Thread: Getting back into the hobby

Thanks

Smile Getting back into the hobby-CYCLE COMPLETE!

Hi Guys & Gals,
    It's been awhile. My wife & I started back with the hobby. Our 30 gal tank was fully operational, but the rocks was covered with short green hair algae. Looked like bermuda grass. Our 40gal was in worse shape. It had lots of die off & had alot of hair algae.

So yesterday I scrubbed the rocks with a stiff brush to get rid of the HA.
    Suctioned the sandbed & cleaned the walls of the tank. I arranged the rocks & added salt & water. Cleaned the skimmers, fuge, powerheads, heaters & phoshate reactors. Checked the salinity & my next move is to test the tank.

The 30 gal was an easier task to do, since I did not have to do a major tear down. It was more of a minor clean up. It's up & running & CLEAN!!!!
    The 40gal I still need to add about 10gals of water. The heater is running and the pumps. Once I fill it up with water I will run the skimmers & fuge.
    Do my testing & add salt on the 40gal.

So my question on the 40gal, do I need to cycle it all over again? Or can I put my inverts in there after a couple of weeks?

It's great to be back & I'm excited on how the tanks will turn out.

-John
    Last edited by DJGonzo69; 03-12-2009 at 01:09 AM.
    "Just a Whole Bowl Of Wrong"

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Hi John, it's good to see you back! Whether or not the tank recycles is a toss up. Personally I'd get it running and toss a raw shrimp in and watch the parameters to see what happens.
    Carmie

Only disasters happen fast!

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Show people you value their advice! Click the STAR icon at the bottom of the post to add to their reputation.

Thanks
    haha well if you toss in the raw shrimp I can guarentee you a cycle.. if not, then I would say you MIGHT have a cycle... so I guess the safest thing to do is cause the cycle... atleast then you won't be surprised by a "tank of death" one sunday morning
    70 Gallon Reef System
    29 Gallon Reef System

"It's not about what you know, it's what you notice."

Thanks
    Great! I will start a cycle.
    This brings back memories when the core group had a discussion about how to start a cycle...from Vodka (as Rob mentioned he would rather drink it...LOL)...to the shrimp & the funniest of all drink the vodka & unrinate in the tank. :-) Now that was funny!!!
    Good Times!
    -John

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Welcome back john glad to see you getting back into the hobbie. I agree with Carmie and Carty on getting the cycle going with a raw shrimp. I think I remember reading that thread that was a good discussion and a funny one good memory's even though I don't think I was in on that one (more of a newbie at that moment) but remember reading it.
    Ray or Raymond
    There is no elevator to success in marine tanks. You have to take the stairs.

Raymond's 30 gallon tank
    Raymond's 60 gallon tank

Show people you appreciate their advice! Click the star icon under their name to add to their reputation.

Thanks
    Very funny! Since I don't think I could manage the urinating in the tank I would have to use the shrimp.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Actually a raw shrimp in a cycled tank will not create a cycle just like a fish dying won't create a cycle. It should give you a bump in ammonia which the nitrifing bacteria will process. What you won't see is a high level of ammonia or nitrite.
    Carmie

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Show people you value their advice! Click the STAR icon at the bottom of the post to add to their reputation.

Thanks
    really?? I figured the huge jump in ammonia would create a surplus of food for bacteria meaning growth which would then produce more nitrates etc etc
    70 Gallon Reef System
    29 Gallon Reef System

Assistant Moderator Skurvey Dog's Avatar
    Thanks
    Hey John and welcome back. Hope everything runs smoothly and that you won't have to deal with any more HA.

Will your voice count?
    One new reefer, another voice united with the many against ignorance and greed. Educate, influence, good stewardship, all in one accord to work together as a whole in saving our reefs.

"Get Reefy With It!"

Thanks
    Thanks SD. Yeah I'm monitoring the tank & hoping all goes well.

