Thread: aggresive clown..to always be alone?

Thanks

aggresive clown..to always be alone?

Hello all .. ok so in my 30 gl I have only one orange Amphiprion ocellaris.. and and dwarf lion ( which is new and not doing so well) my questions is can my aggresive 1 yr old tank raised clown ever have a friend? she/he will even bite me anytime I put my hand in the tank. Destined to be a loner?
    thanks
    Jena

SPS Reefer / TR Admin lReef lKeeper's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    it sounds like it, but you could try moving ALL of the rock work around. this will take away the established territory and make it easier to add a friend for the current fish. this is not guaranteed to work, but it works sometimes.
    lReef lKeeper (Bobby) Admin and Reefer

Water ...
    Custom 4x2x1 60 gallon, 40B sump

Equipment ...
    6x54w HO T5 fixture, 300+g rated Frankenskimmer, ATO, 3 Media Reactors (1 p04, 1 N03, 1 Carbon)

www.lmas.org

Show people you appreciate their advice! Click the star icon under their name to add to their reputation.

Thanks
    i figured as much.. silly clown. I got him for an anemone that he never even went close to and has posted up in my green colony polyps... he rubs all over them so they are hardly ever open any more

Thanks
    you can try and use a coral feeder to feed your fish for the next few weeks. When he learns that the coral feeder equals food he will follow it anywhere. Try and release the food on to the oral disk of the anemone so that he has to go into the tentacles to retrive it. He will be more likely to take to the anemone.

I believe I have heard this idea in a TR podcast a while back. I guess it doesn't halp with the aggressiveness, but you might at least be able to watch your clown interact with your anemone.

Thanks
    If it were me and I really wanted to add another fish I would get a small tank, just something to house the fish for a while. I would use water from the DT so water in both tanks is the same and put little mean butt in there. While he is removed, move the rocks around and start acclimating the new fish. I would release both fish together.

What is wrong with the Lionfish?

Thanks
    well RE the lion fish.. I got him (dwarf lionfish) a weekago tomorrow and I have not seen him eat. he stays in one spot most of the time and looks white in color until disturbed and will regain his color but I have gotten him ghost shrimp and feeder fish and have watched the shrimp walk next to and even on top of him and he dosnt move. He was special order so he came to the store then straight to my house. might have to just spend a little more and get some peperment shrimp and see if they disapear?

SPS Reefer / TR Admin lReef lKeeper's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    do you soak your food in anything ?? a 5-10 minute soak in garlic extract really helps to entice fish to eat. garlic is a proven appetite stimulant in humans and many think that it does the same thing to our fish.
    lReef lKeeper (Bobby) Admin and Reefer

Water ...
    Custom 4x2x1 60 gallon, 40B sump

Equipment ...
    6x54w HO T5 fixture, 300+g rated Frankenskimmer, ATO, 3 Media Reactors (1 p04, 1 N03, 1 Carbon)

www.lmas.org

Show people you appreciate their advice! Click the star icon under their name to add to their reputation.

Thanks
    I agree with Bobby on using the garlic, it has worked for me. I would try soaking a ghost shrimp in it and then hold it with tweezers directly in front of the lionfish and see if he will take it. How long has it been without food?

How is the mean little clown?

Thanks
    today will be day 8.. the store gave me some free rosies but he still wont eat.. they swim right in front of his nose and he dont budge. they have another one that is eating and Im thinkig I might have to just take him back and trade him.. sounds bad but what else can I do

Thanks
    Are you sure he isn't eating during lights out? It has been 8 days with you and then another 2 or 3 for shipping time I wouldn't think he would not still be alive. I have no idea what rosies are but I would still try the garlic on something and hold in front of him to see if he takes the bite.
    Have you watched him after lights out to see how he is acting and if he perks up under the camo of darkness?

I would take him back too if I couldn't entice him by the store opening tomorrow.

Thanks
    I took him back today but he is just to stay until he is eating and it seems my pH and alkalinity was a little low per there strip test... ph was about 7.4 to 7.6 and alkalinity was between 80 and 120.. so I got some pro buffer and an taking a sample to where my test kit is and see if I come up with the same. they are keeping him till my tank is leveled out which is nice.. so keeping fingers crossed

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    The test strips are considered to be inaccurate. Here is an article reviewing one brand. Liquid Medium Marine Aquarist's Magazine If your test kits show a different number I would go with them!
    Carmie

Only disasters happen fast!

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Show people you value their advice! Click the STAR icon at the bottom of the post to add to their reputation.

Thanks
    well I added the buffer and tested it with my kit and my pH per my test is between 7.8 and 8.4 and everything else was perfect... but could that have been due to the buffer? I think i will add it for a couple of days.. and I visited my fishie and they said he ate 2 shrimp. but i am going to wait to see it for my self.. he has returned to his vibrent color

Thanks
    oh and thanks so much for all your help guys!!!!

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Do you mean 7.8 with the lights out and 8.4 with the lights on? Or does your test kit not have any finer divisions?
    Carmie

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Show people you value their advice! Click the STAR icon at the bottom of the post to add to their reputation.

Thanks
    with lights on and this kit only has a 7.8 block and a 8.4 color block . . my water is pinker then the 7.8 but not as pink as the 8.4 one .. so i seem to be close

Thanks
    hi all .. wanted to update. i got an anemone and luckly it moved right into the spot my clown fish stays. My silly clown loves his anemone! He even feeds it sometimes.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Just don't get your hands too close or, if yours is like mine, you will be bitten!
    Carmie

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Thanks
    oh he was biting me way before the anemone... lol. he would treat the plops (and still does a little) like an anemone. i get bit all the time.. that little stinker!

Thread Information