ALWAYS) forget to bookmark! Check out some video here: Instructional Videos: TAP Plastics

Thanks
    OK here are a few that give you some general working tips and some with projects. I always compare since some use CNC or other tools I don't have. I recommend looking closely at the commercial stuff available, seeing how simple it is, look up other designs and adapt to your skill level and needs. You'll always find the quick DIY projects you can add more too as well as the real extreme DIYers that you may need to take it down a few notches to work for you

I looked at an older model CPR overflow and got the inspiration to do the acrylic DIY and when my fiance looked at it ans said "you could make this!" it sent me over the top and the bug was started. Look around for plastic shops and pic up some scraps of acrylic. You can get some thicker pieces for pretty cheap. Start with something simple and you'll be making a sump in no time LOL

Tips On Working with Acrylic by Jon Garner - Reefkeeping.com

Melevsreef.com | Acrylic Sumps & Refugiums Look at the left side under "Do it yourself" there are a bunch of links in the gray area

Advanced Aquarist's Online Magazine - Do It Yourself: Working with Acrylic

DIY Group Project Photo Journal - CVR Forums! -- Here is a great photo thread from one of my local groups on a group DIY build...I have to go to one of these

http://www.beananimal.com/projects/6...n-skimmer.aspx This guy built a monster! A great DIY twist lock I was thinking of using....very genius

Randy Stacy E -- Great projects with PVC and things around the home proving that DIY works I use this for the basics but like working with acrylic and taking it to the next degree
    Last edited by bbl_nk; 09-11-2008 at 01:44 PM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bbl_nk View Post
    Yeah, let me dig around and see if I can find some of the better ones (I ALWAYS) forget to bookmark! Check out some video here: Instructional Videos: TAP Plastics
    I watched the relevant TAP Plastics videos last night. Great intros to the topic. I really liked the Heat Bending ones along with the welding ones. Good stuff. They make it look easy.

---

Thanks so much for the other resources. I'll start pouring through it right away....

Thanks
    That they do It is pretty easy actually. You do all this work cutting, etc., and ZIP! It's glued together. Hardest part is just letting it sit and cure without tinkering with it.

When you decide on a particular project, Google around and see what it comes up with and adjust to your skill level.

Thread Information