Thread: The Reefer's Pledge

Assistant Moderator Skurvey Dog's Avatar
    Thanks

The Reefer's Pledge

To my TR family,

Over the last few months, I have become increasingly disturbed over posts, comments and other facts that have come to light in regards to fellow reefers' tanks, complacent attitudes towards loss of marine life due to poor planning and lack of research. I have felt compelled to make a stand, thus set an example for some of us whom I feel need some guidance and encourage all to become better stewards. I feel that when we want to make a change in attitude, what better place to start than with oneself.

My wish is to challenge each of us to be the best that we can be and become good stewards.

MY REEFER'S PLEDGE

I have come to understand, acknowledge and accept the fact that our oceans contain many resources available to me, a marine hobbyist, for the enjoyment and privilege of owning and maintaining a marine tank. I also acknowledge and understand that all living and non living things contained in our marine waters covering the planet Earth are not inexhaustible, but are limited and are decreasing in numbers due to natural occurrences and from the direct impact from man's dominion over the earth. I also acknowledge that when life is given into my care, it is my responsibility to do all in my power to provide, protect, nurture and give the respect that it deserves. I understand that I possess a voice in which to speak out, when our natural resources have none to speak for themselves.

In light of these truths, I take responsibility for my actions and hold myself accountable, striving to be a good steward of all marine life forms that I hold in my possession. I acknowledge that I am not perfect, but promise to strive to make good, sound decisions when caring for my tank inhabitants and before acquiring any animal/coral life forms by doing research, gathering other sound information, learning animals'/corals' needs, tank environment requirements, size requirements based on mature adult size, species compatibility, feeding requirements whether it be through lighting and/or food sources, maintaining equipment and striving for water parameters that meet the needs of our marine system. I understand to do otherwise would be selfish, irresponsible, inhumane and unjust.

I will strive to the best of my ability to do what is right, research, learn from my mistakes, heed sound advise from knowledgeable sources, question all things and grow in knowledge. I also commit to not purchasing animals above my experience level, nor animals that are known to have poor success rates of survival in marine tanks. I understand that in not doing so, my action along with other responsible aquarists, will stop the harvesting of those animals and keep them in the ocean where they belong until we have a better understanding of them and their needs.

I acknowledge that by holding to the truths of these standards, I can in good conscience move continually forward in a positive direction, make better choices and have a more meaningful reefing experience.

Will your voice count?
    One new reefer, another voice united with the many against ignorance and greed. Educate, influence, good stewardship, all in one accord to work together as a whole in saving our reefs.

"Get Reefy With It!"

Crispy Reef Monkey **MOD** Phurst's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Now a sticky.
    Very, very VERY well said.

Bravo.
    **KEEP ME AWAY FROM SUPER GLUE ... i tend to glue my lips shut !!**

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    I agree very well said. I take the pledge.
    Ray or Raymond
    There is no elevator to success in marine tanks. You have to take the stairs.

Raymond's 30 gallon tank
    Raymond's 60 gallon tank

Show people you appreciate their advice! Click the star icon under their name to add to their reputation.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Lori, this is just terrific! My to you.
    Carmie

Only disasters happen fast!

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Show people you value their advice! Click the STAR icon at the bottom of the post to add to their reputation.

Thanks
    Lori - thank your for posting what some of us were thinking but didn't post.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thank you Lori, for bringing to light something I have practiced for many years. Never have I thought it out so succinctly.

I SO PLEDGE!!!

Dick
    Amphibious

Good Luck comes to those who research and prepare.

Our Talking Reef Forum The Cultured Reef Forum
    My tank journal Amphibious' 135 mixed reef.
    The Cutured Reef toll free number - 888 745-0449

Amblyeleotris randalli commonly, Randall's Goby.

SPS Reefer / TR Admin lReef lKeeper's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    i will pledge that !! very well said Lori ...

MY REEFER'S PLEDGE

I have come to understand, acknowledge and accept the fact that our oceans contain many resources available to me, a marine hobbyist, for the enjoyment and privilege of owning and maintaining a marine tank. I also acknowledge and understand that all living and non living things contained in our marine waters covering the planet Earth are not inexhaustible, but are limited and are decreasing in numbers due to natural occurrences and from the direct impact from man's dominion over the earth. I also acknowledge that when life is given into my care, it is my responsibility to do all in my power to provide, protect, nurture and give the respect that it deserves. I understand that I possess a voice in which to speak out, when our natural resources have none to speak for themselves.

