Hi Christi
Do you have the tubing just standing as individual pieces?
Yes.

Are they standing on their end or lying down?
They are standing on end.

I think seeing how I do the PVC stands will help clear up your thoughts on yours. I'm not done aquascaping and the tank is a mess from sand clouds but now is the time to see the PVC stands.

The PVC rock stands are very noticible here. I cut them 5.5" long for a 5" DSB. Sand is still being added and LS will be added later.

I went with 2" PVC this time and 1" holes in the stands as shown, one on top and two at the bottom. I have more to make tomorrow and will take a pic of them before they go in the tank. Two reasons for the holes, one, the stands will be filled with sand and the holes in the bottom allow DSB worms to crawl into and out of the deeper layer. Remember, my method of raising the rock above the sand is to eliminate the inevitable dead area with the rock directly on the sand. I don't want to create dead spots in the pipe stands. Second, the upper hole, usually only one, besides being there for water flow, is for safety hideouts for little fish like blennies, gobies and such. Besides the rock holes and crevases they can choose these little nooks.

You mentioned, Christi, in a different thread that you wanted a group of blennies. This is just an easy way to provide many hide-a-ways for them to fight over. They're very agressive at defending their home.

More pics as I progress. Hope this helped. This gives them many choices.

Dick