Thread: Expert Advice - 65g LONG Reef Build

Curious Reefer
    Thanks

Expert Advice - 65g LONG Reef Build

So after a couple of weeks looking around that site, and visiting tanks for sale, I've decided the only way I'm going to be satisfied is to start from scratch, and pick my own equipment instead of marring into someone elses. Plus I'm a diy kind of guy, AND I'll get to learn along the way.

I'm on a budget, somewhere around $1000, give or take, to get things off the ground. I originally was eying a 125g, but its going to cost much more in upfront expenses, I really can't afford going that large. So I was thinking about going short and long. Here is what i've come up with:

65g Long RR - 48" x 18" x 17" Tall - $248
    Nova Extreme SLR 4x55 T5 HO - $212
    Vertex IN-80 Skimmer (well-liked Octopus Clone) $130
    CaribSea Aragonite - $25 x 5 = $125
    Premium Live Rock $3.25 per lb $292
    20g DIY Sump/Fuge $60
    DIY Stand
    Misc items such as powerheads, heaters, etc.

Are there any concerns going with the tank I've chosen? I searched around, and only came up with 1 reef tank that is a 65 long: reefBoyDc's blog - The Reef Tank

On a side note, where could I learn about the method he is using to plumb the output nozzles? Without knowing anything about it, it seems like a smart way to go.

Thanks to everyone for their input!

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Hello
    I see nothing wrong with going with a 65 gallon long. I'm going to be setting up a 60 gallon long soon. I think starting from scratch is an awesome idea that way you know whats going into the tank and you take more pride into the tank because you put hard work into it. Also very nice way of budgeting searching early and putting down prices is the best way to start a tank that way you know what you are going to spend before you spend it. I would also start a list of the inverts, corals, and fishes now to and post them on here and see if they are all compatible. The only real problem Iv heard about long tanks is water circulation but nothing a few more power heads or wave makers wont solve. I think you are on an awesome start. Remember keep on researching. Good luck and happy reefing.
    Ray or Raymond
    There is no elevator to success in marine tanks. You have to take the stairs.

Raymond's 30 gallon tank
    Raymond's 60 gallon tank

Show people you appreciate their advice! Click the star icon under their name to add to their reputation.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    You might want to check out The Cultured Reef aragonite for your sand. Dick (Amphibious) has fantastic customer service, great prices and supports our site by being a sponsor and by freely sharing his experience!
    Carmie

Only disasters happen fast!

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Show people you value their advice! Click the STAR icon at the bottom of the post to add to their reputation.

Expert Reefer
    Thanks
    The only thing I have to add if you are anything like me and like to constantly go to the LFS and pick up new items etc...is that if you plan on spending $1000 setting up, be prepared to be spending at least double that in the end. The good news is, eventually your tank is fully stocked and all you need is day-to-day supplies which is cheap compared to the setup costs. However, by then you are usually planning your next, even larger tank.

Thanks
    I know EXACTLY how you feel haha "sure, 70 gallons will last me until im 30" HA what a joke that is... 80% of the fun is in the build..

Your tank ideas look great, and the return plumbing is a great idea, just remember that the pressure coming back into the tank will just get weaker as it goes farther from the source.. I would recommend ball valves at each return to raise the pressure and try and keep higher pressure for the returns that are at the end of the piping

good luck
    70 Gallon Reef System
    29 Gallon Reef System

"It's not about what you know, it's what you notice."

Thanks
    One thing you might want to think about(depending on what kind of coral you want) if you want to keep some of the stony corals, you would wantat least a T5 light with individual reflectors.48 inch 4x54W Sunlight Supply Tek Light High Output Fluorescent Lighting Fixture This light would be great for any corals light needs. You can probably find more fixtures and better prices, but you will probably want the individual reflectors for each bulb.

But it all depends on what you want to keep.

good luck

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    pls dont try to keep tangs, the tank is to small

The build sounds great though. I diy'd most of my tank from retro kits, to cutting glass hole, overflows...ect.

http://www.talkingreef.com/forums/me...oney-sink.html

Thread Information