Thread: MBI: MASM Breeding Initiative

Thanks

MBI: MASM Breeding Initiative

In an effort to encourage captive breeding of marine fishes and Invertebrates, MASM is happy, and proud, to announce the start of the MASM Breeding Initiative!
    MASM would like to involve everyone that is currently breeding as well as those that are interested in giving it a try.
    In the next few weeks we will set forth the guidelines for the Breeding Initiative, which will take place over the course of the next year and is open to anyone that would like to get involved, MASM membership is not a requirement to participate in the MASM Breeding Initiative. The initiative will include a Breeder's Challenge where anyone that is interested in breeding ornamental marine fish or Invertebrates will have the opportunity and support to do so. We will be organizing a group buy for equipment and materials for the Initiative, and we will have dedicated forums for participants to create breeding logs to document, and to ask questions about, their project.
    We are also extremely happy to announce that master breeders Matt Wittenrich, author of “The Complete Illustrated Breeder's Guide to Marine Aquarium Fishes” and Matt Pedersen, MASNA’s 2009 Hobbyist of the Year, have volunteered to act as advisors for the MASM Breeding Initiative and will help answer the more difficult breeding questions posted on the MASM forums.
    As a special treat, we will be holding a "Breeder's Workshop" in March 2010 where both Matt Wittenrich and Matt Pedersen will be in town to speak with us! This will be more than a simple lecture. A short lecture and Q&A session from each speaker will be followed by a social gathering where attendees will have plenty of personal, "one on one" time with both Matts. This will be a great opportunity to get individual questions answered by the experts and to share your successes and difficulties experienced through the first several months of the Breeder’s Challenge!
    We will have more specific details about the Breeder's Challenge and a date for the Breeder's Workshop in the next few weeks.

We already have the two forums created that will be used for this Initiative. You can see them at: MASM Forums
    They are both marked with a: on them so they are pretty easy to pick out.
    While there are a few details up in the air one requirement is that anyone involved in the initiative must have a thread( or two ) in the Breeding Journal forum detailing their progress though out the challenge. Anyone that does have a regularly updated thread will at the very least be guaranteed of receiving a certificate of participation. There will be other awards as well given out during the course of the Initiative for achieving specific milestones and at the end of this year's initiative.
    We seriously hope that this will be an ongoing yearly event for us.
    President - Marinelife Aquarium Society of Michigan
    http://www.masm.org

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    This sounds like a great project. Be sure to check out the breeding resources over at Reef Stewardship Foundation Homepage
    Carmie

Only disasters happen fast!

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Show people you value their advice! Click the STAR icon at the bottom of the post to add to their reputation.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Carmie

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Show people you value their advice! Click the STAR icon at the bottom of the post to add to their reputation.

Thanks
    We've actually had some back and forth conversation with Brian and Eric at RSF prior to pulling the trigger on this.

RSF is going to be at the Midwest Marine Conference next May too: MMC 2010

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Sounds like a great conference! You might want to go ahead and post it here Major Conference events - The Talkingreef Community
    Carmie

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Thanks
    I'll do that..thanks.

Thanks
    Everyone here at MASM is very excited about this project. It is our hope to encourage "out of the box" thinking and innovation. With more people involved, the possibility of discovering something new, increases.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    HI Fishtal Welcome to TR.
    Ray or Raymond
    There is no elevator to success in marine tanks. You have to take the stairs.

Raymond's 30 gallon tank
    Raymond's 60 gallon tank

Show people you appreciate their advice! Click the star icon under their name to add to their reputation.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Hi Tal, to TR.
    Carmie

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Thanks
    hrmmm makes me want to move to Michigan.... Youd think with so many breeders in my area here one of our clubs would do something like that.

I hope you guys can get the event rolling and keep it rolling as it's exactly what the hobby needs IMHO!
    ~J

Thanks
    You don't have to live in Michigan. This is open to everyone everywhere.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by THEJRC View Post
    hrmmm makes me want to move to Michigan.... Youd think with so many breeders in my area here one of our clubs would do something like that.

I hope you guys can get the event rolling and keep it rolling as it's exactly what the hobby needs IMHO!
    Now that's something we don't hear every day! We are getting quite a few people in the area involved but we're happy to include anyone that is interested.

BTW, do you know Umm,Fish/Andy? He's in your neck of the woods...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by fishtal View Post
    Now that's something we don't hear every day! We are getting quite a few people in the area involved but we're happy to include anyone that is interested.