In light of these truths, I take responsibility for my actions and hold myself accountable, striving to be a good steward of all marine life forms that I hold in my possession. I acknowledge that I am not perfect, but promise to strive to make good, sound decisions when caring for my tank inhabitants and before acquiring any animal/coral life forms by doing research, gathering other sound information, learning animals'/corals' needs, tank environment requirements, size requirements based on mature adult size, species compatibility, feeding requirements whether it be through lighting and/or food sources, maintaining equipment and striving for water parameters that meet the needs of our marine system. I understand to do otherwise would be selfish, irresponsible, inhumane and unjust.

I will strive to the best of my ability to do what is right, research, learn from my mistakes, heed sound advise from knowledgeable sources, question all things and grow in knowledge. I also commit to not purchasing animals above my experience level, nor animals that are known to have poor success rates of survival in marine tanks. I understand that in not doing so, my action along with other responsible aquarists, will stop the harvesting of those animals and keep them in the ocean where they belong until we have a better understanding of them and their needs.

I acknowledge that by holding to the truths of these standards, I can in good conscience move continually forward in a positive direction, make better choices and have a more meaningful reefing experience.
    lReef lKeeper (Bobby) Admin and Reefer

Water ...
    Custom 4x2x1 60 gallon, 40B sump

Equipment ...
    6x54w HO T5 fixture, 300+g rated Frankenskimmer, ATO, 3 Media Reactors (1 p04, 1 N03, 1 Carbon)

www.lmas.org

Show people you appreciate their advice! Click the star icon under their name to add to their reputation.

Curious Reefer
    Thanks
    New to this forum, I too, agree to pledge responsibility & education...
    Well said.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Hi Meg, welcome to TR. We’re glad you found us too. Straight shootin reefers on this site without flame throwing as on some other sites. We keep it family friendly.

Where in central FL are you? I’m near Ft. Pierce.

Dick
    Amphibious

Good Luck comes to those who research and prepare.

Our Talking Reef Forum The Cultured Reef Forum
    My tank journal Amphibious' 135 mixed reef.
    The Cutured Reef toll free number - 888 745-0449

Amblyeleotris randalli commonly, Randall's Goby.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Hi Meg to TR.
    Carmie

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Show people you value their advice! Click the STAR icon at the bottom of the post to add to their reputation.

Our Brotha Down Unda
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    my pledge is to drop one less macdonals carton into the ocean this year

Vquilibrium Productions

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Hi Meg Welcome to TR.

Quote Originally Posted by V View Post
    my pledge is to drop one less macdonals carton into the ocean this year
    lol V I would be surprised if you even did that. You are one green person. LOL
    Ray or Raymond

Raymond's 30 gallon tank
    Raymond's 60 gallon tank

Thanks
    Welcome to TR Meg! Glad to have you aboard.

V- I will be sure to invite you to our "Clean Sweep" this year which we do twice a year. Hopefully none of the trash we collect has migrated from Ozzie world. :-) If bottles can travel around the world, who knows? Lol

Will your voice count?
    One new reefer, another voice united with the many against ignorance and greed. Educate, influence, good stewardship, all in one accord to work together as a whole in saving our reefs.

"Get Reefy With It!"

Our Brotha Down Unda
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    yeah well & trully. They call em rubbish lanes or trash vortexes.

better yet, i'll post an article with a first hand account of what happen's. I play, but its quite serious

Trash Vortex Statistics

Beach combers or beach clean up crews have found up to 40,000 pairs of matching shoes during projects to clean up the beach. 90 percent of all the trash in the vortex is plastic and 30 percent of all the plastic is plastic bags and or fishing line. The sunlight and nutrients in the water breaks down the plastic bags into shreds or paper machete sized plastic pieces. This vast amount of plastic can neither float nor sink so it lies about a foot under the water making a plastic soap like mixture with zoo plankton wich are microscopic organisms that eat phyto plankton and feed fish and other marine life.

The Ocean's Plastic Pollution

The Island of Waste Floating in the Northern Pacific.

Jan 11, 2010 Colette McEnery-Lane

Trash Vortex, the Eastern Garbage Patch and the Asian Trash Trail are all used to describe the island of rubbish, floating in the Pacific Ocean.

