Thread: Finally Bought A Fish.... Sort Of....

Assistant Moderator Skurvey Dog's Avatar
    Thanks

Wink Finally Bought A Fish.... Sort Of....

Had a few of you going didn't I? I have a thing for mermaids and all ocean life decor as well as fantasy themed items, so needless to say when I ran into these 2 beauties, the temptation to acquire them was too great. They should fit in perfectly among the large water dragon, and various other yard adornments used to enhance and personalize my landscaping.

I find her amazingly remarkable and she is a little over 2 foot in length. She is made from cast iron and I know she will be something that will be passed down through our family for many generations.

Another view of her

Another mermaid, but she is not quite as large as the one above, but still beautifully detailed and enchanting just the same.

I just had to share the treasures I found with you because I am so very excited!

Will your voice count?
    One new reefer, another voice united with the many against ignorance and greed. Educate, influence, good stewardship, all in one accord to work together as a whole in saving our reefs.

"Get Reefy With It!"

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    What a wonderful find! They are beautiful!
    Carmie

Only disasters happen fast!

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Show people you value their advice! Click the STAR icon at the bottom of the post to add to their reputation.

Curious Reefer
    Thanks
    Hey Lori those are quite nice are they both cast iron. They would look great in the yard i'm sure.....Great score!

SPS Reefer / TR Admin lReef lKeeper's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    great score sis ...
    lReef lKeeper (Bobby) Admin and Reefer

Water ...
    Custom 4x2x1 60 gallon, 40B sump

Equipment ...
    6x54w HO T5 fixture, 300+g rated Frankenskimmer, ATO, 3 Media Reactors (1 p04, 1 N03, 1 Carbon)

www.lmas.org

Show people you appreciate their advice! Click the star icon under their name to add to their reputation.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    You certainly had me fooled I was getting all excited wondering what you got for your tank and found out its a mermaid lol and very beautiful mermaids at that they were a great find. Thanks for sharing.
    Ray or Raymond
    There is no elevator to success in marine tanks. You have to take the stairs.

Raymond's 30 gallon tank
    Raymond's 60 gallon tank

Show people you appreciate their advice! Click the star icon under their name to add to their reputation.

Thanks
    Very nice Lori! The one laying down looks much larger than two feet.

What a find.

Thanks
    Thanks guys! When I ran up on them and saw they were cast iron, I wanted them badly. I inherited my grand father's cast iron datshund boot-scaper a few years ago and it looks the exact same as it did when I was a small child. Very heavy too! I have concrete mermaids, but this will be my first "iron maiden."

I purchased these online and have not seen them yet as they should be delivered next week. The top mermaid does look big, and if I remember correctly, I think she measures either 26 or 27 inches. It must be the angle used for the shot that makes her look very large. They even had a life-size one!

I know, just haven't decided on a fish yet as I keep dragging my feet I guess. I just want to make the right choice. It's just the decision making process that's taking so long! Lol

Will your voice count?
    One new reefer, another voice united with the many against ignorance and greed. Educate, influence, good stewardship, all in one accord to work together as a whole in saving our reefs.

"Get Reefy With It!"

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Well big sister, they certainly look great I do like how much detail they have it's amazing. I would love to see a pic of your yard with them in it if you don't mind.

Choosing a fish for a tank is a big decision it took me a whole year to decide what I wanted it will come to you in time and I know it will look beautiful in your tank which ever fish you choose.
    Ray or Raymond

Raymond's 30 gallon tank
    Raymond's 60 gallon tank

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Those were good finds, Lori.

I love mermaids, too. Anyone surprised???

We found this one at an auction in Vero Beach about 7 years ago. Had to have a FL couple keep it for us until the house was built. At the time we didn't even have the property yet. All worked out well. She sits poolside. This was shot when she was new. The patina has weathered some since this pic.

I have another ceramic mermaid, too.
    Amphibious

Good Luck comes to those who research and prepare.

Our Talking Reef Forum The Cultured Reef Forum
    My tank journal Amphibious' 135 mixed reef.
    The Cutured Reef toll free number - 888 745-0449

Amblyeleotris randalli commonly, Randall's Goby.

Thanks
    Wow, they're beautiful! Great find!

I wish I had room to buy pretty things like that, but when you live in 300 square feed you get a little limited. Pretty much my only ornament that isn't also a table or a lamp is a big chromed ceramic piggy bank. I got him in Rome, and I just love him!

Yours is beautiful too Amp, you should send a pic of what it looks like now.

I can't wait to see pics of yours in your back yard Lori!
    I ought to be reading from casebooks, but reefs are so much more interesting!

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Great looking mermaid dick. What is she holding behind her head? Thanks for the pic.
    Ray or Raymond

Raymond's 30 gallon tank
    Raymond's 60 gallon tank

Thanks
    Thanks Lil Brother and Stef! Once I decide where they'll go, I'll get the Scottsman to cut the lawn diagnally and take some shots. Lol Might be a while..... I have a bad habit of making up my mind where to place things even though I "decided" where I wanted it to go when I bought them.

Wow Dick! She is a dream. I bet she has weathered up beautifully and has a lot of charm and character. I'm picking up where Ray left off..... is she holding a shell? If you have shots handy of the ceramic water nymph, I'd really like to see her!

Will your voice count?

"Get Reefy With It!"

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    lol I know what you mean of placement when I get a new coral it takes me over an hour to decide which place I like to set it. It does kind of look like a shell but I couldn't really tell must be my bad eyes. LOL
    Ray or Raymond

Raymond's 30 gallon tank
    Raymond's 60 gallon tank

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Yes she is holding a Triton shell. She is a pool "squirter", although we don't have her hooked up. The supply line is underneath where she sits, just never connected the line. The water runs out the shell into the pool. Someday, I'll connect it. Here is a shot from today...

I may find a polish to bring her back to original glory. Below is the ceramic mermaid...

She is 21" long. It is a Royal Haeger collectable ceramic pot I got at auction many years ago for $16. Not a bad find.

And along the same lines as this thread began, "Finally Bought A Fish.... Sort Of...." Sue collects "piggy banks" and in her searching found one especially for me.

Not a "piggy" but a wonderful "Flower Power" fish bank. Yes, I use it for my change.

Dick
    Amphibious

Good Luck comes to those who research and prepare.

Our Talking Reef Forum The Cultured Reef Forum
    My tank journal Amphibious' 135 mixed reef.
    The Cutured Reef toll free number - 888 745-0449

Amblyeleotris randalli commonly, Randall's Goby.

Thanks
    My vote: I like the weathered look!

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Great looking pool ornaments dick. Thanks
    Ray or Raymond

Raymond's 30 gallon tank
    Raymond's 60 gallon tank

Thanks
    I love her weathered look also! It gives her more charm, and magic. I love your ceramic mermaid and the fish! I have some rather odd pieces myself! Lol In my spa/sun room I have several whimsical, ceramic fish with puckered kissing lips hanging from the ceiling, along with 2 large dragonflies over a indoor fountain. Lol That room is quite the aquatic collective of oddity!

Will your voice count?

"Get Reefy With It!"

Thread Information