To my TR family,

Over the last few months, I have become increasingly disturbed over posts, comments and other facts that have come to light in regards to fellow reefers' tanks, complacent attitudes towards loss of marine life due to poor planning and lack of research. I have felt compelled to make a stand, thus set an example for some of us whom I feel need some guidance and encourage all to become better stewards. I feel that when we want to make a change in attitude, what better place to start than with oneself.

My wish is to challenge each of us to be the best that we can be and become good stewards.

MY REEFER'S PLEDGE

I have come to understand, acknowledge and accept the fact that our oceans contain many resources available to me, a marine hobbyist, for the enjoyment and privilege of owning and maintaining a marine tank. I also acknowledge and understand that all living and non living things contained in our marine waters covering the planet Earth are not inexhaustible, but are limited and are decreasing in numbers due to natural occurrences and from the direct impact from man's dominion over the earth. I also acknowledge that when life is given into my care, it is my responsibility to do all in my power to provide, protect, nurture and give the respect that it deserves. I understand that I possess a voice in which to speak out, when our natural resources have none to speak for themselves.

In light of these truths, I take responsibility for my actions and hold myself accountable, striving to be a good steward of all marine life forms that I hold in my possession. I acknowledge that I am not perfect, but promise to strive to make good, sound decisions when caring for my tank inhabitants and before acquiring any animal/coral life forms by doing research, gathering other sound information, learning animals'/corals' needs, tank environment requirements, size requirements based on mature adult size, species compatibility, feeding requirements whether it be through lighting and/or food sources, maintaining equipment and striving for water parameters that meet the needs of our marine system. I understand to do otherwise would be selfish, irresponsible, inhumane and unjust.

I will strive to the best of my ability to do what is right, research, learn from my mistakes, heed sound advise from knowledgeable sources, question all things and grow in knowledge. I also commit to not purchasing animals above my experience level, nor animals that are known to have poor success rates of survival in marine tanks. I understand that in not doing so, my action along with other responsible aquarists, will stop the harvesting of those animals and keep them in the ocean where they belong until we have a better understanding of them and their needs.

I acknowledge that by holding to the truths of these standards, I can in good conscience move continually forward in a positive direction, make better choices and have a more meaningful reefing experience.