Trash Vortex

Once out at sea this plastic gets caught up on the ocean currents. These currents push the debris into the low energy centre of the gyre, the result being a huge patch of floating garbage twice the size of the state of Texas. This island floats in the North Pacific sub-tropical gyre that circulates clockwise in a slow spiral. Winds are light so once the plastic has reached this area it will stay for many years. Some of the plastic in this area has been there for over forty years. As a consequence, this waste pile is ever growing.
    This island of rubbish is situated between California and Hawaii. This is the breeding ground of many of the world's rarest marine mammals and sea birds. The plastic invades their habitat and endangers their lives.
    Implications of the Garbage Patch

The plastic has a direct impact on all wildlife that shares its environment with this artificial floating island. It can lead to deformities in marine life. A young turtle can become entangled in a plastic ring and then, unable to free itself, it will spend the rest of its life with this plastic ring wrapped around it. As the turtle grows the plastic will cause restrictions and the shell will mutate.

The Laysan Albatross is also under threat from the plastic. These albatross use Midway Island as their breeding ground. The adults scan the ocean bringing back food for their young. The problem being, that more often than not, they are bringing back plastic which they have mistaken for food and are feeding this to their young instead. Every year tens of thousands of albatross chicks die from starvation with their stomachs packed full of plastic debris: bottle tops, cigarette lighters, toys and toothbrushes.

Vquilibrium Productions

Thanks
    Thank you so much for posting that V! This helps people actually see what a negative impact we have upon our natural resources. What's one or two pieces of trash? Add that with every other living soul on this planet and it's staggering.

It's always good to rag you and others here know you are playing also. :-) Keep it coming because you make like interesting. Lol

Will your voice count?

"Get Reefy With It!"

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Ironically I just had someone send me this link today. http://www.scientificamerican.com/vi...id=49722185001
    Carmie

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Our Brotha Down Unda
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    incredible the scenes of plastic death.

Ok, so if you havn't already, lets track the current expeditions. This is straight from the horses mouth. & the interface is well done.

http://kaisei.blipback.com/

Vquilibrium Productions

Our Brotha Down Unda
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Vquilibrium Productions

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Neat Video V. Its kind of interesting that plastic has some advantages and negatives in being in the ocean. One positive is that is host organism and gives them a temporary home but the disadvantage is it does not make our ocean cleaner and many other larger organisms can choke or get cut up by the plastic. Clearly the negatives override the positives but at least people are getting out there and cleaning the ocean. This is defiantly why recycling is very important.
    Ray or Raymond

Raymond's 30 gallon tank
    Raymond's 60 gallon tank

Our Brotha Down Unda
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    yeah but they are currently researching ways to "actually" pick the stuff from the water. Some is clearly visible, & the bigger stuff would collect together making it easier, but its the bulk of it thats not, just shreds of plastics just under the surface that as they say, is twice the size of texas.
    Its that sh^t we have to find a solution for. Even if it was autonomous drone technologies, (cause clearly it would be cost prohibitive long term any other way) its the small issue of manoeuvrability - a sea of crap, almost invisible plastic crap that would clog conventional props & motors making the unit another piece of floating trash.

Vquilibrium Productions

Curious Reefer
    Thanks
    Thankyou for your welcomes!
    I am new to this site and looking forward to reading here.
    Great job btw, too. Thankyou !
    I am in Central Florida- between the Daytona and St. Augustine area.
    M

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    I am late in replying to this thread but after reading the pledge I had to reply. This is great and I am very happy to have found an online community with such outstanding values.

I too take the pledge and will do all in my power to learn, practice, and educate in manner that protects our marine environment (be it the oceans or a subset of the environment in a marine aquarium).

Thanks to all of you for setting a great example!

23. The Following User Says Thank You to techguy For This Useful Post:

rayme07 (04-06-2010)

Thanks
    I am new to site and i will take that pledge. This site is a great source of information. I am very happy i found it!!

Thanks
    I took this pledge personally before it was written down in this post when I first started in the hobby,but I will do so publicly now...well written,and thank you skurvey dog for putting it into words

I love my tank and all that's in it,I do everything I can to provide the best care possible...I am fully responsible for their well being and I take that very seriously...I even growl at my family for turning the living room lights on after the tank lights go out,for disturbing their sleep time...that doesn't go over too well with my wife though...I growl,she bites

Thread Information