Thread: Rock work

Expert Reefer
    Thanks

Rock work

I really liked the look of Brian D's rock work in his tank at the last LMAS meeting. He said it was Tonga rock. Where would be a good place to order this from? Also I see that nylon post 3/8'' or 1/4'' are sold with nuts and washers at Marco rocks. What do you put below the substrate to attach it to? I am setting up a 125gallon tank so I think I need about 125 lbs. of dry rock to be seeded with some additional live rock. Marco rocks said they will gain about 40%-50% of there weight once they are soaked. I checked all of our lmas sponsor links and didn't see any for rock.

I have been looking at these web sights so far...

http://reefcleaners.org/index.php?pa...mart&Itemid=34

live rock, Fiji Live Rock, Pohnpei Live Rock, Alor live rock, Tonga Live Rock

DreamAquatic.com - Live Rock - Fiji Premium Live Rock - Fiji Live Sand - Branch Live Rock - Tonga Rock - Buy Cheap Saltwater Live Rock Now & Save!

Tonga Live Rock 25 lb Box

Crispy Reef Monkey **MOD** Phurst's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Tonga can be harder to come by than say Fiji or maracultured Caribbean, but there are places that sell it. May want to keep your eye on ebay as well.

I believe the nylon bolts are for bolting one rock to another, not attaching to the substrate.
    **KEEP ME AWAY FROM SUPER GLUE ... i tend to glue my lips shut !!**

Expert Reefer
    Thanks
    Thanks Phurst it turns out the guys tank I was referring to can get good deals on it. I knew he imported corals and fish, I didn't know he did rock as well. Thanks for the tip on the nylon bolts.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Yep, that is right the nylon nuts and bolts are for securing one rock to another. Also check out Amphibious' tank build to see the PVC rock stands he made to help prevent dead spots and detritus build up.
    Carmie

Only disasters happen fast!

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Show people you value their advice! Click the STAR icon at the bottom of the post to add to their reputation.

Assistant Moderator Skurvey Dog's Avatar
    Thanks
    Years ago I thought that at one time Marco had a web page off of his site that had a color photo illustrated step by step process of how he made some of his rock formations using acrylic base plates and the rods. Just not sure..... could of been another site when I was doing some project researches. Does anyone remember that?

About the Tonga Branch. It is expensive, but it does add some very interesting shapes in your aquascaping.

Will your voice count?
    One new reefer, another voice united with the many against ignorance and greed. Educate, influence, good stewardship, all in one accord to work together as a whole in saving our reefs.

"Get Reefy With It!"

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    I remember seeing that video too Lori.
    Carmie

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Show people you value their advice! Click the STAR icon at the bottom of the post to add to their reputation.

SPS Reefer / TR Admin lReef lKeeper's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    man, i gotta get a video camera for when i set up my tank !! i see some pretty cool podcasts coming from this thread !!
    lReef lKeeper (Bobby) Admin and Reefer

Water ...
    Custom 4x2x1 60 gallon, 40B sump

Equipment ...
    6x54w HO T5 fixture, 300+g rated Frankenskimmer, ATO, 3 Media Reactors (1 p04, 1 N03, 1 Carbon)

www.lmas.org

Show people you appreciate their advice! Click the star icon under their name to add to their reputation.

Thanks
    Best I can remember from that site and a few other projects I saw, an acrylic sheet was used that was about 0.50" thick and the base size depended on the actual structure overall dimensions. A hole was drilled into the center of the plate and an acrylic rod was inserted. Can't remember if it was somehow bolted or an epoxy was used. Dry rock was used to create the free standing structure because it was easier to drill and work with. You laid all of your large, chosen pieces out into the pattern you wanted to design, drilling holes through the rock and sliding them down the rod to the base. Sort of like tossing doughnuts on a stick. You work from the bottom up, like building a pyramid. The exposed sides of the rock, you could drill more holes and take plug length sections of the rods and peg them together and glue. The thickness of the base plate helps support the structure and by also using dry rock, it is easier to pick up and place in your tank. You could always cut corners and use the locking ties for the additions to the main rod. Would make it easier if you chose to twist something around to another angle.

Will your voice count?
    One new reefer, another voice united with the many against ignorance and greed. Educate, influence, good stewardship, all in one accord to work together as a whole in saving our reefs.

"Get Reefy With It!"

Expert Reefer
    Thanks
    Carmie I think I am planning on using the cut pvc rock stand on top of an acrylic base board like Skurvey Dog recommended with the acrylic rod.I'm still waiting on my overflows doing research and still planning... good podcast subject Bobbie.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Yep, that is the video I saw too. I don't think they showed how the rod was secures to the plate. It is a great idea to incorporate PVC stands into type of structure.
    Carmie

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Thanks
    I too think that the PVC supports would be the ticket as you would not have to lose any of the advantages of the aquascaping. Incorporating the best from both worlds.

Will your voice count?

"Get Reefy With It!"

Thread Information