Thread: Pulsating Xenia

Insightful Reefer
    Thanks

Pulsating Xenia

Well, i have a rock anemone and on the next rock over, is some pulsating xenia. The two got along quite well actually, they would occasionally and sometimes actually completely rest on eachother. Well, i didnt see that either of the two was closing up from it, so i figured they we're fine. Well, i usually hand feed my anemone considering its my favorite thing in my tank. I forgot to hand feed it for about 4 days, and next thing you know, my pulsating xenia is looking dead. This happened about a week ago, and since then all the fingers have fallen off of it. I dont think its going to die, considering i've seen xenia die from another corals sting, and it was deminished to nothing in no more then 2 days.

Now my question is. Now that all the fingers/grabbers have fallen off, will the xenia die since it cant get food? It still has its color, and is looking as if its doing pretty well.

and two. Did my anemone attack my xenia cuz it could have been hungry, or angry that i did not feed it?
    "Momma says life is like a box of live rock, never know what kind of hitchhikers you're gonna get" - Forest Sump

Assistant Moderator Skurvey Dog's Avatar
    Thanks
    Sorry to hear about your troubles Ryan. I would venture to guess that the PX got stung. You might consider going on and moving it away from the nem so it can try to recover. Would love to see some pics of your nano.

Will your voice count?
    One new reefer, another voice united with the many against ignorance and greed. Educate, influence, good stewardship, all in one accord to work together as a whole in saving our reefs.

"Get Reefy With It!"

Insightful Reefer
    Thanks
    Its moved now. Hes on a flat rock, a little farther down in the tank. Ill try to get some pictures soon. Actually, ill find my camera now.
    "Momma says life is like a box of live rock, never know what kind of hitchhikers you're gonna get" - Forest Sump

Insightful Reefer
    Thanks
    heres some pics.

Front view. Still working on filling it in a lil bit.

Heres a side view with Krumper sleeping in the front.

and heres a picture of the PX.

Thanks
    Thanks for the You'll be able to tell in a few days about the PX as it will deteriorate if it's dead. Hopefully it will come back since you have moved it to a safer location. Keep an eye out on the macros or they'll over run your tank.

Will your voice count?
    One new reefer, another voice united with the many against ignorance and greed. Educate, influence, good stewardship, all in one accord to work together as a whole in saving our reefs.

"Get Reefy With It!"

Insightful Reefer
    Thanks
    Oh, i know. I have them in the tank to give my copepods an area to really thrive. And since my DT has crushed coral and not sand, the algae gives my horseshoe crab something to hide under.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Hi Ryan, your tank looks great. I agree with Lori 100%
    Ray or Raymond
    There is no elevator to success in marine tanks. You have to take the stairs.

Raymond's 30 gallon tank
    Raymond's 60 gallon tank

Show people you appreciate their advice! Click the star icon under their name to add to their reputation.

Thanks
    Great looking cocoa worm Ryan! I have its twin and also a pure white one, which brings up a few questions ...how fast do they grow? Will they develop more "heads" and what's the best food for them? Mine (also my feather dusters) seem to thrive on "Reef Chili" and phyto.

Insightful Reefer
    Thanks
    I was actually looking into the same thing. .im almost positive they multiple. Considering most feather dusters and cocoa worms come from huge colonies in the wild. And for them to grow, its most likely the same as hard corals, the tube looks to be made of calcium.

Saltcorner Guest Article: James Fatherree: The Tube Worms. This seems to be a good site on these types of creatures.

you can see were i have my worm. Its right in the flow of all the water, but out of the strong current. He seems to love it.

Thanks
    Actually if I'm not mistaken, I believe I read somewhere that they make their tubes from spittle and it takes a considerable amount of time and stored energy to do this. They also take advantage of soft debris such as sand and small particles to coat the outside base of their tubes. Sort of reminds me of a catapillar making a cocoon.

Will your voice count?

"Get Reefy With It!"

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    it is a nice looking tank. I would suggest getting rid of the horseshoe crab. Whatever LFS said this animal was okay for a 8 gallon cube is out of their minds, possibly with greed! These animals get very large and need very very large sand beds to be happy and healthy. The crabs will not do well in marine aquariums.

Insightful Reefer
    Thanks
    WOOT!
    They're growing back!

Thanks
    Wowsers!!!!!!!!! That is awesome. He's snapping back quickly and I know you are relieved. Good job with moving him as quick as you did.

Will your voice count?

"Get Reefy With It!"

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    I'm glad hes popping back up for you and he looks great to.
    Ray or Raymond
    There is no elevator to success in marine tanks. You have to take the stairs.

Raymond's 30 gallon tank
    Raymond's 60 gallon tank

Show people you appreciate their advice! Click the star icon under their name to add to their reputation.

Thread Information