Page 6 of 32 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 16 ... LastLast

Thread: Gimmito's 450 L-shaped display

Thanks
    Oops, the ATI Sunpower fixtures only go to 6x54w...

http://www.reefgeek.com/lighting/T5_...ower_Fixtures/

This might still work, giving you a better range of PAR in the prop tank at the back/front for LPS/Softies, while the center would be the SPS zone. The fixture would probably be hung 4-6" over the water surface would guess.

Thanks
    Scott,

I'm thinking of setting up the frag tank first at this point...I can get a head start on frags for the main display.

You must have an alert on your computer whenever a score deal comes up on skimmers !

I have to agree with you regarding the bubble master...was'nt too long ago that was the it skimmer. The octopus & vertex get generally favorable reviews, but the one complaint I hear about the vertex skimmers are the resun pumps( which I never heard of). The sicce pumps used on the octopus skimmers are tried and true. I'll pm the guy regarding the h & s skimmer though.

I'm a fan of T5's also. A friend of mine in the business has a aquatinics TX5 (which I had on my 75 gal) & constellation for sale along w/ the aforementioned sunlight mh/T5 fixture...I'll see what's in the budget.
    Last edited by gimmito; 08-20-2009 at 05:09 AM.

Thanks
    LOL... I subscribe to all the reef classified forums because I am such a dork. It is my morning reading...

News Flash: Someone is selling a Warner Marine S150 for $250. Nice skimmer with great built quality, but consumes a whopping 70w and has a big footprint:

FS: Warner Marine "S" Series S kimmer - Reef Discussion Community

A 7 bulb Constellation would be very sweet. I do not see these being sold used too often, but I will let you know if I see anything.

I think the Gen2 Vertex pumps have been faring much better than the previous model, but have read the same thing. I would make sure to buy one NEW from Premium Aquatics (or other place with equally reputable service) so the pump is covered by warranty in case it bags out. PA is aware of the past issue, so they should be quicker to respond with a replacement if necessary.

That was a Sunlight Supply fixture? Do you know what model? I looked on their website, but did not see a dual 150w fixture, just a ballast.

Thanks
    I saw this at Reef2Reef after I bought my frag tank...how close are you to corona, ca ??

FS: Acrylic 60g frag tank and stand

I believe the sunlight fixture is a used model....I'l try and get some more info.

Thanks
    Setting up the frag tank first is a great idea Jim!
    I ought to be reading from casebooks, but reefs are so much more interesting!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by gimmito View Post
    I saw this at Reef2Reef after I bought my frag tank...how close are you to corona, ca ??

FS: Acrylic 60g frag tank and stand

Corona is not too far. StanD (the seller) is a good guy. He sets up a lot of Group Buys for the local forums, and sells things quite often.

I like the open stand. Looks like the sale is pending...but I'm not really looking for a frag tank anyway...I already spend too much time obsessing over my tiny tank...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by stefalopod View Post
    Setting up the frag tank first is a great idea Jim!
    Stefani,

Not to mention "a lot" cheaper !

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rroselavy View Post
    Corona is not too far. StanD (the seller) is a good guy. He sets up a lot of Group Buys for the local forums, and sells things quite often.

I like the open stand. Looks like the sale is pending...but I'm not really looking for a frag tank anyway...I already spend too much time obsessing over my tiny tank...
    He sounds like a straight up guy...If I was in the LA area I would have been all over that deal ! I wonder if he made or bought that light stand...very cool !!

Let me know if you guys ever do a apogee quantum meter group buy. I heard Melev of reefcast put together one not to long ago and they got their meters for $150 or half off the retail price. I think you need to get at least 50 orders to qualify for the discount.

Thanks again for the heads up on the H & S skimmer...I just got off the phone with Dave and I'll be getting it w/ the pump for 2 bills shipped...not bad eh ? I think in the long run I won't worry about the pumps or make...does this mean I have to get the in sump H & S 250 for the 450 ??
    Last edited by gimmito; 08-20-2009 at 04:39 PM.

