Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: 230 Project Nearing Completion

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    You can pick up a dual Ranco controller on eBay for not too much. I have this controller and it turns my heater on when the temp goes below 79 and a small fan in the sump on when it gets above 80. I got mine from a guy called kooltanks. If he doesn't have any listed send him a PM or whatever they are called on eBay and he will probably be able to help you with one.
    Carmie

Only disasters happen fast!

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Show people you value their advice! Click the STAR icon at the bottom of the post to add to their reputation.

Insightful Reefer PessimisticOptimist's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CarmieJo View Post
    You can pick up a dual Ranco controller on eBay for not too much. I have this controller and it turns my heater on when the temp goes below 79 and a small fan in the sump on when it gets above 80. I got mine from a guy called kooltanks. If he doesn't have any listed send him a PM or whatever they are called on eBay and he will probably be able to help you with one.
    Wonderful referral. Thanks.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CarmieJo View Post
    Looks like this is more geared to control the heater/chiller.

I am looking for a control device for the small fans mounted in my stand wall to exhaust air from underneath stand. Currently only one fan is operational. I was hoping to replace the ones I have with two new fans, preferably with temperature regulation (thermostat). Unfortunately, I can find plenty of these small fans, but not sure about the thermostatic control. Ugh!

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    if you have a ronco controller you would plug the fans into the chiller spot. the fans kick on when needed and cool the system.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PhotoJohn View Post
    if you have a ronco controller you would plug the fans into the chiller spot. the fans kick on when needed and cool the system.
    Oh! But what type of thermometer is incorporated. I need an air temp thermometer as it is the air temp wiothin the stand I am trying to control (keep cool)

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mine runs a fan but the fan comes on when the water temperature reaches a certain point not the air temp. I am certain you can have the thermocouple measure air temp because mine came out of the sump one time and the heater came on and ran the tank temp up. Lesson learned, I have the cable secured in my sump now. If you were using it to measure air temp I would just get a single stage since you wouldn't control the heater based on air temp.
    Carmie

Only disasters happen fast!

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Show people you value their advice! Click the STAR icon at the bottom of the post to add to their reputation.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PessimisticOptimist View Post
    Oh! But what type of thermometer is incorporated. I need an air temp thermometer as it is the air temp wiothin the stand I am trying to control (keep cool)
    If you can find a low voltage relay ( A relay with a 24VDC coil voltage and around 700 ohms coil resistance. The contacts should be rated to at least 15 or 20A at 110VAC minimum. Assuming you are using a 110v fan) for the fans, you might be able to use a cheap, home thermostat with a solid-state or mercury switch.

Tom

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Iron E View Post
    If you can find a low voltage relay ( A relay with a 24VDC coil voltage and around 700 ohms coil resistance. The contacts should be rated to at least 15 or 20A at 110VAC minimum. Assuming you are using a 110v fan) for the fans, you might be able to use a cheap, home thermostat with a solid-state or mercury switch.

Tom
    Although my DIY project may look nice, I am an intellectual infant when it comes to all this electrical talk. I am confused by everything you said. LOL <Seriously>

Here is what I need. At the peninsula end of the stand I have two openings for air flow. I have a small computer fan mounted in each. One of these fans is not working. I wish to replace both fans and set them on some type of thermostat so they automatically cool inside the cabinet as needed. The one I currently use I disabled from an old canopy I bought at a yard sale. Hence, I am guessing a canopy style set-up will work just fine.

I guess I am stuck at not knowing which fans to get and if they come pre-wired with a bulb thermostat, etc?

I am open to any/all suggestions.

Regards, Keith

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread Information