Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: V's Mayan Cascade Tank - Concept to Completion

Our Brotha Down Unda
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Yup, i love kayaking & canoeing. There's like a funky dense mist blanket everywhere this morning so in the interest of safety today, Tuesday will be the next i'll try again.
    Im not supprised the mist is so thick, it was fine yesterday, hot & 38deg followed by massive storms with humid air. then it must have dropped in temp overnight.

As for the build, Its actually its closer to 7ft(squared) than 6, . i did say 3.07X bigger didn't I, hmmm, i could have been off alittle maybe. cant take me anywhere

i re-crunched some numbers & found out a few things. short of bolting it together,(which believe me, was so .......so tempting) last night i managed to lay down enough wood for the baseline & side supports of the real project. wow it looked fantastic, everything is at the perfect height & visual comparative ratio sizing, so even without the slope walls on, it totally looked the part. My mate being formally in the aquarium trade had invited quite a few people to view it & the visually completed nano version. Lets just say a very distinct indication that the popularity of my eschelon design ideas will be sought after very soon, & that venturing should be a top priority. I'll give it some thought anyways.

So anyways, back to the story....Unfortunately the harsh reality is however i may never be able to bring it home to enjoy it for myself. Ive got two parts of the house i can place it given the sizing, a spare bedroom, which there goes the use of that room, & the other side of the kitchen island. which if the baseline is butted against the wall on the other side of the room, will give me 1.5ft only for the island stools.

I caught myself trying to convince myself thats ok.. , then the logical questions hit, like what are the other contributing factors.
    The sides rail out remember with the floating floor. BOOM, shutdown. Not to mention the door jams are only 800 wide (31.5inch), not the 880 i believed they were. so getting the sections in is prob toast & more akin to a trip to the doctor for a suppository

Im not wavered though, she's still going ahead. & thats a decision even after number crunching the $$ tags, all i can say is ouch!

We build these things, why??? , cause we can!!! The words Defeat & Cant should only ever be used for washing the dishes

Vquilibrium Productions

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by V View Post
    So anyways, back to the story....Unfortunately the harsh reality is however i may never be able to bring it home to enjoy it for myself. Ive got two parts of the house i can place it given the sizing, a spare bedroom, which there goes the use of that room, & the other side of the kitchen island. which if the baseline is butted against the wall on the other side of the room, will give me 1.5ft only for the island stools.

I caught myself trying to convince myself thats ok.. , then the logical questions hit, like what are the other contributing factors.
    The sides rail out remember with the floating floor. BOOM, shutdown. Not to mention the door jams are only 800 wide (31.5inch), not the 880 i believed they were. so getting the sections in is prob toast & more akin to a trip to the doctor for a suppository

Im not wavered though, she's still going ahead. & thats a decision even after number crunching the $$ tags, all i can say is ouch! [/B]
    Hmm, sounds to me like you need to do some re-evaluating with the budget, clearly you need to bull doze the house and re-build it based around the tank.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by meoklmrk91 View Post
    Hmm, sounds to me like you need to do some re-evaluating with the budget, clearly you need to bull doze the house and re-build it based around the tank.
    My thoughts exactly!
    Carmie

Only disasters happen fast!

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Show people you value their advice! Click the STAR icon at the bottom of the post to add to their reputation.

Our Brotha Down Unda
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    yeah i know, pretty crazy. I cant drop the sizing of the tanks to reduce the total footprint, it would just look to dinky.

Space utilization is a mere inconvenience, i sooooo need to buy another block & build a warehouse for my toys. Truth be known, i was more excited than anything realizing i had slightly under estimated the footprint. Im used to the bigger tank projects dont forget, sometimes its a hard habit to shake

Vquilibrium Productions

Thanks
    what if you changed the angles of the sides? you know, made it more narrow at the bottom. you could do this to allow it to be used in a normal home, plus i believe you could do it without buying more wood. or just make the whole thing shorter.
    we are all on the long road to our dream tanks, im going slow and enjoying the journey!

Our Brotha Down Unda
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    No Compromises, No Surrender bud! . They dont make Austin Martins Vanquishes by cutting corners to suit only one particular environment, they just build a superbly crafted gentlemen supercar by hand for those that appreciate it. The same principle applies here.

This is my supercar, hand crafted design with internals engineered to work & compliment the shape. If it happens to be enjoyed by masses of people by being deployed somewhere along the lines of large popular LFS, Convention, Aquarium, or Promotional then who could argue with that!

Besides, i can always build another for myself when living conditions change. Not to mention ive got a list (no sh^T) a project book page long just waiting to be produced. As for this build, if im selling it, all completely new components are in order, new brace-less tank ect ect. As the buyer i wouldn't expect anything less.

