Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: cghoosier21 4 gallon tank

Curious Reefer
    Thanks
    also got another question right now since my tank is only a 4 gallon ive been buying water that is pre made since i dont see the need to make up my own for a 4 gallon tank but i will be mixing my own water for the 20 gallon. the question is i dont have a RO unit and dont really wana spend the money on one wat should i use for water then?

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    I used distilled water before I found that my LFS supplies free RO/DI water. The risk is that you may not know the source or how frequently the filters are changes. I have not had any problems though I still look forward to the day I get my own RO/DI filter.
    "The ultimate test of man's conscience may be his willingness to sacrifice something today for future generations whose words of thanks will not be heard."

~ Gaylord Nelson

Curious Reefer
    Thanks
    ok i was wondering if distilled water was ok

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Technically distilled water is very pure. The unknown factor is how the facility handled the distilled water (such as were there copper parts in contact with the water). You could contact the company and ask. I read of numerous people using distilled water from walmart with no problems (they may have multiple sources though). I used their water before switching with no problems.
    "The ultimate test of man's conscience may be his willingness to sacrifice something today for future generations whose words of thanks will not be heard."

~ Gaylord Nelson

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Invest in a TDS meter. Then you can see the quality of the water you are buying. I do a 10% water change each week. I think it makes for a healthy tank and keeps the trace elements up. I try to disturb a bit of the sandbed each time I change the water. Also consider putting your rock on stands like these http://www.talkingreef.com/forums/co...s-135-gal-Reef so you have circulation over all the sand.
    Carmie

Only disasters happen fast!

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Show people you value their advice! Click the STAR icon at the bottom of the post to add to their reputation.

Curious Reefer
    Thanks
    so i got the 20 gallon 2 days ago now im waiting to buy all the other stuff here is a list on what im planing on getting for the tank on the lines of the equipment:
    for the lighting:AquaticLife 30" T5 HO 2 Lamp Fixture, Marine
    for the heater all i need is a 50 watt right???
    for the powerheads i was thinking on get 2 Koralia Nano 240 gph or should i get the 425 gph

also if anyone has any suggestions for something different or need something that i havent listed yet please add your input
    Last edited by cghoosier21; 07-12-2010 at 05:44 PM.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    I would definitely not get the K-nano size. I have one in my 24 and it is not at all strong. Even more, I don't like the way the pump fits onto the magnet holder. It is like a little ball and socket abd I can knock it out with the mag float.
    Carmie

Only disasters happen fast!

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Show people you value their advice! Click the STAR icon at the bottom of the post to add to their reputation.

Curious Reefer
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CarmieJo View Post
    I would definitely not get the K-nano size. I have one in my 24 and it is not at all strong. Even more, I don't like the way the pump fits onto the magnet holder. It is like a little ball and socket abd I can knock it out with the mag float.
    so what would u recommend??

Thanks
    I have a K1 in my 10 gallon and it's just right. I got it pointed at the surface and it gives a good shimmer effect and doesn't blow the sand around. For a 20 gallon I dont think the K1 would be enough. JMO.

Curious Reefer
    Thanks
    just a little bit of an update i have just about everything for the new tank the only thing i really need is the lighting fixture im still hung up on which one i should get and im planing on gettting corals sometime in the near future any suggestions on what i should get i dont really want to spend over 200 dollars for a unit

Apprentice
    Thanks
    Get your corals from locals selling frags. We have all kinds of great people selling them pretty reasonably. Indmas.org is great if you are a member or try http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/fo...play.php?f=255 which is our forum on RC.

Curious Reefer
    Thanks
    thanks mits

Curious Reefer
    Thanks
    just a little bit of an update i dunno what happened but my clownfish and clown goby died the same day but this was like over a month ago all of my parameters were fine so who knows but ive gotten a new clown and then today i got some zoo's i dunno what kinda they are it was frag i got from a lfs heres a pic of them if anyone knows the name of them it would be awesome to know.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Curious Reefer
    Thanks
    also i havent started the 20 gallon yet cause i need to pay for school i probably wont do it until this winter break or next summer

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information