Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Floodland's 215G build / 120G rebuild.

Thanks

Floodland's 215G build / 120G rebuild.

So I moved.. I bought a new house that came with a 20x20 sunroom which I am working to convert into a fish room/home theater. My wife (as of March 28th 2009) has been busy documenting my work, she seems to like it when I am building/fixing/etc things.

I built a stand, 12' long, 40" tall and 30" deep. I purchased a 215G Reef Ready Oceanic tank to match my 120G (sadly they could not give it to me in cherry so I had to take black). I put in a 65G sump and a 30G refugium below the 215. I am using the same 32G sump that I had before on the 120G.

I have finished plumbing the 215G and have it cycling with the rocks that I have had in moving water the entire time (they came out of the 120G into a spare tank when I moved).

Anyway .. Pictures!

Building the Stand

The tanks arrive.

The 215G cycling

The new refugium .. it was sitting around at a LFS and I picked it up for a few bucks.

My poor poor fishies.. soon they will have their new home!
    Last edited by floodland; 05-03-2009 at 03:55 AM. Reason: Fixing picture comments
    Hardware: Two display tanks: 215G Oceanic RR/120G Oceanic RR, 65G Sump + 30G Refugium, Octo Extreme Skimmer, Snapper pump.
    Coral: Xenia, Zoas, GSP, Frogspawn, Cats Paw, Tyree Birdsnest, 3 Montis..
    Livestock: 2 P. Clowns, 5 Pajama Cardinals, Yellow Wrasse, Leopard Wrasse, Mystery Wrasse, Ranfordi Gobi, Maroon Clown, Yellow Tang, Lawnmower blenny, Diamond Goby, 2 Anemones and 3 shrimp.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Hey Steve,

Nice build. Your fishies will enjoy there new digs. Congrats on the new wife. Why don't you get a pic of the two of you on our "Show us You" thread found here - Show-us-You
    Amphibious

Good Luck comes to those who research and prepare.

Our Talking Reef Forum The Cultured Reef Forum
    My tank journal Amphibious' 135 mixed reef.
    The Cutured Reef toll free number - 888 745-0449

Amblyeleotris randalli commonly, Randall's Goby.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Steve, congratulations on your marriage!
    Carmie

Only disasters happen fast!

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Show people you value their advice! Click the STAR icon at the bottom of the post to add to their reputation.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Congrats on the new tank and your marriage.
    Ray or Raymond
    There is no elevator to success in marine tanks. You have to take the stairs.

Raymond's 30 gallon tank
    Raymond's 60 gallon tank

Show people you appreciate their advice! Click the star icon under their name to add to their reputation.

Thanks
    Thanks for all of the congratulations on my marriage! It was bound to happen, my wife and I have acted like we were married for a while

Anyway nothing really new other then I tossed some chemipure elite into the hob filter on the temp tank to see if I can clear up some of the nuisance algae before I move things over to the new tank.
    Hardware: Two display tanks: 215G Oceanic RR/120G Oceanic RR, 65G Sump + 30G Refugium, Octo Extreme Skimmer, Snapper pump.
    Livestock: 2 P. Clowns, 5 Pajama Cardinals, Yellow Wrasse, Leopard Wrasse, Mystery Wrasse, Ranfordi Gobi, Maroon Clown, Yellow Tang, Lawnmower blenny, Diamond Goby, 2 Anemones and 3 shrimp.

Thanks
    Btw the plan is to build a wall in front of the tanks (actually that entire room will become 2 rooms) with the theater being on the right there. The brown tarp covered object is my 12' screen for my projector. I shoudl end up with 2 nice display tanks, and a good fish room separate once everything is done.

Thanks
    So an update:

The walls are up, the tanks are up and running. I just turned up my new pump (Reeflo Snapper) and it about over ran my 215G tank (mind you it's already feeding the 120!) so I had to turn it down until I can re-check my overflows and make sure they are running optimally.

I had a mini-cycle due to the garf grunge that I put in the tank. I will update the Garf Grunge thread in a minute.

I ordered some new lights, 2 250w MH (Lumen Max Elite + Galaxy Ballast) to add on to my current setup that includes 6 T5's. I am not sure what I am going to do about the lighting for the second tank yet, right now it is using random fixtures I had around.
    Last edited by floodland; 06-12-2009 at 05:14 PM. Reason: i type too fast

Our Brotha Down Unda
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    sweet thread bud. doing it with style

Vquilibrium Productions

Thanks

Pictures!

Here are some pictures of the latest activities

Since this is a combined theater/fishroom setup I try to split my time between the two.

Here I am working on the platform for the theater chairs

A FTS From that same day

Some fish and rocks

My tendency to overbuild shows in the build of the platform all done in 2x8..

Will continue in a few with more pictures

Thanks

Moar pictures (sorry bad meme..)

I took some pictures today of things progressing

Here is the view through the doors that are currently used to enter the sunroom:
    Sorry for the mess.. I have to move things around a lot while I am working due to my wife not wanting all this stuff in the house

The tanks, on the left is the 215G, on the right the 120G, both are plummed into the same 75G sump (seen below the tanks). The refugium is behind the foam.

