Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Something growing in my new tank

Apprentice
    Thanks

Something growing in my new tank

There seems to be something growing in my tank. It looks kind of like a spider web first I thought that maybe I had accidentally dropped a peice of string or something then I took it out but I noticed today it seems to be coming from something on the live rock. It looks like long and stringy worms. Is it something that I should be worried about or is just another part of the cycle?

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    It's very possible your seeing a spaghetti worm. Does it resemble the picture below?

This one is out of his burrow. Usually you just see the "spaghetti" tentacles.

A desirable critter, by the way.
    Amphibious

Good Luck comes to those who research and prepare.

Our Talking Reef Forum The Cultured Reef Forum
    My tank journal Amphibious' 135 mixed reef.
    The Cutured Reef toll free number - 888 745-0449

Amblyeleotris randalli commonly, Randall's Goby.

Crispy Reef Monkey **MOD** Phurst's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Or possibly a Vermeted snail

Snails That Worm Their Way Into Tanks by Ronald L. Shimek, Ph.D. - Reefkeeping.com

Individualy harmless, but can multiply rapidly.
    Last edited by Phurst; 02-20-2009 at 10:18 AM.
    **KEEP ME AWAY FROM SUPER GLUE ... i tend to glue my lips shut !!**

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    I dunno but i think i have it too..... its like a little cobweb and its coming from the live/rock near the substrate ...its there in the morning but gone when i get home...it though it was from where my wrasse has been borrowing under the rock at the same spot....thats a hole diffrent story...but ill try to get a pix of it tomorrow morning~ its a reacuring thing for me...
    Everyday I Spend Less Time In Front Of The Tv, And More Time Infront Of My Tanks~

Apprentice
    Thanks

It seems to be coming from the cone like shell

Thanks
    It is a really neat Vermeted Snail. See the little tube in the nook of the rock? That is his home They spin webs of mucous into the water column. You probably see it when you a) put your hands or any other foreign but biological object into the tank or b) when you feed, or c) if you disturb the rock or sand and cause a detritus storm.

They are neat.. the strands will capture small particulate matter and when the snail wants, it reels it in like a fishing line and ingests anything caught in the net. Watch the end of that tube closely and you will actually see the snail when it is retrieving the web. It's little oral cavity sucks the strands in like spaghetti

They are not only harmless, but beneficial to your system. The ONLY thing you have to watch for is if you have many, many of them and you have your hands in the rock work often. The tubes are sharp little buggers and you can puncture your hand on them real easy.

Good for you.. nice hitch hiker.

Dave
    ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
    ·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·.. >((((º>

"Fins to the left...Fins to the Right, I'm going home to play with my reef tonight..."

If you're looking for me, and I'm MIA from the board, email me at JustDavidP (at) gmail (dot) com.

Experience in aquaria, 37 years. Experience in marine, 22+ years. Experience in Reef Keeping, 8 years. Always a newbie!

Thanks
    I should add, that I was referring to the last picture. The pinkish thing in the third photo is an image of a simple feather duster, worm from the family Serpulidae. They too are great to have in your tanks.

"Fins to the left...Fins to the Right, I'm going home to play with my reef tonight..."

If you're looking for me, and I'm MIA from the board, email me at JustDavidP (at) gmail (dot) com.

Experience in aquaria, 37 years. Experience in marine, 22+ years. Experience in Reef Keeping, 8 years. Always a newbie!

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    You got it David.
    Amphibious

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    COOL~ The Things You See/Learn abought beeing a "reef keeper", loving this hobby more and more everyday..... So my lfs told me that htere are more then 1000 diffrent ceatures and mirco-organisims on each peace of rock...is this true?
    Everyday I Spend Less Time In Front Of The Tv, And More Time Infront Of My Tanks~

Apprentice
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JustDavidP View Post
    It is a really neat Vermeted Snail. See the little tube in the nook of the rock? That is his home They spin webs of mucous into the water column. You probably see it when you a) put your hands or any other foreign but biological object into the tank or b) when you feed, or c) if you disturb the rock or sand and cause a detritus storm.

They are neat.. the strands will capture small particulate matter and when the snail wants, it reels it in like a fishing line and ingests anything caught in the net. Watch the end of that tube closely and you will actually see the snail when it is retrieving the web. It's little oral cavity sucks the strands in like spaghetti

They are not only harmless, but beneficial to your system. The ONLY thing you have to watch for is if you have many, many of them and you have your hands in the rock work often. The tubes are sharp little buggers and you can puncture your hand on them real easy.

Good for you.. nice hitch hiker.

Dave
    Thanks

Yeap that's exactly what it is. I looked closely at it and just as you said it pulls those webs in. Cool. Yea the feather duster is nice. There is also a sponge like creature that comes out occasionally but I can't seem to get a picture of it by the time I get the camera on poof it's gone. I am loving this.

