Thanks
    I hope this thing is level..LOL.

Thanks
    Daddy's LiL' Helper.

Thanks
    Tank full of kid's !

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Your tank looks great I cant wait till it gets water in it.
    Ray or Raymond
    There is no elevator to success in marine tanks. You have to take the stairs.

Raymond's 30 gallon tank
    Raymond's 60 gallon tank

Show people you appreciate their advice! Click the star icon under their name to add to their reputation.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by gimmito View Post
    Steve is a good guy over at Lucky Fish, he will usually steer you the right way regarding fish & corals

You might want to checkout Chris at Aquatic Central over on Ocean ave. And Ocean Treasures over on Duboce st.

I'm not sure if you have to pay dues when you register at BARS.

Jim
    I'm totally with you about Steve. I've got some store credit that I keep forgetting to use and every time I go in there he asks me if I brought the card with me =)

Your tank looks amazing! The winch was a good idea! I can't wait to see it in place. I'm having trouble understanding the shape of it... it looks complicated =)

I've got a class that ends tomorrow. Maybe I'll celebrate by checkign out Aquatic Central =)
    I ought to be reading from casebooks, but reefs are so much more interesting!

Expert Reefer
    Thanks
    nice project the tank look's great can't wait to see more on the progress.

lance
    http://s704.photobucket.com/albums/ww49/lancelesko/
    http://www.youtube.com/user/CoralMan24
    www.marinebreeder.org

Quarantine quarantine quarantine your tank's will thank you and so will your corals u'll also avoid a lot of aggravation with pests, predators, or disease's that come on coral's or live rock or fish

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rayme07 View Post
    Your tank looks great I cant wait till it gets water in it.
    Rayme07,

I hope to get the tank set up by the end of the year, but I have a remodel to worry about !

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by stefalopod View Post
    I'm totally with you about Steve. I've got some store credit that I keep forgetting to use and every time I go in there he asks me if I brought the card with me =)

Your tank looks amazing! The winch was a good idea! I can't wait to see it in place. I'm having trouble understanding the shape of it... it looks complicated =)

I've got a class that ends tomorrow. Maybe I'll celebrate by checkign out Aquatic Central =)
    Stefalopod,

Tell Steve at LF & Chris at AC I said hello.

Thanks for the compliment on the tank. The winch made it possible to move that beast with only 4 guys. The tank is basically a 6' w x 4' d x 32" h tank. It's sort of an L-shaped b/c I had to wrap it around a post that is in the way. It will be viewable from 3 sides since it extends into the living room a little over 2'. I hope to pattern it after Steve Weast 500 display found in Ultimate Marine Aquariums by Mike Paletta. Basically, what I want to do is a canyon effect as opposed to a rock wall.

Jim

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by lance View Post
    nice project the tank look's great can't wait to see more on the progress.

lance
    Lance,

Thanks for the kind words...by the way, beautiful pic's of the discus !

Jim
    Last edited by gimmito; 07-22-2009 at 02:38 AM.

Thanks
    Stefalopod,

what I want to do is a canyon effect as opposed to a rock wall.

Jim
    I really love that look, it gives the tank so much depth, and I feel like it might be a little more efficient for placing corals too. Wow, you're going to have a lot of possibilities with this system.

I'll be sure to say Hi for you =)

Thanks
    I really love that look, it gives the tank so much depth, and I feel like it might be a little more efficient for placing corals too. Wow, you're going to have a lot of possibilities with this system.

I'll be sure to say Hi for you =)
    I was checking out your sight...very cool biorb reef.
    How's the turf scrubber working out for you ? I've never seen one quite that size. We also have the same 18v makita drill...I absolutely love mine and the impact drill to boot.

FYI...Mike Paletta is suppose to be coming out with a ultimate large aquariums book (500 gal and larger). Although, that was a year ago when I went to Imac West Coast.

