Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Question about my clownfish

Expert Reefer
    Thanks

Question about my clownfish

Well I just got my first fish today. A Ocellaris clownfish. I acclimated him today and then put him in my tank. hes been swimming in the same spot for 5.5 hours. hes not exploring the tank. just staying in the same 5 x5inch (estimated) spot and staying right above the sand mostly. Is this bad?

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    sounds normal. Was he in a 5x5in tank? fish often times will only swim in the area the size of their old tank for some time, if he isnt eating worry otherwise it is probably fine

Expert Reefer
    Thanks
    the peppermint shrimp and cleaner shrimp both died with only being in the tank for 7 hours.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    how did you acclimate the shrimp and fish?
    what are your levels? nitrate nitrite ammonia ph?
    How long has your system been running?

Expert Reefer
    Thanks
    ill recheck the levels tomorrow. but the tanks been running since april of 07 with just a deep sand bed, live rock, fighting conch, snails, hermits, and emerald crab.

I acclimated about an hour with a drip line.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    well that sounds good...

I wonder why the shrimps died.

Expert Reefer
    Thanks
    the clownfish has moved to the back left now..been there around an hour and a half I think..and not swimming around..just hovering in one spot right above the sand. lights are out except for the moon lights.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    i wouldnt worry for the night, if he doesnt move when the lights come on and is fed then he is probably having issues. Mine dont move much at night

Expert Reefer
    Thanks
    sucks that my shrimp died. I feel like ive lost something trully special you know. now im worried about losing my fish. plus that cleaner shrimp alone cost $17

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    I dropped a cleaner shrimp in a tank once and he freaked out and died right away! I was shocked, and felt like I wasted $20

Expert Reefer
    Thanks
    i did try a peppermint shrimp before months ago.and he lasted 9 days ..today though cleaner and peppermint ...gone in less than 8 hours. damn shame.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Most shrimp get stresses and shocked over the littlest of things. When I get shrimp I acclimate them for as long as I can then grab a net and let him crawl in a net of the acclimated water then from water to water without bringing it out in the air. I bring the net down to a rock or the sand and they are never shocked or anything worked real well. I never just drop them in its a real shocker to them thats how I lost all my shrimp till I did it this way. Also make sure the lights are out.
    Ray or Raymond
    There is no elevator to success in marine tanks. You have to take the stairs.

Raymond's 30 gallon tank
    Raymond's 60 gallon tank

Show people you appreciate their advice! Click the star icon under their name to add to their reputation.

Thanks
    I float the bag with the shrimp in it to make sure the temp matches then I begin adding DT water to the bag. I do this until full them pour almost all of it out into a bucket and start again. Once it is full again I pour most out and then pour the rest of the water along with the shrimp into the tank.
    I haven't lost a shrimp early on yet. My peppermint shrimp I have had for several years and one died about two months ago. I have a cleaner shrimp that I have had since summer 07 and he is huge.

I would try buying my shrimp at a different store and maybe try acclimating different to see if you get a better outcome. Have you checked your salinity? Inverts need the salinity to be on the higher end and need a stable PH.

Good luck with the clown.

Expert Reefer
    Thanks
    I just woke up and my clownfish was dead as well. im very sad about that. For one he was bonding to me when I first got him and 2nd its my first fish. blah. I will be rechecking my tank soon

Thanks
    If all is good with your tank parameters and you have other living creatures that are surviving within your system then I would have to look at the source of purchase.
    As I have posted before, we have one LFS that pulls straight out of shipment bags and throws the creatures in DT for sale. All of the DT's are run with copper and they never QT to watch for signs of distress or disease.

Try finding another LFS to check out and watch the stock for a few days before you buy.

Do you QT?

Sorry for your loss.
    Last edited by saltaddict; 01-07-2009 at 10:47 AM. Reason: add to

Expert Reefer
    Thanks
    I didnt or havent QT. I acclimated, but im getting ready to do my test on the tank.

Expert Reefer
    Thanks
    the animals were shipped from reefs2go.com which is in florida. shipped overnight. it said it would be here in SC by 10:30 but it was brought about 1:30 or 2 and the guy said they had a late plane but they should be fine.

Expert Reefer
    Thanks
    I was just doing an Alkalinity test and it says. Each drop is equal to 0.5 Meq/L. The number of drops to get to yellow divided by 2 is the total alkalinity. It took 7 drops to get to yellow. 7/2 = 3.5 does that mean the alk is 3.5 Meq/L or 1.75 Meq/L ??? thanks

Thanks
    I have had trouble with mail order critters as well. I ordered some scarlet cleaner shrimp, hermits, some snails, and some fish and most died within a month. I think they get so stressed out being shipped around that they just die of exhaustion. I would try buying from a LFS next time and see if you have better luck.

Also, i am a big advocate of running activated carbon, in particular if things start dying. It will help remove any toxins that may have gotten into your tank by accident. It will also help clean the water up a bit just in case.
    Samuel

"If they but knew it, almost all men in their degree, some time or other, cherish very nearly the same feelings towards the ocean with me.... There is magic in it. Let the most absent-minded men be plunged in his deepest reveries--stand that man on his legs, set his feet a-going, and he will infallibly lead you to water, if water there be in all that region."

Herman Melville, Moby Dick, Ch. 1.

http://religiousspiritualism.wordpress.com

Expert Reefer
    Thanks
    my digital coralife thermometer probe shows around 94 degrees in the tank and another coralife probe I pulled out shows 85.9. Both very high I know. But somethings wrong with the probe I believe.

salinity - 1.026
    Ph is between 7.7 and 7.8 I believe. (i know its low)
    calcium - 550 ppm
    nitrite - 0 ppm
    nitrate- 0 mg/l
    phosphate- 0 mg/l
    Ammonia- between 0 and 0.25 mg/L

how can i fix this?

Expert Reefer
    Thanks
    Im running chemipure elite and purigen in the back. I have a 29 gallon oceanic biocube.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    my ph sadly runs around there and I have happily kept many shrimps

if your temp is really mid-high 80s that could be your problem. I use an old school thermometer, they dont usually have problems lol

The only things I have purchased through the mail are blue leg crabs and snails...half those were DOA. I havent used a mail service since

Expert Reefer
    Thanks
    I am not dealing with any more coralife. I am ordering a waterproof digital AND a old school glass thermometer.

is my calcium too high? how about salinity..would 1.25 be better?

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    your calcium is high, 450 is usually desirable. but I doubt that is a big problem as long as your other levels dont crash.

sorry to hear about the clown. I really love my B&W percula, I would hate to have her die

Expert Reefer
    Thanks
    I was just doing an Alkalinity test and it says. Each drop is equal to 0.5 Meq/L. The number of drops to get to yellow divided by 2 is the total alkalinity. It took 7 drops to get to yellow. 7/2 = 3.5 does that mean the alk is 3.5 Meq/L or 1.75 Meq/L ??? thanks

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information