Thread: anemone inside clam shell?

Curious Reefer
    Thanks

anemone inside clam shell?

I introduced a bubbletip anemone into my fairly new 120 reef yesterday. I placed it on top of a very large empty clam shell that I got with my live rock. This morning, the anemone had moved into the clam shell. It has stayed there all day, moviing in inch or so back and forth, but not exiting. It certainly isn't certainly isn't getting enough light in there, and It would be very hard to target feed it. Will it come out on its own in search if food and light or should I do something to coax it out? Thanks for any advice anyone might have.

Assistant Moderator Skurvey Dog's Avatar
    Thanks
    Hey Mark! I wouldn't concern myself over that. Actually it looks like he has found a home. Some do not like a lot of water flow, but want to be able to get enough light. I had one in my nano and I built a little nest of LR for him and he stayed right there. Which was exactly what I was hoping for because it was at the front of my tank where he could be viewed.

Forgot to mention..... if feeding or viewing will be a problem for you.... move the entire shell with him in it, but make sure that it is not in a direct line of water flow and he still gets light exposure.

Will your voice count?
    One new reefer, another voice united with the many against ignorance and greed. Educate, influence, good stewardship, all in one accord to work together as a whole in saving our reefs.

"Get Reefy With It!"

Thanks
    BTAs have a tendency to find a hole or some other crevice to put their foot into. They will usually open up during the day so that their oral disks are in full view but their foot is hidden. Your situation sounds like healthy BTA behavior to me. I'd only worry if he doesn't start opening up after a few days.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    There should be nothing to worry about. Anemones, even light loving Anemones, will seek out the best place for survival in any given aquarium. I'd be more concerned that you have the right light to keep it alive. What lighting system are you employing?
    Amphibious

Good Luck comes to those who research and prepare.

Our Talking Reef Forum The Cultured Reef Forum
    My tank journal Amphibious' 135 mixed reef.
    The Cutured Reef toll free number - 888 745-0449

Amblyeleotris randalli commonly, Randall's Goby.

Curious Reefer
    Thanks
    Thanks to all for the thoughts and advice. The clamshell is still intact (both halves -- the anemone slipped in through the inch or so wide gap) and sits on the bottom of the tank (I've tried to attach a picture). As a result, I can only see him if I shine a flashlight into the crevice between the clamshell halves). Is there some way to coax him out?

As for lighting , I have an Outer Orbit metal halide ( 2x150 watt 10K) and dual actinic.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Hey Mark,

I think making anemones move to where they don't want to be is about like trying to herd cats! Last week or maybe the one before that my bigger than a dinner plate RBTA took a turn about the tank and ended back up where he started. His foot is way back in the rockwork and he retreats there at lights out or when I get too rambunctious cleaning the tank.

I'd give him a few days to settle in and see what happens.
    Carmie

Only disasters happen fast!

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Show people you value their advice! Click the STAR icon at the bottom of the post to add to their reputation.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by markfb
    Is there some way to coax him out?
    It is often noted that Anemones have no brains and only a rudimentary system of organs for survival. Yet, trying to get one to stay where YOU want it is a lesson in futility. Leave it alone, IT knows what conditions it needs and will find a spot to settle. Just enjoy it. Most anemones are light loving creatures but, I bought a beautiful purple and blue anemone two years ago. It crawled under the LR the first night and it seldom shows itself. when it does "come out" it's only a few tentacles I see, still beautiful however.
    Amphibious

Good Luck comes to those who research and prepare.

Our Talking Reef Forum The Cultured Reef Forum
    My tank journal Amphibious' 135 mixed reef.
    The Cutured Reef toll free number - 888 745-0449

Amblyeleotris randalli commonly, Randall's Goby.

Thread Information