Jim
    Last edited by gimmito; 07-22-2009 at 02:39 AM.

Thanks
    Woah. Cool project.

One great thing about this tank is the opportunity to have a sense of depth to the aquascape. Having 4' of tank to look through really begs careful placement of LR to help convey that sense. I'll have to dig up some threads of other reef aquariums that do the same thing. Do you have any ideas on this yet?

I'll definitely be following...

The H&S A250 would probably give you better adjustability, and can also be placed in-sump I believe. There seem to be several high end skimmers out there in that size. Looks like you whittled it down to two good choices.

I wonder if an iTech 400 cone skimmer would be a good match...or a Medium ATB cone skimmer...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rroselavy View Post
    Woah. Cool project.

One great thing about this tank is the opportunity to have a sense of depth to the aquascape. Having 4' of tank to look through really begs careful placement of LR to help convey that sense. I'll have to dig up some threads of other reef aquariums that do the same thing. Do you have any ideas on this yet?

I'll definitely be following...

The H&S A250 would probably give you better adjustability, and can also be placed in-sump I believe. There seem to be several high end skimmers out there in that size. Looks like you whittled it down to two good choices.

I wonder if an iTech 400 cone skimmer would be a good match...or a Medium ATB cone skimmer...
    Greetings RRoselavy,

I will most likely be using Marco Rock w/ acrylic rods that will be sitting atop of a pvc frame. That way I can create some caves and overhangs. I have a removeable sheet of blue acrylic on the rear of the tank. I will put a led light in the middle of the tank to give a sense of depth when the moonlights are on at night.

I have been reading up on skimmers, lights, pumps, controllers, etc. The H&S 250 is a in sump model and would save me quite a bit of space. I have a friend who is a dealer for all the afore mentioned skimmers an he recommends the H&S 250.

How's your tank ? Are you going to the IMAC West Coast ?

Jim

Thanks
    I was checking out your sight...very cool biorb reef.
    How's the turf scrubber working out for you ? I've never seen one quite that size. We also have the same 18v makita drill...I absolutely love mine and the impact drill to boot.

FYI...Mike Paletta is suppose to be coming out with a ultimate large aquariums book (500 gal and larger). Although, that was a year ago when I went to Imac West Coast.

Jim
    Thanks! The biorb has definitely been a challenge but it's coming along.

I'm loving the turf scrubber. I scrape a thick layer of algae off it about once a week, and congratulate myself that it's not growing on my rock.

OMG the Makita impact driver and power drill are one of my best purchases EVER. I had a handyman over who forgot his extension cord, he didn't believe me that the makita could plow through hundred year old oak 4x4. That was fun.

ATM I've looking for the 18v circular saw. It's a little pricey, but I use my skill saw all the time, so I might as well make it convenient and get a cordless one.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Jim, I am really going to enjoy following along with your build. Thanks for sharing the great pictures! I loved the tank full of kids.
    Carmie

Only disasters happen fast!

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Show people you value their advice! Click the STAR icon at the bottom of the post to add to their reputation.

Thanks

Tagging along for this one. What a great tank!!!
    Henry

Thanks
    Hey Jim, Have you thought about making your own live rock for this build? GARF has a product called agrocrete that makes some pretty convincing and very porous live rock. Since you've given yourself plenty of time, and you're a handy person, this might be a really good option for you. Plus you could let your kids build some of the rocks!

I wish I had an excuse to build some of this stuff, It would be like sculpture but you couldn't really go wrong!

Thanks
    I have been reading up on skimmers, lights, pumps, controllers, etc. The H&S 250 is a in sump model and would save me quite a bit of space. I have a friend who is a dealer for all the afore mentioned skimmers an he recommends the H&S 250.

How's your tank ? Are you going to the IMAC West Coast ?

Jim

The H&S is an awesome skimmer. The build quality and attention to detail in the H&S skimmers is really nice.

