Thread: Flow question...

Curious Reefer
    Thanks

Flow question...

So- how much is too much? I've heard conflicting opinions on this. I obviously want good flow in my tank. How does one know if you have too much for a clam?
    Thank you~

Thanks
    I'm sure others will chime in on this but I think (For coral) you would want as much flow as you can get without blowing away your inhabitants, stressing them out or blowing sand around. I think it's most important to avoid places of low current so that you don't end up with traps for detritus that can become nitrate producers. Wave makers and tidal current simulators can help in that, (properly set up) they usually create turbulence and shifting flows that help clean out the pockets of still water. If your looking for precise numbers, I don't have the expertise for that. Your tanks are already looking really good and with a little research, I'm sure you'll get a feel for what your specific needs are.

Tom

Curious Reefer
    Thanks
    Thanks Tom. Yes, I agree that good flow is crucial to any reef tank but I keep hearing that clams need lower or slower flow. Yet-I see gorgeous clams in beautiful reef tanks which leads me to believe that they <clams> must be getting fairly decent flow.
    Was just wondering how a person would tell *visually* if the clam was getting too much flow?
    With mine, his mantel does occassionally ripple, or move but not always and it's not ever bent or flipped over...
    Here's a couple pics of Lil Max...

Close-up

Thanks~

Our Brotha Down Unda
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    my suggestion, keep every new thread post as a new post in its own.
    cause clearly i dont pay attention to everything i see. ( if you were in front of me, nothing would slip past me, but because your a figment of my imagination, i have no such desires..lol,)

truth is, it depends on your animals. & besides that , it depends on your animals.

true, max flow mass is paramount the more you expand, however not everything apprieciates a wind blown face.

Vquilibrium Productions

Curious Reefer
    Thanks
    V responded...
    "my suggestion, keep every new thread post as a new post in its own."

I'm sorry... I don't understand? I started this thread with the subject stating I had a question on flow levels for clams. And I haven't strayed from that topic so I'm not understanding what I did incorrectly?

I understand that not everything appreciates a wind blown face and don't believe I'm doing that. Was just looking to see if there were any parameters or guidelines or signs to look for that I perhaps had too much flow for this clam.
    Thanks-

Our Brotha Down Unda
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    no such thing as doing something wrong bud, especially when you think it comes from me ok..lol

clam's, as the topic, are not the only animals in your tank, and if i had not seen your tank pic from an earlier thread, i would have no idea on this.

flow rate on specific clam's, 15 to 30 lt per min. but they are filter feeder with no real set gide lines if you ask me. others may disagree, & they may be right as they have had longer exposure to such characteristics of specific species.

help or hinder oi cant say for sure...lol

Vquilibrium Productions

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    strong irregular flow is your best friend in a reef. I sadly cant put surge tanks on my tank but they do a wonderful job and are easy to construct. Turn over in a reef should be something like 10-20 per hour. However, you dont want the turnover in your fuge that high, if you run a fuge. People usually shoot for 5-10x in a fuge. Poweheads or a closed loop will help achieve good flow in your reef.

Curious Reefer
    Thanks
    Thank you PhotoJohn. But as far as clams are concerned... do they need to be protected from direct flow? A bit sheltered perhaps as in sitting behind a peice of rock to deflect the flow?
    Thanks~

Our Brotha Down Unda
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    yeas i agree typically, however, oceans are uniform.

so bud, in the interest of discovery at the cross roads, what do you think.
    i / we can tell you the answer, but then it wouldn't be a total discovery would it.

you currently have a clam smack bang in the middle of your tank . you tell me, what are you noticing? you think it needs more or less?

trust me, im not meaning to be a prick in any way, although im more than comfortable being one to complete strangers. all im trying to do it push your own observations in assessing your animals. cause at the end of the day, knowledge is fundimental, but not exclusive. most of us know whats needed given basic instinct & general principle, however most are just too lacking in confidence in the arts of marine keeping to make the call. Yes its a science, but ultimatley it all boils down resonable logic.

so, i ask you, what does your clam want in the middle of other animals that seem happy?

Vquilibrium Productions

Curious Reefer
    Thanks
    I stated... in my second post of this thread, that *VISUALLY* my clams mantel sometimes ripples and moves with the flow but does not bend or fold over. I wondered and asked if that indicated too much flow or not. I have not kept clams before but have had marine/reef tanks for a numer of years. so I came here to the *clam* forum to learn! I figured that's what it was for. I figured those here that had kept clams with success for some time might be able to give me an idea of indicators that would tell me if I had too much flow, etc. signs to look for.

I am not lacking in confidence at all but I also know when I don't know something and I'm not afraid to ask for good solid advice. Advice that can help me learn and not convoluted advice that gets me nowhere. I also have a fair amount of logic and good observational skills. But I assume others here have much more clam keeping experience than I do which is why I posed the question.

Further... my clam is not smack dab in the middle of my tank. He's actually residing on the left island of the tank.

If I had all the answers, and knew what my clam wanted, I wouldn't be here partaking in this give and take with you.

Finally... as far as my other tank inhabitants and their needs, the corals are happy as clams < pun intended> and I only have 1 fish so far and it's a 6-line wrasse and he is fine and really couldn't give a wrasses patootie as to the amount of current.

I hope I answered your questions.

Oh...and Oceans are FAR from *uniform*. Each one is a different and they have ever changing conditions, turbulence, temperature flux, etc etc.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Hey Terri,

I don't keep any clams but FWIW one of the LFS here has beautiful gigas in his 12' coral tank. The tank has tons of flow and a surge device and you can see his clam's mantle ripple all the time.
    Carmie

Only disasters happen fast!

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Show people you value their advice! Click the STAR icon at the bottom of the post to add to their reputation.

Curious Reefer
    Thanks
    Hi Carmie~ Yes, thank you. This does help. Appreciate your response. Mine seems to be doing fine so far but it's only been a few days. I moved him up into the rockwork from the sandbed and he's got a bit of a buffer that way as well.
    Thanks again~

Thread Information