Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Macna 2010

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Macna 2010

Hi does anyone know where MACNA 2010 will be held at like which state and town because I would like to try and save up to go and it would help a lot. Thanks
    Ray or Raymond
    There is no elevator to success in marine tanks. You have to take the stairs.

Raymond's 30 gallon tank
    Raymond's 60 gallon tank

Show people you appreciate their advice! Click the star icon under their name to add to their reputation.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Raymond,

The next year's location it is always officially announced at MACNA although the host club will have already been working on it for months before.

MACNA 2007, 2008 and 2009 have all been in the east so maybe this one will go back to the mid-west or west. But it isn't just about geography, you have to have a club that is big enough to host an event of this size and a appropriate venue.
    Carmie

Only disasters happen fast!

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Show people you value their advice! Click the STAR icon at the bottom of the post to add to their reputation.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks Carmie I guess I will just save up as much as I can and hope I have enough to go where it may be.
    Ray or Raymond

Raymond's 30 gallon tank
    Raymond's 60 gallon tank

Show people you appreciate their advice! Click the star icon under their name to add to their reputation.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    That sounds like a plan! My brother in TX is getting married the weekend before MACNA XXI so I can't go this year. We will have to plan to meet up in 2010 Raymond!
    Carmie

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Show people you value their advice! Click the STAR icon at the bottom of the post to add to their reputation.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    That's a bummer but its great that your brother is getting married. I agree we will have to plan to meet up I want to meet as many people as I can from TR I'm getting excited about it now. lol How much do you think I need to save up I was guessing around $700. Thanks again Carmie.
    Last edited by rayme07; 07-14-2009 at 01:07 AM.
    Ray or Raymond

Raymond's 30 gallon tank
    Raymond's 60 gallon tank

Thanks
    We would hope it would get back to West at some point, but as Carmie said its the clubs that are awarded it so you need one with enough organization and drive to make it happen. As a BOD in a local club, I know its tough to pull everyone together just to do a local event like a frag swap and adding the layers of organization needed to pull this off isn't for every club. I am not sure the last time a big club like BAR in the Bay Area or a LA reef club put together a package to try and host. I am pretty sure if one of these areas put in a solid package to host, it would be approved.

In the meantime, there are a bunch of great events down in the LA/Orange County area. MAX (Marine Aquarium Expo), Reef-a-palooza and IMAC West to name a few. With the number of wholesalers and businesses around the area, you get a lot of great turnout of vendors, manufacturers and speakers many of the same that attend MACNA.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks Brian I was planning to also if funds allow me to, to go to those events to. I was wanting to go to MAX this year but again funds didn't pull through so I'm hoping next year I will be able to.
    Ray or Raymond

Raymond's 30 gallon tank
    Raymond's 60 gallon tank

Thanks
    I'm personally hoping for a West Coast swing otherwise its probably going to be years before I go. As great as it sounds with airfare, hotel, food, conference cost, raffle money, etc. I could upgrade my whole system

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Yea I'm really hoping to that it comes to the west. You also have a point there Ill have to see. Thanks again Brian.
    Ray or Raymond

Raymond's 30 gallon tank
    Raymond's 60 gallon tank

Thanks
    yea haha if it hits up the west i deff wont be attending trying to get another car soon after all the traveling expenses thats alot of extra parts for my car haha
    in anticipation for my Miami trip this is my song of the week!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDp5IP76PeY

Curious Reefer
    Thanks
    Raymond, I know its hard to save money with this addiction, but if you get it into your head that you want to go. I can't help but always wanting something new or I see that awsome looking frag that I gotta have, I have been blessed with a great woman and a pretty good job so if you want to save you can sometimes its just kinda hard!!! Let me know maybe we can try and save together, you know the buddie system!

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks James I do have it in my head to save I am already looking for a job. It sounds like I may have a part time job that will be giving me around $400 a week but that's what it says I will have to research it a little bit. If that job is real and pays that much I may be able to save up enough. My dad also said that he wanted to come with me on the trip and he will be saving with me to. It would be great if you wanted to, to save up but I cant compare until I get the job and that will be after crosscountry season in about 4 months I think. But it is still not for sure that I will have enough money so it all depends when the time comes and how much money I have saved.
    Ray or Raymond

Raymond's 30 gallon tank
    Raymond's 60 gallon tank

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Raymond,

When I went to MACNA in Atlanta I got my tickets ahead of time and they were $100, my hotel was $200 (I shared the room total was $400) and air fare was $250. I probably spent another $100 on food.

