Thread: DIY Larval snagger

Thanks

DIY Larval snagger

All,

I've finally gotten around to placing a howto for a quick and dirty larval snagger on the copepodgeek site. I've had excellent success with this design and continue to improve it with each use. For those of you needing a larval snagger, feel free to hit the link

http://www.copepodgeek.com/?q=node/7

It's a simple variation on a design the folks at MOFIB - Marine Ornamental Fish & Invertebrate Breeders - Marine Fish Breeding / Saltwater Fish Breeding / Marine Invertebrate Breeding had posted but I noticed the lack of a step by step howto so I tossed one together along with instructions on the changes I've made. Who knew a bottle and some PVC would be so useful!

~J

Our Brotha Down Unda
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    that looks sweet JRC.
    I dont cultivate, however if i did, you'd be up there on my contact list.

Thanks for sharing bud. Really appreciate it

question for ya, & its a howitzer , Bisphenol A ( BPA ) & Phtalates are used in the coatings of bottles right, a claimed breaking down agent to decrease their half life (i'll come back to this at the bottom) ok so if these chemicals have been found to become hazardous to us, whats to stop them from leaching into the water (im only asking cause im assuming the bottles are submerged long term) so i guess the question is could it have any translated effects or am i just being way way to over nerdy? lol

Getting back to the middle point, in the entire world, Canada to my knowledge is the only country with the b@lls & common sense to officially recognize that agents such as PBA are hazardous to humans. the rest of the developed world has done studies, just to chicken s^&t to go against interested parties & fully realize the agents already in everything we purchase

Vquilibrium Productions

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by V View Post
    question for ya, & its a howitzer , Bisphenol A ( BPA ) & Phtalates are used in the coatings of bottles right, a claimed breaking down agent to decrease their half life (i'll come back to this at the bottom) ok so if these chemicals have been found to become hazardous to us, whats to stop them from leaching into the water (im only asking cause im assuming the bottles are submerged long term) so i guess the question is could it have any translated effects or am i just being way way to over nerdy? lol
    The interesting one about the BPA, it's in more than bottles and I'm fairly certain the fish food containers and a ton of other plastics we use regularily in the hobby have it... I've not really given that one much thought as most anything I drink comes from a porcelain mug, glass bottle, or aluminum can.
    ~J

Our Brotha Down Unda
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    yeah they use it in everything, & amazingly, deemed safe. it reminds me of asbestos, lets find out 25 years from now we've been poisoning ourselves even though the relevent parties at the time said its all good

Vquilibrium Productions

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by V View Post
    yeah they use it in everything, & amazingly, deemed safe. it reminds me of asbestos, lets find out 25 years from now we've been poisoning ourselves even though the relevent parties at the time said its all good
    heh, I read this as I sit smoking a ciggarette... such is life....

though in retrospect I am curious about it now. While I havent had any problems with any of my cultures or tanks (and I rely heavily on the empty plastic bottles) I'd be curious to see how much leeching is actually occurring.
    ~J

Our Brotha Down Unda
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Pick a study, there are millions of them. maybe stick to wiki or something so you can bypass some of the bureaucracy
    I was just thinking from a mass ratio, if there are major concerns it effects us, even hormonally , if something have a body mass index 200 less than us, what can it do to them at the same concentrations you know what im saying..lol

Vquilibrium Productions

Thanks
    I smell a lawsuit coming....... You ozzies kayak and fish and outdoor in your free time

Us americans.... we litigate
    ~J

Our Brotha Down Unda
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    dont even talk to me bout that, went down to the water today & it was way to windy. What a drag!

anyways, its spose to be about your bug breeder catcher thread, So you got a shot of the thing in action.?

Vquilibrium Productions

Thanks
    he he, it's coming... based on the past we're looking at tomorrow or wednesday night! I've got the tripod ready and a whole boatload of other mish mashes. I've even took the time to throw a journal up for the MASM challenge (not that I'm playing for points or anything, could really care less about the challenge itself).

The exciting thing is now that I've got fry hitting on a constant basis I've got the luxury of testing rearing techniques without worrying about when the next clutch will come. the snagger mods are part of it, along with feeding regimens. If I could pull the little guys out of the water and take em to a micrometer without killing the little guys you bet I would...
    ~J

Thanks
    Alrighty, spent the better part of last nights "witching hour" running the thing.... Better yield than in prior runs for sure (and I hopefully got some good video of me running it, I have to run through it and see). The filing of the upper cross pipe so that I can separate it at the top for collection was a very very good idea, I spilled no fry this run and that maximized my total transfer.

But alas.... I'm still unhappy with the updraft tube, the LED worked much better but I think I'm going to try a few different colors and see whats better... as well I dont like the way the light still bleeds and confuses the fry, so it's back to the drawing board for what will be Revision D. a design with a ported updraft tube which I still have to extract from my head completely.
    ~J

Our Brotha Down Unda
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    yup, been there trial & error is fun aint it

Vquilibrium Productions

Thanks
    he he trial and error means more $$ for home depot most times
    ~J

Thread Information