Thanks
    On a side note.. I ordered some reefing books to add to the library:

Angelfish by Kiyoshi Endoh

Marine Chemistry by Chris Brightwell

Breeders Guide by Matt Wittenrich

Thanks
    I decided to go with a vortech mp40 gen2 pump to go with my other mp40 gen1 pump for the prop tank. I think it will give me plenty of flow for the pt and I can upgrade the gen1 pump I have to a gen2 at the same time. I got a score deal from socaltropicalfish.

Also, I'm intrigued with the aquatinics solar flare T5 set up. It's a 6 bulb fixture with 2 fans and a very high output of 510 watts...that would be 8.5 watts per gallon over the prop tank !
    Last edited by gimmito; 08-21-2009 at 02:21 AM.

Thanks
    I decided to go with a vortech mp40 gen2 pump to go with my other mp40 gen1 pump for the prop tank. I think it will give me plenty of flow for the pt and I can upgrade the gen1 pump I have to a gen2 at the same time. I got a score deal from socaltropicalfish.

Also, I'm intrigued with the aquatinics solar flare T5 set up. It's a 6 bulb fixture with 4 fans and a very high output of 510 watts...that would be 8.5 watts per gallon over the prop tank !
    FWIW: You should be able to upgrade the vortech gen1 to a gen2 for a modest price. Just order the new wetside magnet ($9 from ecotech?), and wirelessly upgrade your firmware from your new Gen2 to the Gen1 driver.

I read one thread on replacing T5 bulbs. According to the posters, you have to switch out VHO fixture bulbs more often since they are overdriven. I cannot remember if the consensus was every 3 or 6 months...worth looking into...

Thanks
    I just got done talking to Steve over at ecotech...great guy. We talked at length on how to position the vortechs on the 450 to maximize flow. He said 4 would do & suggested building some dry overflows in the rear corners of the tank and making a cross pattern... I'll have to look into that.

Thanks for the heads up on the overdriven T5's...I'll do some research.

Thanks
    On a side note.. I ordered some reefing books to add to the library:

Marine Chemistry by Chris Brightwell
    Let us know how this one is...out of all the books in my reef library - I do not have one dedicated to chemistry.

Is that Chris Brightwell of Brightwell Aquatics?

LOL. One review on Amazon concluded with the following (astute) statement about this book:

As a last comment, in my opinion, the information in this book is as up-to-date as any marine aquarium hobbyist of any skill level needs it to be. Further, it explains concepts in a comprehensive, yet easy to understand, manner, whereas articles written in Reef Central magazine tend to be verbose and seem to reflect an effort of the author to talk over the head of their readers.

Thanks
    Let us know how this one is...out of all the books in my reef library - I do not have one dedicated to chemistry.

Is that Chris Brightwell of Brightwell Aquatics?

LOL. One review on Amazon concluded with the following (astute) statement about this book:
    Scott,

Yes, it is Chris Brightwell of Brightwell Aquatics.

From thumbing through the book it's written in laymans terms. Chapters 1-19 are dedicated to water parameters (salinity,ph, akalinity, redox,dom,etc.), the nitrogen cycle, natural & synthetic seawater,trace elements,test kits, etc. Chapters 20-23 deal w/water purification, ro/di,etc. At the end are various charts, tables, calculation, & chemical reactions. A good pickup for the money IMHO.

I was listening to a old reefcast and the solar flare was reviewed and the lamps on those things are suppose to have a 2 year life !

If that's true....I'm really interested !!

Thanks

I scored a 29 gal truvu sump/fuge from my buddy Mike...Whoot !

Thanks

I also scored a couple of bags of aragonite courtesy of the fish doctor.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Nice scores!
    Carmie

Only disasters happen fast!

