Thread: Goniopora help

Thanks

Goniopora help

Does anyone have any tips out there on keeping a thriving goniopora (Goniopora stokesi)? I have one a little bigger than a softball for about 4 months now, and i'm waiting for the 6 month time period when it's suppose to start losing polyps. Its currently under 2x96 watt 10,000K PC 2x96 watt 454's Actinic, and directly under a 250 watt 20,000k MH...in the one side of 125 gallon tank....I dose 16 drops of iron and 16 of iodine and the CA is 450-500. I have noticed baby polyps forming and some of the polyp holes actually split in two and form two smaller polyps. I just fear the curse of the goniopora and would like to see if anyone else has used any other methods so I can apply them if things go wrong.new 125 039 2.jpgThanks

Sorry bout my first thread.....it's question time.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Hi James, Goniporas are very hard to take care of. Even the most experienced in this hobbie cant even take care of them but there are few out there that have them thriving in their tanks with no problems at all. I would listen to this podcast it gives lots of info on placement, lighting and more. http://www.talkingreef.com/forums/po...sode-45-a.html
    Ray or Raymond
    There is no elevator to success in marine tanks. You have to take the stairs.

Raymond's 30 gallon tank
    Raymond's 60 gallon tank

Show people you appreciate their advice! Click the star icon under their name to add to their reputation.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to rayme07 For This Useful Post:

ScubaBosh (05-08-2010)

Thanks
    Thanks for the info, Ray. I have eaten up alot of info on the goniopora and accept the challenge.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Cool lets us know how it works out for you.
    Ray or Raymond

Raymond's 30 gallon tank
    Raymond's 60 gallon tank

Show people you appreciate their advice! Click the star icon under their name to add to their reputation.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    I have avoided them because of their reputation. I definitely recommend the podcast Raymond posted. It almost made me decide to try one.
    Carmie

Only disasters happen fast!

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Show people you value their advice! Click the STAR icon at the bottom of the post to add to their reputation.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Carmie, If you do decide to try one I would recommend the green polyped one's I have heard they were easier.
    Ray or Raymond

Raymond's 30 gallon tank
    Raymond's 60 gallon tank

Thanks
    LARRY!!!!

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Very interesting. Thanks
    Ray or Raymond

Raymond's 30 gallon tank
    Raymond's 60 gallon tank

Thanks
    MORE FISH 125 048.JPGSorry, I got cut short with the last message...supposedly at the Fin and Feather, the owner has had so much success that he is fragging gonio and in Hawaii the goniopora there has taken up the entire tank,.(so says my friend, the owner of aquatic technology, here in columbia station,OH) direct sea water and sunlight is cheating though. Everyone should check out the website aquatictechnology.com (can i plug that?)...the iron comment was really interesting to me and thats why i added the 20g refuge and do 16 drops of iron a day. I figured if the gonio doesnt use the iron, the caluerpa will...so far he has been splitting and growing...his polyps went from sticking out an inch to extending 3-4"....
    ....Do it CarmieJo...don't let me be the only one...need more people for research.
    LARRY!!!!

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Hey James,

We are just fine with people linking to other sites when it adds to the discussion. Because we have paid sponsors (a big THANKS to them) we do not allow people to advertise their business in a general way. For example if I was to start up Carmie's Online Aquarium Supplies I could not put my website in my signature without being a paying sponsor.

I think the fact that you are having growth and good polyp extension is a very good sign. For me a goni will have to wait a while. My aquarium budget right now is about covering food and salt. But I will be following along with your thread and learning all I can.
    Carmie

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Show people you value their advice! Click the STAR icon at the bottom of the post to add to their reputation.

Thanks
    Are you still out there?? I have been avoiding them since the first week my tank was set up years ago, although I admire them everytime I see them! My new LFS has a beautiful red one and insists they are the hardiest. I am here doing my research and am about to read the article and watch the podcast. Is yours still doing ok? Anyone else have any luck?
    wow, time to update!!

125 gl reef
    37 gl sump/fuge
    3x250 20k radiums
    dual uverflows
    Most people have skeletons in their closet, mine are in my sump!

Thanks
    throwing it out there again, maybe I should have started a new thread!
    wow, time to update!!

125 gl reef
    37 gl sump/fuge
    3x250 20k radiums
    dual uverflows
    Most people have skeletons in their closet, mine are in my sump!

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    IMO, I would say none are the hardiest. Goniporas are quite hard to take care of and have special needs. The only one that I have seen live in tanks for about a year would be the green ones though.
    Ray or Raymond

Raymond's 30 gallon tank
    Raymond's 60 gallon tank

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Hey Laura,

I'd PM or email; James is in school and (at least for my hubby and son) it's finals week so he may not be checking the board.
    Carmie

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Thanks
    Thanks for covering for me CJ. Laura, hi. I had, yes had, a goniopora stokesi. For a long time I stayed on top of everything: the water quality, feeding cyclopeeez, Fe supplements, and array of lights, but in the end poor polyp ext and shrinkage is all that remained. I dug a lot on the internet and the only thing I can say is: stick with one that is aquacultured (like most of the corals we should buy) and go with the color red.... Goniopora somaliensis, this is the most popular cultured goniopora I have seen. Good luck. Write me if you need anything.
    LARRY!!!!

Thread Information