BTW, do you know Umm,Fish/Andy? He's in your neck of the woods...
    He he, yeah I've been meaning to touch base with Andy for a long while now, he's not too far up the road as the JRC drives but time crunches et all. I'll probably be delivering some dibs nassarius his way in the next few weeks as it seems I'm one of the few breeders left who havent crashed. Theres actually several breeders up in this neck of the woods, Zooid is another one that's been bopping around dibs for a long while! Whodathunk marine breeding in the center of the continent where theres little water....

As far as the open to everyone, my comment was much more geared towards wishing more local clubs would focus on such things. Unfortunately in my mind I see most clubs focusing on being more frag swap and hang out oriented. Not too many seriously moving forward in the realm of breeding. But then again thats the nutcases point of view. I'm lucky enough to have a real good club out here that meshes well I just want to see more on captive propagation everywhere I guess...
    ~J

Thanks
    Cool! I'd love to hear more about your Nassarius, point me in the right direction for more info.

I hear ya about being land-locked, kinda. Being surrounded by water in MI is a bit annoying since it's not SW, LOL.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Hey Tal,

You can check Joe's thread over at RSF Reef Stewardship Foundation Forums
    Carmie

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Thanks
    hah outdated as well

I'm actually in the process of re-working the copepodgeek site right now (it's down at the moment for rework) and will have a few walk throughs that I've been working on. I'll make it a point to detail my "non work" on the nassarius.

To be brutally honest all I did was dump them in a very high nutrient system and feed the heck out of em with formula one pellet. They did the hard work. This coming week I will be shipping out loads of them (thank god they've overrun me!) to Brian Plankis over at RSF for distribution at their annual meeting (which I will be missing as my wife and I are renewing our vows on the very same day!).
    ~J

Thanks
    Thanks, that's what I needed.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by THEJRC View Post
    (which I will be missing as my wife and I are renewing our vows on the very same day!).
    Congratulations! How many years?
    Carmie

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Thanks
    6th year anniversarry was the 10th of this month so we're renewing late but hell two anniversaries arent bad
    ~J

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    I think it isn't the exact day but the intention. Plus, now you have twice as many reasons to celebrate!
    Carmie

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Thanks

Today, November 1st is the official kick-off of the MASM Breeding Initiative. We gave you some basic information regarding the Initiative not to long ago via emails and on many of the popular forums with a note that there would be more to come. As promised I come to you with all the details now.

Purpose
    1. To encourage spawning of marine ornamental fish and invertebrates.
    2. To share knowledge of captive breeding techniques.
    3. To enable more people to participate in captive breeding.
    4. To recognize outstanding achievement in the captive breeding of marine ornamental fish and invertebrates.
    5. To create a pool of information for hobbyists and professionals to use in breeding of established and untried species.
    6. To encourage the reduction in reliance on wild caught animals for the marine aquarium hobby by substituting tank raised specimens for wild caught specimens wherever possible.

Time
    The first Initiative will run from November 1st 2009 till December 31th 2010

Eligibility
    The MASM Breeding Initiative is open to anyone interested in captive breeding. MASM membership is not a requirement although creating a breeding log on the MASM forum is a requirement. This Initiative applies only to propagation via sexual reproduction. Specimens propagated via asexual means such as fragging or splitting are not included in the MBI.

General
    Species will be divided into classes based on difficulty. Classes are grouped generally as follows:
    Class A-Easiest species to breed in captivity
    Class B-More difficult Species but still regularly bred in captivity
    Class C-Species considered very difficult to breed in captivity
    Class D-Species never or hardly ever successfully bred in captivity
    You can find a complete list of all currently classified species at:
    Official Species Class listing

Points will be awarded as follows:
    Points will be awarded at 4 stages during the breeding process; spawning event, hatching event, metamorphosis, and 60 days post-metamorphosis (or 60 days after birth if live bearing species).

Class A: 60pts
    Class B: 120pts
    Class C: 300pts
    Class D: 700pts

Points will only be awarded once per species. In other words, you don't have to start from scratch every time a pair spawns, but you only get points for that species spawning, hatching, etc. once.
    You can see more information on the points system at:
    How Points are awarded

Breeder Levels
    The following is a list of the breeder levels and awards:

Apprentice
    Fledgling Breeder
    Novice Breeder
    Journeyman Breeder
    Established Breeder
    Progressive Breeder
    Advanced Breeder
    Expert Breeder
    Master Breeder
    Grand Master

More details on breeder awards and award levels can be found at:
    Breeder Award Levels

All participants must start a Breeder's Log on the MASM Breeding Journals forum and post updates and pictures during the program for each species that they are working with. The Breeder's Journal Forum can be found at: Breeding Journals

Participants will receive awards for reaching specific milestones during the MBI. These may include certificates, plaques, and/or trophies.

Thread Information