Thread: IS this good?: AquaSafe 7 Stage Ro/Di

Thanks

IS this good?: AquaSafe 7 Stage Ro/Di

I just found someone selling this RODI filter and I have NO CLUE about RODI systems please someone help me out. I am almost 2 months into Reefkeeping(I have a 29 G tank) so still wet behind the ears

The RODI system for sale is a 7 stage 100gpd AquaSafe, for $70 Is this a good filter and a good price? What are some questions to ask about the unit? I never heard of 7 stage only up to 5 stages, he said the extra two stages is to make sure the water stays as pure as it can be.

Any recommendations of another type of RODI filter if this one isnt good?

Marcella

"Ariel, listen to me. The human world its a mess! Life under the sea is better than anything they got up there! "
    ~Sebastian the Crab
    from the Little Mermaid
    .... The seaweed is always greener in somebody else's lake

Thanks
    I answered in your other thread but basically its a low end drinking water filter not reef quality. With RO/DI you really do get what you pay for and a reef quality system should start at about $135 and up new. With all the necessary bells and whistles like a TDS meter, pressure gauge, bypass valve, thermometer and more you are looking at $169 out the door. Much higher quality components and filters and much longer DI life.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    At $70 my guess is it is used. I have an Aqua Safe 5 stage that was $140 new. It works just fine. The drinking water units are RO only or have the RO split from the DI. Drinking RO/DI water is not good for you. Mine is an RO/DI with the RO line split, one going to a reserve drinking water pressure tank and the other going to the DI cartridge. The RO/DI water goes into 55 gallon barrel.

The components, eg, micron filter, charcol filter, DI resin, RO membrane are made buy one or two companies. the parts are bought by many EOM companies and assembled, their label slapped on and sold to us.

You might ask how old the unit is, what is the TDS number of the finished water, what guarantee comes with it.

It would be a good buy if it is in like new condition.

Dick
    Amphibious

Good Luck comes to those who research and prepare.

Our Talking Reef Forum The Cultured Reef Forum
    My tank journal Amphibious' 135 mixed reef.
    The Cutured Reef toll free number - 888 745-0449

Amblyeleotris randalli commonly, Randall's Goby.

Thanks
    I have been reading everything on this thread and just trying to absorb it all. Its so much info about a topic I dont have a clue about.

The unit in question is a used one. Someone is selling it on a local reefing site that I joined. He actually sent me an email saying he will sell it to me for $50 bc I am new to this hobby. What do you think? Is it going to be a bad thing? he said I will have to buy the filters but that I would have done anyway.

Marcella

"Ariel, listen to me. The human world its a mess! Life under the sea is better than anything they got up there! "
    ~Sebastian the Crab
    from the Little Mermaid
    .... The seaweed is always greener in somebody else's lake

Thanks
    It sounds like you would be $ ahead buying new. You should consider a 4 canister RO/DI as a minimum and a 5 as max. I could be wrong but to me anything more is unnecessary overkill. I don't think you can go wrong with a good brand name. I would listen to Az and get one with the .5 or .6 micron pre-filter.

Tom

Thanks
    If you consider all you are getting is the housings $50 may be fair but there are better quality housings with UPC ratings on them. I really try to shy away from the ebay quality systems. You will get different opinions but most have not see good an mediocre units side by side for comparison so really its only an opinion not based on any fact or comparison.

To give you ar idea of the difference between good and bad or middle of the road systems take a look at this one here on sale for $149, the second one down.

SpectraPure Customer Appreciation SALE! 20% - 50% off

For $149 you get a 1 micron high quality name brand prefilter, a 1 micron Matrikx carbon block, a specially treated and batch tested 90 GPD RO membrane, a full sized 20 oz refillable DI filter engineered for maximum DI life with bottom up vertical flow, an inline pressure gauge, a dual inline TDS meter to monitor RO membrane and DI resin condition and Spectrapures proprietary custom hand blended SilicaBuster DI resin with much higher capacity than regular mixed bed resins. They also use only John Guest speed fittings not the old compression fittings like FD or WG and they use a capillary tube type flow restrictor for an exact 4:1 waste ratio.

Figure the cost of adding a TDS meter, vertical DI, new prefilter, carbon, DI resin, possibly a membrane if you don't know its condition, an inline pressure gauge etc. , to your $50 purchase and you probably figure out its easier and cheaper to buy new with a warranty and a company to back it up.

Another example can be found in the 75 GPD Premium found here for $169 with pretty much the same things as above but a slightly better carbon block and an DI bypass valve and a handheld TDS meter instead of an inline.

Premium Series RODI System :: Premium Series :: RODI Systems :: Buckeye Field Supply, Ltd.

Or this one again at $149 but no TDS meter:

http://www.purelyh2o.com/index.php?p...art&Itemid=105

Buying used can be a good idea in some cases but I don't like to chance water quality.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    By the time you replace the filters you'll have the cost of a new one, or there about. I'd go for a new 5 stage RO/DI of 100 gpd. Why 100 gpd? Because that's the theoretical output under ideal pressures and conditions. Also if you upgrade to that 150 your thinking about you'll be set.

Dick
    Amphibious

Good Luck comes to those who research and prepare.

Our Talking Reef Forum The Cultured Reef Forum
    My tank journal Amphibious' 135 mixed reef.
    The Cutured Reef toll free number - 888 745-0449

Amblyeleotris randalli commonly, Randall's Goby.

Thanks
    DO NOT get a 100GPD if it uses a Dow Filmtec membrane! They are not an RO membrane but are a 90% rejection rate nano filter, stick with the 75 GPD at 98% rejection and ignore the word "stages". More is not better. Look for micron sizes and brand names, one prefilter, one carbon block, one membrane and one DI, thats 4 stages, no more no less.

Apprentice
    Thanks
    There are some instances where more than 4 stages are needed, but for the most part, in typical situations, AZ is right on the money.

If you have a large tank and want water faster than a 75 gpd membrane will make it, there are work-arounds for that.

Russ

Thread Information