Thread: Can not find BTA

Curious Reefer
    Thanks

Can not find BTA

I got a BTA about 2-3 weeks ago. in the middle of this I went away on vacation (maybe not the best thing). When I got back which was about a week ago, I can not find him.... I am not sure what to do I hear that it is not a good thing to have in the tank if they die. I also feel bad moving the rocks because of all my crabs, snails... I am always scared I am going to trap something when I put the rocks. Any Ideas?

The only good thing I can see about removing the rocks is I can clean some hair algae off of them. I am on the new side to the marine tank and of course started off with some bad info. I started with a water ionizer and I believe it was leaving phosphates in the water. Although when I test for them it show it at zero... But I have read that the algae is can be using them up and that is why it shows zero. I have then gotten a 6 stage ro/di unit and am using that... I guess it will take some time.

On another note I would like to say THANKS!!!! to Rob with the podcasts and videos and forums.... I do not always have time when I am home to be on the internet to read and post, but I have listened to maybe 50 or so of the TRL and regular POD cast. I think I may have to much info in my head for being as new has I am...... I know how much time regular life takes up to put food on the plate and I love that people like Rob and others take the time to do some of the things that they do so that info gets spread!

Crispy Reef Monkey **MOD** Phurst's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Hmm, tough spot...

If it is hiding in the rock, you could tear it's foot. I suspect it's history. While it's not unusual for them to hide, especially until they find a happy spot, they typically do not do well unless they are added to a well established, mature system with strong light and pristine water conditions. Do you have any detectable ammonia in the system, or a large spike in nitrates? Either could indicate that it's dead.
    **KEEP ME AWAY FROM SUPER GLUE ... i tend to glue my lips shut !!**

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    what lighting do you have?

What size tank?

How long has it been up and running (the tank)?

Do you have clowns?

Curious Reefer
    Thanks
    From my test kits it show 0 Ammonia 0 Nitrates.

The tank is a 75 gallon tank. It has been running for about 2 months. I got most of my water and maybe half of my rock from a tank that was running for a couple years. I have about 80 or so pounds of live rock. The other half of my rock I got from a local pet store. The owner of the pet store says it was fully cured but I have a feeling it was not(maybe a newbie mistake). I have a refug with a 6 in deep sand bed. I had a a problem and I had to redo the whole sand bed because the tank it was in broke... and I had to buy a new tank. In the refug I have Caulerpa growing. I have a black and white True Percula that did not go to the BTA. Do you know what a BTA looks like if it dies? I would image it would get pretty small.

The lighting I have is T5, 8 bulbs. half 10k and half 420. But that was another problem because half of the bulbs were not working. I have fixed that tho.

Thanks !

Thanks
    you have enough light for sure, but your tank is nowhere near mature enough to house an anemone

It doesn't matter if you get water from an established tank.. if anything you would want some fresh water because the water from another tank will most likely not have the substantial trace elements that you would want. With half of your rock being uncured (if it was a normal pet store, I would say it is uncured) your tank wasn't ready for an anemone yet..

when BTA's die they melt into a goo
    70 Gallon Reef System
    29 Gallon Reef System

"It's not about what you know, it's what you notice."

Curious Reefer
    Thanks
    I do water changes once a week sometimes twice. I change about 5 gal when I do. For awhile I was using the natures ocean salt water and not mixing my own. I have started to mix my own salt water recently. Do you think that will help with the trace elements(the water changes not the mixing my own salt)?

If I do not see the BTA soon do you think I should remove my rock or just leave it?

Maybe just try to suck the hair algae up when I do water changes?

Thanks Again!

Thanks
    doing frequent water changes is the best way to replinish your tanks trace elements.. the reason you will get low on them is from corals and animals pulling these things out of the water column.. for example, corals will pull out magnesium and calcium, to name a few..

i do a water change once a month, but thats all I need to do, my numbers stay pretty steady.. each tank is different, so test the water and see what you need

if you don't see the anemone soon, I would just leave it.. something in your tank will eat it eventually.. then again, if you feel like redoing your rock work anyways.. now you have a reason
    70 Gallon Reef System
    29 Gallon Reef System

"It's not about what you know, it's what you notice."

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Hi Bob and to TR.

Did your BTA reappear? I prefer doing smaller weekly water changes to larger monthly ones. This just keeps all ions in your tank stable instead of a high low situation. I think that this also helps to alleviate osmotic shock.
    Carmie

Only disasters happen fast!

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Show people you value their advice! Click the STAR icon at the bottom of the post to add to their reputation.

Curious Reefer
    Thanks
    No, never found him... I recently moved the rocks around too

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by govertica19 View Post
    No, never found him... I recently moved the rocks around too
    Bummer
    Carmie

Only disasters happen fast!

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Show people you value their advice! Click the STAR icon at the bottom of the post to add to their reputation.

Thread Information