Thread: DSB Care

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Christi,

You are close. Most everyone that knows me, knows I'm a DSB fan. You also know I clean my DSB by using a 1/2" diameter tube like this...

This method is for cleaning small areas. I do small areas every water change. It accomplishes a couple of things. By pushing the tube deep into the sand I'm raising some of the anaerobic sand up to the top and allowing some of the aerobic sand to fill the hole essentially exchanging sand layers in small areas. I feel it helps my DSB remain fresh.

To some DSB opponents, this is akin to polluting your water and destroying the DSB. So now, for the first time ever, I'm going to reveal just how crazy I am about cleaning my DSB. The tank is two years old this month. The DSB is in need of a more thorough cleaning. Here is how I go about it...

I use a pipette with a large bulb on it, fill it with water and blow the devel out of the sand, cleaning about an inch deep in all areas I can reach with the pipette.

It is evedent the DSB is "dirty" even though it's functioning properly. Occasionally I'll find an area that is clumping together. In that case I either get my fingers into the clumped area and lossen it or use the 1/2" tube in the picture above to losen the clump. I'll do this deep cleaning anytime I'm in the tank to my elbows or about once a month.

While I'm "cleaning", the main pump is off. I don't want this great stuff going to the sump. I have two Koralia #3 pumps for circulation and keep them running. This distributes the cloud around the tank and the corals, clams, feather dusters, gorgonia and all other filter feeders get a treat. I also add a mix of Reed's Phyto Feast and Roti Feast and add that at the same time. In about an hour the tank looks like this.

Then I feed the fish, make a cocktail and relax. So, now you all know just how crazy I am.

Dick

I think you get the idea.
    Amphibious

Good Luck comes to those who research and prepare.

Our Talking Reef Forum The Cultured Reef Forum
    My tank journal Amphibious' 135 mixed reef.
    The Cutured Reef toll free number - 888 745-0449

Amblyeleotris randalli commonly, Randall's Goby.

Curious Reefer
    Thanks
    No you are not crazy, I do the same thing, but I use a larger tube maybe 2 to 3 inches.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Hey Roy, you went deep into the barrel to dredge this old thread up. It’s a good reminder for everyone with a DSB to clean the sand. Thanks.

Dick
    Amphibious

Curious Reefer
    Thanks
    I miss my DSB. I have went bare bottom with starboard in my most recent tank. I wish I had a sandbed, and if I ever get the courage to tear my tank apart for any reason, sand is being added back to the system. I believe it was this very thread I read a few years ago. It got my stirring my sand and the lps and filter feeders would go crazy over it.

Thanks
    OK. I USED TO have a deep sandbed, but over the years it has been drastically reduced. I have been overhauling a lot in my tank these weeks, upgrading, new pumps, new and larger fuge, lights, etc (and hopefully a new skimmer!). I am wondering if I should slowly be adding more sand to the top for a deep sandbed again, or slowly begin taking some out. I know that where I am now with about three inches is the worst scenario.
    wow, time to update!!

125 gl reef
    37 gl sump/fuge
    3x250 20k radiums
    dual uverflows
    Most people have skeletons in their closet, mine are in my sump!

Apprentice
    Thanks
    I have a watchman gobie and what looks like a small lobster(although I am told it is a shimp) that take care of cleaning my sand bed for me I have woken up in the morning to look in my tank and see that where there was 5 or 6 inches of sand there is now only 1 or 2 inches then a couple of days later it will all be different again. At one point I was going to get rid of them as they will bury any coral that is sitting on the sand bed like my brain and candycane but I was told that this behvoire is banificial so I built little platforms out of old skeleton rock to pervent my corals from beening buried.

Apprentice
    Thanks
    her you can see how much sand they move in a night
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Dr. Brian Plankis of Reef Stewardship Foundation http://www2.reefstewardshipfoundation.org/ was at my club this weekend. In his talk he said that the reef thrives on change and he routinely drags his fingers through his DSB.
    Carmie

Only disasters happen fast!

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Show people you value their advice! Click the STAR icon at the bottom of the post to add to their reputation.

Our Brotha Down Unda
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CarmieJo View Post
    In his talk he said that the reef thrives on change and he routinely drags his fingers through his DSB.
    Expand please. - what were the highlights?

Vquilibrium Productions

Apprentice
    Thanks
    Hello Dick,
    In the very first picture above I can not tell exactly what you are doing. It looks like there is new sand in the 1/2" tube that you are adding as you push the tube in and out or is it sand that was picked up from the lower layers when you punch down through the bed with the tube?

Thanks,
    Buddy

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    It’s sand from the lower layers brought up by pushing the tube to the bottom of the sand bed, holding my thumb over the end of the tube and raising the lower layer to the top, would be correct.

However, (attention everyone), I’m changing my way of thinking about a DSB.

Every setup is different. On a setup where there isn’t going to be a sump/refugium, either by space restrictions or design, I recommend a DSB in the DT. When you can design a system with a sump/refugium in a remote location (in the stand or another room), I recommend the DSB be incorporated in the sump/refugium for cleaning purposes. My next system, possibly soon, is going to be a 140 (60 x 18 x 30) with a large sump/refugium, DSB in it, and 1” SSB in the DT. That design makes for a longer lasting “clean” system in the DT and easier access to the DSB for cleaning.

Dick
    Amphibious

Apprentice
    Thanks
    Thank you Dick,
    I went with a DSB in my 28 gallon JBJ. Thank you for clarifying. I will keep your new way of thinking in mind when I can make room in the basement for a larger system.

Buddy

Thread Information