Thread: RKL controller for $99!

Thanks

RKL controller for $99!

Hey all-

I case you are holding out for a decent (yet cheap) Aquarium multi-controller, I just read on Reefbuilders.com that Digital Aquatics will be offering their new Reefkeeper Lite controller (including 4 controllable outlets, and temp probe) for $99 as a summer special! For just a bit more than a single stage Ranco controller, you can get much more functionality and expandability.

Anyhow, thought this may be of interest to some...

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    That is a good price. Maybe I need one for the nano!
    Carmie

Only disasters happen fast!

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Show people you value their advice! Click the STAR icon at the bottom of the post to add to their reputation.

Thanks
    Would be PERFECT for a nano. I am almost tempted to get one for my QT at work!

To tell you the truth, based on the limited way I use my RK "Elite" controller, I could have saved a BUNDLE if the RKL was out and I knew how little I would utilize the advanced features of my unit...

There is some interesting things happening over at Neptune with their upcoming controller as well...

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    How's everything going Scott?
    Carmie

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Show people you value their advice! Click the STAR icon at the bottom of the post to add to their reputation.

Thanks
    With my tank, my controller, or my life?

Pretty well, thanks for asking Carmie. I saw your recent thread with your tribulations;sorry to hear things are a bit complicated for you right now... My thoughts are with you.

I go through phases where my hobbies rotate to the forefront, and the last 6 months or so I got distracted by an intense study of yet another hobby (woodworking). It's like my obessions flip like a switch - I am very single minded that way. Now reefkeeping is suddenly in the "on" position.

My tank did not suffer so much as just went into "stasis" with routine maintenance continuing as normal. What really was reduced was the gross amount of time I spent online at reefing sites. I am definitely seeing explosive growth in my branching frogspawn and hammer, which finally found a good location in the tank. I continue to see good growth in my Acans, although their placement could be improved. Some others show slower growth, such as my SPS, but perhaps that is expected.

My DSB is maturing. I had to add a few more pounds of sand recently to maintain the 4" bed in one corner.

The one think I need to address now is an ongoing Bryopsis outbreak that I've "managed" for a while now but haven't dealt with head on. This will probably involve raising my Mg levels, incorporating a larger refugium (by making my sump work in reverse), upgrading my skimmer and rethinking the type of food I feed. I ran carbon and phosban aggressively for a while with no effect, and my Nitrate and Phosphate always test out at zero. I just started experimenting with mesh modding my skimmer pump, will be interesting to see if I can pull more gunk out...

Although I am always a geek when it comes to cool equipment (such as skimmers and controllers), my goal is to refocus on husbandry right now - which will contribute the most toward improving the health of my tank.

Heck, who am I kidding - I'll probably replace every piece of my setup but my tank before I'm done... Look for my FS posts in the classified sections...

-Scott

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    I'm glad that all is going good for you! I'll look forward to hearing about the "new" tank!
    Carmie

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Insightful Reefer PessimisticOptimist's Avatar
    Thanks

Review and Opinion sought

Hi - I read this post and figured I would add-on rather than start new thread.

WHat is anyones' thoughts and review on the RK Lite
    Digital Aquatics - The Next Generation in Aquarium Controllers

I am going to purchase this week unless I hear a good reason not to. I like that I can expand as my needs grow. For now, I most need better temp reulation. Cince my new system came on-line last December, I have been simply utilizing the built-in thermostat on the heaters themselves. Not so accurate and, most likely, a lot of wasted energy.

On that not, I am also looking to purchase a reliable and very efficient heater for my system (230 gal DT plus 125 gal sump <~ 75 gal operational H2O>). Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Ideally, I would like to purchase at the same time as the controller.

Kind Regards, Keith

Thanks
    I have had my RKL for two weeks now and love it. I sprang for the L3 and added a moonlight controller module too.
    Right now it controls my MH light times and they are also on an overtempertaure alarm so if tank temp rises past a setpoint I select they shut down, sound an audible alarm and do not come on again until a lowe rtemp setpoint. It also has 3 dual LED moonlight pods on a true lunar cycle so they come on according to the moon phases as far as times and brightness.
    My two Koralias are on a wavemaker function swapping back and forth and my closed loop pump is also on the controller. All the pumps are set up on a standby timer so I can shut them off to spot feed. The temp probe was a snap to calibrate as was the pH probe
    Next I intend to set up my fans and heater andget rid of my chiller since it is no longer needed.