Thanks
    So today I did some testing on the tank.
    Nitrate= 100ppm
    Nitrite= 0ppm
    Amonia= .25ppm
    Phosphate= 3ppm
    PH= 8
    Alk= 2.9
    KH= 8
    Salinity= 1.025
    Tested using Salifert test kits & a refractometer.
    What do I need to do to get the nitrate down? Just let it take it's course or do I need to do some water change? I'm going to run some Phosphate media. I'm running my skimmer. Any suggestions?

Thx,
    John

Thanks
    Hello DJ! I'm trying to follow along with your thread, so excuse me if I get any info wrong. Why are you showing a reading of amonia? Did you introduce any creatures before the nitrogen cycle finished?

Will your voice count?
    One new reefer, another voice united with the many against ignorance and greed. Educate, influence, good stewardship, all in one accord to work together as a whole in saving our reefs.

"Get Reefy With It!"

Thanks
    SD- No I did not add anything in that tank. The is 40gal plexi & it had LR with lots of HA & no fish or corals. The water went down to 1/2 the tank from just water evap.
    It had lots of gunk on the sand bed, so I siphoned it out to the point where the water level was down to about 1/2 to 1 inch. Then I took the rocks & scrubbed the HA out.
    Introduced the rocks & added salt water & ran my skimmer, pumps, HOB fuge I made.
    So the amonia, Nitrate & phosphate is probably from the die off that I could not siphoned.

Thanks
    It looks like you have only been running about a week. I would continue testing daily and charting the numbers and when all is balancing then I would do a water change.
    It appears you are cycling and the tank needs a chance to build up the biological system. I would not rush as treat this as a complete new tank set up and give it the time cycle completely.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DJGonzo69 View Post
    SD- No I did not add anything in that tank. The is 40gal plexi & it had LR with lots of HA & no fish or corals. The water went down to 1/2 the tank from just water evap.
    It had lots of gunk on the sand bed, so I siphoned it out to the point where the water level was down to about 1/2 to 1 inch. Then I took the rocks & scrubbed the HA out.
    Introduced the rocks & added salt water & ran my skimmer, pumps, HOB fuge I made.
    So the amonia, Nitrate & phosphate is probably from the die off that I could not siphoned.
    I bet that's exactly what it is. Time will take care of that. I can't wait for the tank to stabalize as I know you are excited. It's like starting all over again, but w/o having to buy everything! Would love to see some pics when you find the time. Gosh, I love seeing tanks just taking off and watching them mature. Anddddddddd..... you are so lucky to have a wife to share your hobby with. You are truly blessed.

Will your voice count?

"Get Reefy With It!"

Thanks
    I have a question for the lighting experts out here. Currently on our 40gal tank we have a 305watt MH/CFL lighting. Im thinking of going to a T5 setup. What do you guys recommend as far as wattage. Planning to stock the tank with only LPS, & softies.

Thx-John

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DJGonzo69 View Post
    I have a question for the lighting experts out here. Currently on our 40gal tank we have a 305watt MH/CFL lighting. Im thinking of going to a T5 setup. What do you guys recommend as far as wattage. Planning to stock the tank with only LPS, & softies.

Thx-John
    with a concentration on ricordea (if we can find them around here still). we're not planning on a clam this time around either. just lps like torch/frogspawn, fox/jasmine, bubble & open brains, etc.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Hey, they are both here! Good to see you Valeen! Are you growing any macro? I think that would help suck up some of the nutrients.
    Carmie

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Thanks
    if you are going T5's go with as many as you can fit as long as each on has its own reflecter
    70 Gallon Reef System
    29 Gallon Reef System

Thanks
    Well our tank has finally done a full cycle.
    Ammonia= 0ppm
    Nitrate= 5ppm
    Nitrite= 0ppm
    Phosphate= 0ppm
    PH= 8
    Alk= 2.9
    KH=8
    Salinity= 1.025

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    nice looking tank.
    Ray or Raymond
    There is no elevator to success in marine tanks. You have to take the stairs.

Raymond's 30 gallon tank
    Raymond's 60 gallon tank

Show people you appreciate their advice! Click the star icon under their name to add to their reputation.

Thread Information