Thread: brain damaged cleaner shrimp??

Thanks

brain damaged cleaner shrimp??

Ok heres what's going on with my fire cleaner shrimp. as of yesterday he was acting somewhat lethargic he was crawling around on some of my corals (favias). When I fed the tank he perked up some and scavenged a couple pieces of food (dry flake food). When I fed the tank again last night (mysis and cyclops) I noticed him being lazy again. This morning I got up ( 630) and he was laying on his side, legs still moving, antenna twitching, but definitely not in the best of health. This afternoon when I came home and at the moment (1:47 PM) he is still laying on his side, legs twitching, antenna moving, and attempting to grab food as it floats by but not able to right himself and crawl or swim. I recently added a new frag rack to my tank and have noticed my starry blenny has knocked off a couple frag plugs. Maybe one landed on the shrimp knocking him senseless?? tank parameters: temp-78, nitrate-20ppm, nitrite-0, alkalinity-80ppm, ph-7.8 lights have been on for about 2 hours now.

Our Brotha Down Unda
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    i cant comment of specifics, but i have a fresh water blue lobster that jumped ship of the tank & made it half way into the kitchen. hell of a way in animal terms.
    Ive noticed, this dood is definatley not the same. like mental problems are the least of his problems. Not that this is the same as yours, but that doesn't matter, as long as you can find simularities thats all that matters right..lol both are mental candidates!

Vquilibrium Productions

Thanks
    yeah definitely, this guy still kicks his legs and even tries to catch food that floats by, its just like his left side weighs 100 lbs and keeps him rolled on his side so hes stuck like that. I'm sure he's screaming in his little shrimp brain "help, i've fallen and I cant get up."

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    It could be that he was injured. If he catches anything does he eat it?
    Carmie

Only disasters happen fast!

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Show people you value their advice! Click the STAR icon at the bottom of the post to add to their reputation.

Assistant Moderator Skurvey Dog's Avatar
    Thanks
    It sounds as if he is injured. Have you tried to pick him up and place him on the rockwork where he can use his legs to anchor and right himself up? Your nitrates are a little high, when were you planning to do your next water change? Perhaps that might help also.

Will your voice count?
    One new reefer, another voice united with the many against ignorance and greed. Educate, influence, good stewardship, all in one accord to work together as a whole in saving our reefs.

"Get Reefy With It!"

Thanks
    just did a water change this morning unfortunately the shrimp didn't make it. Yes he was eating when he would catch food, I was feeding him out of a turkey baster just to make sure he was getting something to eat, I think he was injured also, anyway when I went to bed last night I placed him in a low flow area on some rock and he was actually hanging onto the rock, got up this morning and found an emerald crab munching on him, and i thought those guys only ate algae...

Assistant Moderator Skurvey Dog's Avatar
    Thanks
    Sorry to hear about your shrimp. I wouldn't be alarmed by the emerald crab's behavior as they are not preditors. They will however dine on dying or dead animals as they do help keep a tank clean. The same can be said of most reef safe crabs, hermits and bristleworms. They are good guys even when we see something like that which makes us feel otherwise.

Will your voice count?
    One new reefer, another voice united with the many against ignorance and greed. Educate, influence, good stewardship, all in one accord to work together as a whole in saving our reefs.

"Get Reefy With It!"

Thread Information