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Show people you value their advice! Click the STAR icon at the bottom of the post to add to their reputation.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Awesome congrats.
    Ray or Raymond
    There is no elevator to success in marine tanks. You have to take the stairs.

Raymond's 30 gallon tank
    Raymond's 60 gallon tank

Show people you appreciate their advice! Click the star icon under their name to add to their reputation.

Thanks

A nice way to start a monday...my new vortech mp40 gen2 came in.

A plug for Tom at socaltropicalaquarium...good price & service !

Thanks

It's nice to see that the guys at ecotech marine are continually improving their products. The new wet seal looks solid and I can't wait to sync & upgrade the firmware on my other mp40.

Now if I can only find a deal on a 48" MH/T5 fixture.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Great looking Vortech's. Those should give you awesome flow and wave action.
    Ray or Raymond
    There is no elevator to success in marine tanks. You have to take the stairs.

Raymond's 30 gallon tank
    Raymond's 60 gallon tank

Show people you appreciate their advice! Click the star icon under their name to add to their reputation.

Our Brotha Down Unda
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    always nice recieving new toys regardless of delivery means- enjoy it as long as you can i say..lol

Vquilibrium Productions

Thanks
    V-

You know the old saying:

What is the difference between a man and a boy ?

The "price" of his toys !

Good to hear from you again mate,

Jim
    Last edited by gimmito; 08-25-2009 at 04:30 PM.

Thanks
    Let me know if you guys ever do a apogee quantum meter group buy. I heard Melev of reefcast put together one not to long ago and they got their meters for $150 or half off the retail price. I think you need to get at least 50 orders to qualify for the discount.
    I recently bit the bullet and bought an Apogee to help me transition to my new T5HO fixture. I had no idea what PAR values to expect aftr 1.5 years of LED, so it came in handy. Also used it to determine my refugium bulb intensity, and will be using it to determine bulb life. AquariumSpecialty.com has the best price w. free shipping, but no where near the RC group buy price. If I see a GB thread on any forum, I'll let you know. Highly recommended.

Thanks again for the heads up on the H & S skimmer...I just got off the phone with Dave and I'll be getting it w/ the pump for 2 bills shipped...not bad eh ? I think in the long run I won't worry about the pumps or make...does this mean I have to get the in sump H & S 250 for the 450 ??
    Hehe. Let's see if you like the A110-f2000. Great buy for a recirc. If your ever done with it and want to sell it, keep me in mind - I may want to buy it off of you by that time. I really like my 90-f1000. It is very consistent for a baby skimmer.

David Fason is getting a iTech 100, which I am very curious about as well...

Thanks
    I recently bit the bullet and bought an Apogee to help me transition to my new T5HO fixture. I had no idea what PAR values to expect aftr 1.5 years of LED, so it came in handy. Also used it to determine my refugium bulb intensity, and will be using it to determine bulb life. AquariumSpecialty.com has the best price w. free shipping, but no where near the RC group buy price. If I see a GB thread on any forum, I'll let you know. Highly recommended.

Hehe. Let's see if you like the A110-f2000. Great buy for a recirc. If your ever done with it and want to sell it, keep me in mind - I may want to buy it off of you by that time. I really like my 90-f1000. It is very consistent for a baby skimmer.David Fason is getting a iTech 100, which I am very curious about as well...
    Thanks for the heads up on the apogee. I think a par meter is just as important as a refractometer. The amount of money we spend on corals in this hobby, you would be crazy not to have one.

I'm interested to see what readings you get going from a LED setup to a T5HO setup.

I should be getting the skimmer this week, Dave said he would give it a good cleaning over the weekend and would ship today. He was a pleasure to do business with.

You will be the first one I let know if I ever decide to sell the H&S A110/F2000.

I have a lead on a used aquatinics 48" dual 175 watt MH/T5 fixture...I'll let you know if I get it.

Page 6 of 32 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 16 ... LastLast

Thread Information