Thread: Dreaming

Insightful Reefer
    Thanks

Dreaming

So I was looking at this setup and the video they have. 300 Gallon Deep Super System with double bright strip lights, Aquarium Systems | Pet Solutions. They said consider 1000 lbs weight for every 100 gallons. So that would be 3000 lbs at least if they don't include the weight of rocks and other crap. Then I was thinking, do have that I would have to have a new house that specifically had a place for a 6ft x 3ft tank weighing this much including dedicated water supply. I wonder if they left enough room in the bottom of this tank for a DIY build in RO system and auto top off. I guess I will be sticking to my little tank for some time now... ;-)
    PapaMcEuin
    Family Reefer

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    LOL, you'd have to reinforce the floor I expect. Now I can hear the conversation at my house "Honey, you know how fish tanks have taken over the dining room? Well now I know to take care of the living room!"
    Carmie

Only disasters happen fast!

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Show people you value their advice! Click the STAR icon at the bottom of the post to add to their reputation.

Our Brotha Down Unda
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Dont feel to bad bud, I just missed out on a tank of a lifetime too this week,, a 10 x 3 x 2 that i offered $1700 smacko's for. Dont people know we're meant to be in a recession??? ironically someone beat me to it! Funny thing was, its the misses that asked me if we could get it..lol, hmmm, well i thought it was funny!!

Vquilibrium Productions

Insightful Reefer
    Thanks
    That is one heck of a tank. I know my wife and I would like a larger setup but placement for the weight and cost for the new setup is beyond what we can do at the moment. I just spent 300 on adding a marine sump setup (http://www.talkingreef.com/forums/me...y-upgrade.html) and that is because my HOT filter literally came apart and dumped water everywhere. I was just glad the tank wasn't busted because when we do plan to upgrade I want to cycle the new system first before moving critters and not risk an emergency transfer. Anyway, it is nice when both are happy to have the setup big or small.
    PapaMcEuin
    Family Reefer

Our Brotha Down Unda
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    well, we can only ever do what we can afford or thats absolutely necessary sometimes bud. Dont worry i hear ya!

good to see you back on the boards bud, i'll check out your thread ok

Vquilibrium Productions

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    OK V, you are in Oz where you use metric, right? So was that tank measured in feet or meters?

Slightly off topic but I remember being told in grade school that we had to learn metric because A.) the US would soon adopt metric and B.) it is easier because it is base 10. So I did. The way I see it that was close to 40 years ago so why haven't we changed? How long does it take for soon to get here?

My knowledge works great with the exchange students since I can convert on the fly but it really would be better if we just bit the bullet and changed over. After all we are all used to buying pop in 2 L bottles now so how hard can the rest of it be for most people?
    Carmie

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Show people you value their advice! Click the STAR icon at the bottom of the post to add to their reputation.

Our Brotha Down Unda
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    yeah metric, however i kinda mix both sometimes which i shouldn;'t make a habbit of, somethings are easier, like dimensions of tanks.

10ft x 3ft x 2 ft tank

Vquilibrium Productions

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Yeah, that metric/imperial mix up is what happened on that NASA Mars lander a few years ago.
    Carmie

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CarmieJo View Post
    Slightly off topic but I remember being told in grade school that we had to learn metric because A.) the US would soon adopt metric and B.) it is easier because it is base 10. So I did. The way I see it that was close to 40 years ago so why haven't we changed? How long does it take for soon to get here?

My knowledge works great with the exchange students since I can convert on the fly but it really would be better if we just bit the bullet and changed over. After all we are all used to buying pop in 2 L bottles now so how hard can the rest of it be for most people?
    I think the problem was it was too confusing and hard to explain to the US people so they decided not to switch over. To me its hard to convert sometimes.
    Ray or Raymond
    There is no elevator to success in marine tanks. You have to take the stairs.

Raymond's 30 gallon tank
    Raymond's 60 gallon tank

Show people you appreciate their advice! Click the star icon under their name to add to their reputation.

Our Brotha Down Unda
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    yeah, cause it involved to much logic from other countries

10base numbering is easy bud!

Vquilibrium Productions

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    I am pretty good in math, worked in science and am involved in a international community so making the conversions back and forth is easy for me. But if we really changed you wouldn't have to convert you would just need to know what to wear when it is going to be 10 outside (jeans and a hoodie, if I am not going to work) or how many liters the gas tank holds (~100 for my truck), just like you do with imperial.
    Carmie

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Our Brotha Down Unda
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    I personally use the universal converter widget from yahoo widgets. Makes my life easier so i can focus on being a geek in other area's

Ive got afew widgets actually,

• Universal Converter ( absolutely awesome , +15 different conversion types, everything from area to flow rate! ),

• Battery Monitor (that actually works for the laptop)
    • Florescence World Clock (so i know what time you guys are awake from coast to coast)
    • Freespace (Custom drive space monitor)

Vquilibrium Productions

Insightful Reefer
    Thanks
    Well, frankly I don't see a reason to make the switch. Seriously. It is easy to convert a number you just have to think so you don't go ramming a multimillion dollar project into some other planet. But there are good reasons why not. 1. Exit Signs are in the Imperial system, all incremental distance designations are denoted every mile, 2. many products are standardized in imperial system (8.5 x 11 paper), 3. Imperial system is more complicated. So what does that mean, it is very expensive to convert over and if you have to convert, it is easier to have the easier method as the non standard than have the more complicated system as the non standard. Think about it. Once you do the base conversion then figuring out the rest between kilo's and milli's is easy. But if you don't normally think 12 inches and 5280 ft/mile or 2000 lbs per ton then that conversion is a bit harder. Sorry V, the rest of the world takes the route that is easy for idiots while the Americans love to live with a good challenge every day hehehe....

And yes, we were told we would be on Metric sometime soon way back when. Just like we would right now have people living and working on the moon and a hollowed out asteroid circling the planet with an entire biosphere built inside getting ready to head out to the Andromeda galaxy at faster than light speed. I think they were measuring some product in kilos or something when they came up with those ideas....
    PapaMcEuin
    Family Reefer

Our Brotha Down Unda
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    lol, gold responce bud, loved it!

Vquilibrium Productions

Thread Information