Thread: new ro/di system installation

Thanks

new ro/di system installation

Well, as i mentioned in an earlier thread, im headed off into the wonderful world of making MY OWN WATER. the company I was using was great untill just this year! i was having to notice some more "growth" than usuall and ph and other values such as calcium and phosphate were raised as well.
    thanks to a great idea for BulkReefSupply.com, im looking at installation now. some of my concerns are where to draw water.ie...what incoming line? and where do you guys go with the waste water. I am on a sump and leech field system in my house sooo, i dunno if that is gonna start some issues. who is the master plumber? or if you guys can share how do did it. that would be great. thanks.

Crispy Reef Monkey **MOD** Phurst's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Your waste system shouldn't be an issue. If you have a laundry room with a washing machine, that would be ideal. That's where i have mine set up. i use the cold water feed for the washer and have the waste line stuck down in the drain for the washing machine.

If you don't have a laundry room, anywhere with plumbing will work. Are you getting a faucet adapter or a needle valve for the feed?
    **KEEP ME AWAY FROM SUPER GLUE ... i tend to glue my lips shut !!**

Thanks
    My install was pretty easy. We had an unused laundry hookup in a closet of an outside shed, complete with a cold water spigot (hose bib) and drain. I just had to get a brass fitting that would go from the threaded hose bib to the quick-release ("John Guest") tubing. My waste tube is simply stuck into the drain hole of the laundry hookup. The system itself hangs on the wall with a pair of heavy duty piicture hanging brackets (for easy removal when changing filters). If I needed to use the laundry hookup I would have to get a fitting that was threaded on either end to let the water pass through, but I didn't . That is about as easy as it gets. The closet works out well because it also holds a 44g brute container for RODI, a 20g Brute for mixing salt water, salt buckets, scale, and extra filters.

Under the sink installs may require you to use a fitting on your cold water line to provide feed water to your RODI. You can also use a piercing valve on the cold water supply (pressurized) pipe, but I would rather use a fitting similar to the one described above. For your waste water, some disposals have a waste water port on them that would allow you to connect your waster water line (with another fitting) to the disposal. Otherwise, you would just use a piercing drain clamp like the one's BRS sells.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    I am bad with the whole plumbing thing and am absolutely useless with this part of the hobby.
    Carmie

Only disasters happen fast!

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Show people you value their advice! Click the STAR icon at the bottom of the post to add to their reputation.

Thanks
    For the supply line I have been temporarily using a hose with the included hose fitting in the bulk reef kit. For my permanent installation I am installing a utility sink in a closet and using a hose bib for the inlet water supply line. For the "waste line (you probably don't want to fill your septic/leach field with water) you can just let it run out in the yard or downspout drain or, if you want you can save it to water your yard.

Apprentice
    Thanks
    Laundry room is ideal like others are saying thats what I did since im renting. I just hung it in my laundry room and bout a splitter so I can still do laundry and just turn on the ro/di when I need to make good ol water. After me and wifey buy a house all I have to do is unhook and go and it was like it wasnt even there. Laundry room ftw
    65g DT and 20g Sump,65lbs of rock,Sundial T5 HO 4x39 light, Octopus NW-150 skimmer, K4+K2+K2 w/ 420 gph return.....2 occi clowns, watchman goby, sailfin tang, cleaner shrimp, valentini puffer.......SOON TO BE NEW 75g

Thanks
    I have mine hung on the wall in the garage near the washing machine. I bought a heavy duty "Y" splitter from Wally world and hooked it up there off the cold water spigot for the washing machine. I take my waste line and let it flow into the washing machine and use the water for laundry. May not want to do the wife's delicates in there but great for towels and rags Conservation at its best!

Thanks
    Your options for hooking it up are endless.

How do you intend to use the system? Portable or permanent? Will you be using it for drinking water as well as RO/DI for the tank, does it have a drinking water kit? Will you be filling a storage container for an autotopoff system?

I mounted my Spectrapure system in my garage above the laundry sink and fed it from the washing machine cold water supply via a brass hose thread wye found at HD or Lowes in the garden section. The waste goes into the laundry sink drain. You can also hook the inlet semi permanent with a tee valve where the cold water line comes through the wall or portable with a sink adapter. The choices are numerous.

If you have a water softener on your home make sure you use the softened water, RO membranes love soft water since it does much of the work for them.
    Do you know the hardness and TDS of your tap water? Hopefully you bought a handheld TDS meter to go with the RO/DI system.

I now have multiple RO faucets at the kitchen sink and laundry sink, RO to the refrigerator fro drinking water and ice maker and RO/DI to my 23 gallon Rubbermaid storage container for the autotopoff system. I would be glad to run you through the whole system if you are interested.

The amount of waste the RO produces should not affect the septic system much since its about what a shower produces or less.

Apprentice
    Thanks
    You can tap into your home's plumbing at just about any faucet, or in the cabinet under the faucet, or anywhere you have access to a cold water pipe. Where do you want to install the system?

Russ

Thread Information