Vquilibrium Productions

Our Brotha Down Unda
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    I had hoped to finnish the framing before the christmas rush, so i'll aim to have it started over the coming weekends id say. wow, there is only like 5 weeks or so till christmas, its getting quicker every year id say!

Vquilibrium Productions

Thanks
    V,

After reading your Mayan cascade build thread........ my 450 build "surprisingly" does'nt seem so difficult.

Our Brotha Down Unda
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    its all bout perspective

Vquilibrium Productions

Thanks
    V- I'm very interested in how your tank progresses, I totally suck at all things carpentry so when someone obviously knows what they are doing it is very cool.
    I want a 55 gallon tank filled with rainbow gravel and one ghost shrimp.

Our Brotha Down Unda
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    yeah man, you & me both. Its a kick @ss project that im def not ashamed to say im enjoying immensely .

However dude, im by no means a DIY maniac with orsome skills in all things carpentry, in fact quite the opposite.
    I must of been born with a silver spoon in my mouth, ether that or my oldies must have let me ride way to easy.
    A naughty, switched on, good looking kid that had the smarts to use that to the advantage, however in the same breath up there on the "Strangely Weird" top ten listings. They call them Ism's i believe...
    Challenging the insane category & smashing it for a home run by being fundamentally astute bout NOT getting dirty.

My way of thinking was that i could just pay to get everything done, & if i ever needed to get dirty it meant the day some element in life would go horribly wrong & potentially i would witness the onslaught of being broke! ...And trust me, back then that was just never going to happen....!!!!!

Fast forward to today bud & the stakes have changed for all of us. ive personally been on the brink of wondering where im going to live tomorrow.

Situations like this change a man bud, That silver spoon is melted down & molded into something for one of my projects these days. I stopped being lazy & rolled up sleves & just said f%^k it, how hard can it be & literally let my creative mind off the leash. If i can do it, mate, anyone can

Vquilibrium Productions

Thanks
    Situations like this change a man bud, That silver spoon is melted down & molded into something for one of my projects these days. I stopped being lazy & rolled up sleves & just said f%^k it, how hard can it be & literally let my creative mind off the leash. If i can do it, mate, anyone can
    Hear Hear!!! While I'm not proud of rocky times and parts of my life, I am proud of how it's shaped me. Someone once told me the opposite of growth is death, if your not learning and growing, your dyin.
    ~J

Our Brotha Down Unda
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    thats about the extent of it bud.

Since starting this project, ive come up with no fewer than 5 different cascade concepts. All of which are completely nuts. I so totally scare myself, If i had a blank check book, the world would never be the same again i tell you..lol

Vquilibrium Productions

Our Brotha Down Unda
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Important service announcement to all my die hard apple wielding fans.

The project is on hold untill further notice.

Funny story actually, in an attempt to remove the super glue from phursty's lips, I unfortunately become stuck myself. Now im forced to type what he attempts to speak & he scratches that itch i can no longer reach on my butt!!

narrr just kidden, powering down for the holiday times, regular broadcasting will know doubt start up again early 2010

Vquilibrium Productions

Thanks
    Funny story actually, in an attempt to remove the super glue from phursty's lips, I unfortunately become stuck myself. Now im forced to type what he attempts to speak & he scratches that itch i can no longer reach on my butt!!
    and you all think I'm a nutcase??.... lol
    ~J

Our Brotha Down Unda
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    oh yeah, cant take me anywhere

Vquilibrium Productions

Our Brotha Down Unda
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    would you look at that, im the 1000 visitor to my own thread. Wholly cow, if only 1% of them ive corrupted to the strange ways of the force, thats still one to many people..lol

Vquilibrium Productions

Our Brotha Down Unda
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Given economic events, Sponsorship & ownership is available folks

Vquilibrium Productions

Expert Reefer
    Thanks
    Ok, after reading through your thread I can see why you think I should put more thought into things and draw designs. Someone with your talents should be able to make a profit designing systems for people who really just like the fish part of this hobby, you know those people that just willy nilly start drilling.

Our Brotha Down Unda
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    so, you were the one that read my thread... nice!

I wouldn't go so far as to say i have talent, the only differences i can see is that i like to challenge the boundaries of normal perception on purpose. Nothing more. As for the rest....well.... that's just everything that lays in my wake.

Although making a profit on such things would be a novel idea.

V's free advise for the day, "You plan to see where your going, not where you've been."

Vquilibrium Productions

Thanks
    ok V, its time to start pawning stuff off, selling body parts or whatever you need to do. i want to see this tank done!
    we are all on the long road to our dream tanks, im going slow and enjoying the journey!

Our Brotha Down Unda
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Yeah, been there, done that already. I refuse to let go of my fav car & the cat, but everything else is scattered to the wind.
    I'd love to see it built too, just the reality is ive got more important stuff to take care of first.

Vquilibrium Productions

Thanks
    i hear that my friend. family first, bills second, and pleasures third.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread Information