Thread: need help deciding what light fixture to get

Thanks

need help deciding what light fixture to get

Hey there.I have a 28g bow front tank.demensions are 24l by 12w by18h.I want to keep soft corals.sume mushrooms.zoos.basic stuff.and definately a frogspawn.I was thinking about t5s.or 150w metal halide.right now I have a 130w pc.also I'm worried about the heat because I don't have a chiller.I use fans on top the water and temp is 80 degrees steady if I'm making the investment might as well make a good one.let me know what y'all think.thankx

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Hey Lance,

Your PC's wll grow all of those corals just fine. I did notice more vivid coloration on my zoas when I went from PC's to a Solaris on my 54.
    Carmie

Only disasters happen fast!

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Show people you value their advice! Click the STAR icon at the bottom of the post to add to their reputation.

Thanks
    With 24 posts I am going to guess that you are relatively new to saltwater aquarium keeping. With that thought I would suggest you go for some high end T5 fixture or for a nice MH \ Power Compact combination.
    While you are now content with getting some of the lower light requirement coral, and your current lighting will do that for you now, I can assure you that if you stay in the hobby you will be wanting to get into some of the more light demanding coral.
    JMO FWIW
    Henry

SPS Reefer / TR Admin lReef lKeeper's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    I agree with ^^^. The longer you stay around the hobby ... The more demanding corals are what you will likely try to go with. I would suggest either a high end T5 setup or a halide setup with reeflux bulbs.

Thanks
    Thankx every 1.do you know which t5s or any websites that I can get high quality t5 fixtures from.also I like the soalris g series I miss an opportunity to get 1 it was 500 .I know eventually once I successfully keep corals and I know they a growing fine I will want more exotics.right now I'm in a try out .luckily I have the help of you guys on here too help

SPS Reefer / TR Admin lReef lKeeper's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    try Reef Specialty - Reef Specialty

Mike is a really nice guy and will help you out over the phone before you place an order, if you give him a call.
    lReef lKeeper (Bobby) Admin and Reefer

Water ...
    Custom 4x2x1 60 gallon, 40B sump

Equipment ...
    6x54w HO T5 fixture, 300+g rated Frankenskimmer, ATO, 3 Media Reactors (1 p04, 1 N03, 1 Carbon)

www.lmas.org

Show people you appreciate their advice! Click the star icon under their name to add to their reputation.

Apprentice
    Thanks
    You can go with the t5 HO sundial, ive heard great things about them and alot of people recommend them if your on a budget like me. I just ordered mine last night and just waiting on the arrival. Check out marinedepot.com

Thanks
    I'd stay away from any unit with a PC bulb. PC's are great but they are expensive replacements and in my opinion, a dying part of the hobby as T5's build momentum. There is just more innovation coming out, plus affordable and quality bulbs that allow you more flexibility.

Maybe look into a 150 or 250 W MH combo with T5. Most have options with built in LED's so you can get the moonlight effect as well. Take Bobby's advice and maybe try calling the guy @ Reef Specialty. Tell him what you are looking for and your budget. He should be able to help you decide what is the most bang for your buck.

Thread Information