I would recommend the RKL in any of its levels L1, L2 or L3 to anyone! If you wait a week or two you can order it with a SL-2 module that will give you salinity measurements also or you can wait and add any module later. The basic L1 unit comes with a PC-4 four outlet controllable module and a iTemp temperature probe. You can do a ton of stuff with just the basic unit and expand up to 4 modules as your systems grows or needs change.

Not sure if either is a sponsor here but both Bulk Reef Supply and Corals Mania discount the RKL and accessories slightly. I saved $48 off list on the L3 and extras.

Curious Reefer
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    $99 is a great price for what you get... and with the SL2 coming out its my choice. only problem I have is that the Salinity probe is not included with the SL2 . AT around $89 for the mod and another $89 for the probe.

Thanks
    I have an RKE, which is pretty much the same thing, but without the expansion limits.

I think the RKL level 1 represents a phenomenal value for an entry level controller. Basically you are getting a fancy temp controller with expansion capabilities for much less than a Ranco dual-stage temp controller. I do have two gripes:

1) Data logging on the RKL is very lackluster. On the RKL, the head unit only gives you average/min/max values for temp/pH during the last 6 hours, which to me is pretty useless. It would have been far more useful to have a range of 24 hours since that represents most people's temp and pH swings. As far as I know the user cannot adjust the sample frequency to extend the range.

2) I am not a big fan of the quality of construction of the PC4 modules. Every time I pull a plug from my RKE (which is not too often I admit), I really think the thin plastic casing may break. I proceed very slowly and gently, but I always wonder why the PC4 couldn't be more sturdy.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AZDesertRat View Post
    ...If you wait a week or two you can order it with a SL-2 module that will give you salinity measurements also ...
    Why do you suggest this, are you aware of an upcoming special?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rroselavy View Post
    ... I do have two gripes:

1) Data logging on the RKL is very lackluster. ... It would have been far more useful to have a range of 24 hours since that represents most people's temp and pH swings. As far as I know the user cannot adjust the sample frequency to extend the range.
    Indeed

Quote Originally Posted by rroselavy View Post
    2) I am not a big fan of the quality of construction of the PC4 modules. Every time I pull a plug from my RKE ... I really think the thin plastic casing may break.
    Thanks for the warning

Anyone have thoughts on my heater recommendation. I am really worried my heating is inefficient. I know it will never be super efficient, I have a fairly large water volume with two long runs (~8') to/from the sump (containing heater) to DT

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PessimisticOptimist View Post

Why do you suggest this, are you aware of an upcoming special?
    The SL2 gives you Salinity/pH/temp instead of the ORP/pH/temp on the SL1. Salinity is a far more useful parameter than ORP to track for some people, even though the probes are expensive.

Buying an SL2 may be a smarter purchase if you have no need for ORP.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PessimisticOptimist View Post
    Indeed

Thanks for the warning

Anyone have thoughts on my heater recommendation. I am really worried my heating is inefficient. I know it will never be super efficient, I have a fairly large water volume with two long runs (~8') to/from the sump (containing heater) to DT
    Heaters for big systems is a bit beyond me, but here is a recent RC thread of people discussing that topic:

Reef Central Online Community - What are people using to heat their big tanks?

Thanks
    Don't know what size heater you are looking for but I have had good experiences with the Via Aqua Titanium series.

The Won also gets a lot of recommendationsas as does Finnex.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AZDesertRat View Post
    Don't know what size heater you are looking for but I have had good experiences with the Via Aqua Titanium series.

The Won also gets a lot of recommendationsas does Finnex.
    I'm not certain either, I just want to make it, along with use of the RKL, as efficient as possible.

Thanks
    I have been using the Via Aquas for 6 years so far and been very happy. My heating requirements are not that great in Phoenix but I do keep the house pretty cool in the winter to save on power bills. Whoever coined the phrase "Total Electric Energy Efficient" for a home was nuts! I wish I had gas or even a woodburner again. Electric heat sucks for a home.

Thread Information