If you remember at that time gas was around $4 a gallon so driving my SUV, which I need to take my scooter, would have cost me about $200 and then I would have had to found a couple guys to get it out of my truck. Flying and taking the train to the hotel was easier!
    Carmie

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks Carmie so $700 is probably not going to be enough. It looks like this is going to be a lot more planning than I thought. I guess I'm going to have to see where it is at and then from there see if I can go.
    Ray or Raymond

Raymond's 30 gallon tank
    Raymond's 60 gallon tank

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    I would start a MACNA fund by putting a few dollars a week away in a savings account. By the time it is announced in Sept you will already have a start on it and then can calculate costs from there. Tickets are around $100 until maybe Thanksgiving and then they increase in price every couple of months until they reach their final price of around $150-200 a couple of weeks before the event. When I went to PA I decided to go a month before and the hotel was sold out so I stayed at another hotel 8-10 miles away that was much less expensive. I saved $$ but it was more convenient being at the conference hotel last year.
    Carmie

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Yea that's what I was thinking getting a hotel a few feet or a block away maybe a hotel 6 or something but I will see if I can get the hotel in the lobby if I can save up enough I can buy the tickets and hotel early and then start saving for air fair and maybe rental car.
    Ray or Raymond

Raymond's 30 gallon tank
    Raymond's 60 gallon tank

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    When I went to PA there were other hotels that were closer but still a car ride away and they were still in the $100+ a night range. The Holiday Inn I stayed at was 4 exits up the freeway was $65 a night.
    Carmie

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Thanks
    Best bet is to start early and don't lag Get the early-bird discount for the entrance fee, shop around for the best flights, don't be afraid of looking around at other hotels like Carmie said, and make 25 PB&J's to take with you LOL!

Well you can start your planning now for Orlando in 2010:
    MACNA XXII in 2010 to be hosted by Orlando Reef Caretakers Association, ORCA | Reef Builders -The Reef Aquarium Blog

I did a quick check on Southwest and they fly to Orlando. Also might be able to lock in a low fare in advance elsewhere.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks Brian it looks like it going to be an awesome MACNA in 2010. Dicks going to enjoy it its in the same state he wont have to fly that lucky duckling. lol Now that I know where it is I will save up for the tickets and hotel and then save for air fair. Thanks again Brian and Carmie.
    Ray or Raymond

Raymond's 30 gallon tank
    Raymond's 60 gallon tank

Thanks
    Another MACNA East of the Mississippi, pretty sad for us Left Coasters. I did some digging around, just because I'm silly that way and here is the rundown of the hosts of MACNA's past. Too bad MASNA can't post History of MACNA on the site:

XXII -- Orlando, FL (2010)
    XXI -- Atlantic City, NJ (2009)
    XX -- Atlanta, GA (2008)
    XIX -- Pittsburgh, PA (2007)
    XVIII -- Houston, TX (2006)
    XVII -- Washington DC (2005)
    XVI -- Boston, MA (2004)
    XV -- Louisville, KY (2003)
    XIV -- Ft Worth, TX (2002)
    XIII -- Baltimore, MD (2001)
    XII -- Ft Lauderdale, FL (2000)
    XI -- Louisville, KY (1999)
    X -- Los Angeles, CA (1998)
    IX -- Chicago, IL (1997)
    VIII -- Kansas City, MO (1996)
    VII -- Louisville, KY (1995)
    VI -- Cleveland, OH (1994)
    V -- Toronto, Canada (1993)
    IV -- Miami, FL (1992)
    III -- New Jersey (1991)
    II -- ????? (1990)
    I -- Toronto, Canada (1989)

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Hey Dick - how many of us can sleep in that building?
    Carmie

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CarmieJo View Post
    Hey Dick - how many of us can sleep in that building?
    LOL Great idea
    Ray or Raymond

Raymond's 30 gallon tank
    Raymond's 60 gallon tank

Thanks
    when was 09 ?? 3 hour drive for me haha
    orlando sounds good 20 hour drive there road trip anyone???

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Pat View Post
    when was 09 ?? 3 hour drive for me haha
    orlando sounds good 20 hour drive there road trip anyone???
    It was right after Labor Day.
    Carmie

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Thanks
    aww hahaha well gatta start planin a road trip to orlando then haha

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information