Thanks for all the help.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by IRocky IFraser
    So my lfs told me that htere are more then 1000 diffrent ceatures and mirco-organisims on each peace of rock...is this true?
    Anything is possible BUT, anything told to you by your LFS should be viewed with a great deal of skepticism. Did he count and catalog them? Is it something another "expert" on reef keeping told him? Did he just want to impress you? Or, most likely, he had a brain fart and wanted to pass it on. I don't know maybe there is only 500 or 2000 different creatures on each piece of LR. And what size of LR was he talking about? A 1 lb piece would certainly hold less than say a 50 lb piece.

Do you see the folly of his wisdom? If I were you, I wouldn't put much stock in anything he tells you. Come to TR, we're not "experts" trying to impress anyone. We are hobbyists trying to help everyone avoid LFS banter.

Dick
    Amphibious

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mmm ok then........Im more likely to trust the pro's, and thats you guys and this site...however my research continuies, Im beganing to understand more and more everyday.

Apprentice
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Amphibious View Post
    Anything is possible BUT, anything told to you by your LFS should be viewed with a great deal of skepticism. Did he count and catalog them? Is it something another "expert" on reef keeping told him? Did he just want to impress you? Or, most likely, he had a brain fart and wanted to pass it on. I don't know maybe there is only 500 or 2000 different creatures on each piece of LR. And what size of LR was he talking about? A 1 lb piece would certainly hold less than say a 50 lb piece.

Do you see the folly of his wisdom? If I were you, I wouldn't put much stock in anything he tells you. Come to TR, we're not "experts" trying to impress anyone. We are hobbyists trying to help everyone avoid LFS banter.

Dick
    One of the guys in the LFS is a hobbyist he even maintains tanks for other folks in his spare time and he's been at the LFS for 13 years only problem is its a large FS and he's always swamped with helping customers so I don't ever get more than a minute or two to talk to him. When I have questions that take more than a minute or two I hang around until all the impulse buyers are finished and catch him when he is not so busy. The one idiot told me all I needed was a pump and some salt and I would be good to go told me to set up the tank and wait 24 hours and then add the fish. Thank god I found this site otherwise I would of wasted a lot of money and killed some innocent creatures along the way.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    That is a good example of a LFS that probably in the 13 years been running telling the wrong info and making a lot of people go out of the hobbie as soon as they are introduced. I think its time we need to teach these LFS something about their business. Thanks god I have a good LFS or else I would be up the creek.
    Ray or Raymond
    There is no elevator to success in marine tanks. You have to take the stairs.

Raymond's 30 gallon tank
    Raymond's 60 gallon tank

Show people you appreciate their advice! Click the star icon under their name to add to their reputation.

Apprentice
    Thanks
    Ok I made another find last night this critter came with the live rock. He looks like a long piece of green thread and at one end it's split like it has two heads. It actually looks like a long shoot of grass. It only comes out when the light is out so I am not sure I can get a picture of it. And that damn aps thing I tried to remove them but when I reach down to pull them out they disappear. Uggggggg

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Hard to say what your mystery critter might be.

As far as the aptasia, you're not going t be able to just pull them out. You'll need something like Joe's Juice, or Red Sea Aptasia X to squirt on them to kill them.

Thanks
    I'm going to take a guess Ribbon worm??

Dave

Thanks
    Here's a piccy of a ribbon worm....

Thanks

That is nasty looking!

Apprentice
    Thanks

Yes that's it. I thought it was the cutest thing. Is it a good or bad critter.

Thanks
    From what I understand, small ribbon worms are not an issue (Like many worms in our systems), but large ones can be a problem.

Dave

Apprentice
    Thanks
    From what I understand, small ribbon worms are not an issue (Like many worms in our systems), but large ones can be a problem.

Dave

Well this one is skinny but long it looked to be about 8-10 inches long once someone named it I went and read up on it says in deep waters they can get up to 100 ft.

Thanks
    The longer you have your tan the more things that will creep out of the rock that you didnt buy. I have many different creature that I do not know what they are since my tank has been set up for over a year. One is a coolie hat looking thing with an orange sheet over him that flows like a dress. Ill try and take a picture he is hard to find. Check you tank out at night, just sit there for a couple of minutes and you will see many cool things. I even have snails, stars and some corals that grew over time off and out of my rock.

Apprentice
    Thanks
    Ok I found something else new could someone tell me what it is and if it's a good or bad critter.

Thanks

You can't see it that good in the picture but it's dark purple and seems to have tentacles. I had couple of small aps. but they seem to have disappeared. They were visible now I can't seem them now.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    They appear to be christmas tree worms. They have a symbiotic relationship with the porites SPS coral they're growing in.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information