I am the crazy plumbing guy.. I reuse what I can and it gets a bit confusing.. i clean it up as I go along. I am currently removing the old pump that was powering the 215G, you can see it there in the sump

Now for those of you who have followed my original threads such as "my nitrates are sky high!" and "I can't find my shoes!" know this maroon clown that is ~5 years old (I got it about a year ago from someone who had had it for quite a while).. I think it is finally happy as I got it a anemone and it is hosting it! (I know.. i need a bigger CUC .. I keep adding)

And finally... my wife's new addition, a cup coral along with my new additions, a mystery wrasse and a leopard wrasse (along with the bent yellow wrasse..)

Our Brotha Down Unda
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    you move quickly meatloaf.!

im glad your getting your hands dirty with the DIY.

what do you do for a crust ?

you know ive asked that question twice in the same day now when usually i would care less, whats happening to me>? lol

Vquilibrium Productions

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    It is looking very nice!
    Carmie

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Show people you value their advice! Click the STAR icon at the bottom of the post to add to their reputation.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Its looking great its neat how you have both tanks hooked up to the same sump.
    Ray or Raymond

Raymond's 30 gallon tank
    Raymond's 60 gallon tank

Show people you appreciate their advice! Click the star icon under their name to add to their reputation.

Thanks
    Yes I am very happy with it. We are still not sure what we are going to do with the second tank yet.. my wife wants SH, a RBTA (for her 2 clowns) and some tiny blue tangs.. so that might be what happens.. I have to figure out a theme and stick to it.

I have noticed that my maroon clown is punking the oc pair, not sure if they are trying to get to the anemone or if the maroon just lunges at them anytime they are near.

Quote Originally Posted by rayme07 View Post
    Its looking great its neat how you have both tanks hooked up to the same sump.

Thanks
    It was great finally being able to meet you over at BayMAC and hope the corals you got treat you well.

Sweet setup Steve! It sounds like a great project but one I'm sure you wish was progessing quicker! Good job taking your time and doing it right

Will look forward to more progress and congrats on the marriage and support, you got a great woman to help you realize your new passion

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Steve, I am not a pony keeper but as far as I know they all need lower temps than we keep our reefs at. They also need a dedicated system and are not community tank candidates.
    Carmie

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Thanks
    yes it is probably a bad idea... a lfs sells tank bread black sh that have always lived in the high 70s so i was looking at those.

Quote Originally Posted by CarmieJo View Post
    Steve, I am not a pony keeper but as far as I know they all need lower temps than we keep our reefs at. They also need a dedicated system and are not community tank candidates.

Thanks
    Thanks... the theater slows the fish which is good..

so.... corals!

orange monti from ncrc

left to right
    Montipora Spongodes from bbl_nk, green montipora from Bar, Tyree LE Ponape Birdsnest from bbl_nk

plate from mars

left to right
    green monti i had.. and 2 things i should have taken notes (i think he said the middle is cherry bomb?)

purple brush gorgonian from bbl

Quote Originally Posted by bbl_nk View Post
    It was great finally being able to meet you over at BayMAC and hope the corals you got treat you well.

Sweet setup Steve! It sounds like a great project but one I'm sure you wish was progessing quicker! Good job taking your time and doing it right

Will look forward to more progress and congrats on the marriage and support, you got a great woman to help you realize your new passion
    Last edited by floodland; 06-15-2009 at 03:54 PM.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    The corals look great!
    Carmie

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Thanks
    Thanks Carmie!

I am updating the names as I get them. Thanks 1000000000x to bbl_nk for giving me the names of the frags I got from his group!

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Great looking corals.
    Ray or Raymond

Raymond's 30 gallon tank
    Raymond's 60 gallon tank

Assistant Moderator Skurvey Dog's Avatar
    Thanks
    Wow Flood, you have been very busy! I don't know how I lost track of this thread. A very belated congrats on your nuptuals and can see for myself that the 2 of you are enjoying bliss. What a thrill it's got to be for your better half...... you being a DIY. What an exciting time in your life. Love what you've done so far and can't wait to follow along with all of your plans.

PS- Loved the pic with you and the drill. Hubby says I can do pretty much everything if I hold my mouth just right.

Will your voice count?
    One new reefer, another voice united with the many against ignorance and greed. Educate, influence, good stewardship, all in one accord to work together as a whole in saving our reefs.

"Get Reefy With It!"

Our Brotha Down Unda
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    oh yeah - post scribe the subtle way

Vquilibrium Productions

Thanks
    Just wanted to jump in here and say you are doing a wonderful job with these rooms and of course so that I can tag along!!!
    Henry

Thanks
    Thanks all for the thoughts!

Everything is going well with the fish/theater room, I finally got the greenboard up:

Now you can get an idea of what the fish tanks will look like:

The fish thought I was feeding.. or they were excited to be on camera.. almost every fish I host is in this picture:

The plate is doing well, I think it is a long tentacle but someone can correct me if I am wrong:

And my wife had to get a Dendro .. she was very adamant about it.. VERY.. I accidentally upset it when I was cleaning the glass to get a good picture. You can see the baby though!

That is it for now.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information