Imac West? I certainly want to go. We're going down to Comic Con this week on a business/family trip, so that should leave the next weekend free for me to steal away to IMAC for a few hours.

My tank is doing fine, thanks for asking. I just replaced my lighting with T5 HO, which I think will do wonders for some of my more light-starved corals. Colors are better too, but I did have to adjust my eyes going from a dimmer 22000k to super bright 14000k. I now realize that LED lighting is very polarized compared to T5 - colors look very different if I look straight down into than through the glass. I notice this in particular with my Derasa, he looks less brilliant through the glass. With the T5 HO fixture, he looks brilliant both ways...

I have a big project going on now with my tiny sump. I have rearranged things a bit to increase my refugium space, which means that I am testing two new skimmers to see which one works best. One of them is a baby H&S...

Here's a crappy FTS with my iPhone (yes, those are tufts of Maiden's Hair):

Here's some new additions in my attempts to add blue corals to the tank. Also a crappy iPhone pic. This QT is being lit by my Solaris. You can really see the color difference between the two pics:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by spanko View Post

Tagging along for this one. What a great tank!!!
    Thanks Spanko !

Thanks
    Hey Jim, Have you thought about making your own live rock for this build? GARF has a product called agrocrete that makes some pretty convincing and very porous live rock. Since you've given yourself plenty of time, and you're a handy person, this might be a really good option for you. Plus you could let your kids build some of the rocks!

I wish I had an excuse to build some of this stuff, It would be like sculpture but you couldn't really go wrong!
    Stephanie,

I have heard of garf and agrocrete...I'll have to look into it.

I'm sure my kids would love to help make it !

Jim

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rroselavy View Post
    The H&S is an awesome skimmer. The build quality and attention to detail in the H&S skimmers is really nice.

Imac West? I certainly want to go. We're going down to Comic Con this week on a business/family trip, so that should leave the next weekend free for me to steal away to IMAC for a few hours.

My tank is doing fine, thanks for asking. I just replaced my lighting with T5 HO, which I think will do wonders for some of my more light-starved corals. Colors are better too, but I did have to adjust my eyes going from a dimmer 22000k to super bright 14000k. I now realize that LED lighting is very polarized compared to T5 - colors look very different if I look straight down into than through the glass. I notice this in particular with my Derasa, he looks less brilliant through the glass. With the T5 HO fixture, he looks brilliant both ways...

I have a big project going on now with my tiny sump. I have rearranged things a bit to increase my refugium space, which means that I am testing two new skimmers to see which one works best. One of them is a baby H&S...

Here's a crappy FTS with my iPhone (yes, those are tufts of Maiden's Hair):

Here's some new additions in my attempts to add blue corals to the tank. Also a crappy iPhone pic. This QT is being lit by my Solaris. You can really see the color difference between the two pics:

RRoselavy,

Beautiful tank & corals ! I know what you mean regarding T5's...I had a aquatinics TX5 on my old 75 and the mix of colors & brightness are remarkable.

Are you comic collector ? I collected for many years (mostly marvel,dc, & image). Of course I took up reefkeeping and as we all know something has to go.: I want to unload 25 long boxes and 10 shorties of comics...any recommendations ? I tried craigslist...and we know what kind of people you can get through there.

I think you insired me to start another thread on my red sea max.

Jim

p.s. Have fun at the comic con & imac west !!
    Last edited by gimmito; 07-24-2009 at 12:19 AM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CarmieJo View Post
    Jim, I am really going to enjoy following along with your build. Thanks for sharing the great pictures! I loved the tank full of kids.
    Hey CarmiJo,

Wait till I get some pic's of my son snorkeling in there !
    Last edited by gimmito; 07-24-2009 at 12:20 AM.

Thanks

Shot of left external overfow box. The overflow box is similar to a all glass mega flow box.
    Two 1 1/2" holes cut into bottom of overflows.

Thanks

Close up of teeth.

Page 2 of 32 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread Information