Thread: moving 850 miles next month

Thanks

Exclamation moving 850 miles next month

ok, the move is here, im moving to vermont, slightly less then 850 miles, ive got to move all my fish and coral. i have tried to sell off everything i can, but i still have about 2 dozen corals, my clown pair and my green goby. plus 60 pounds of live rock, only about 20 of it i will keep live. what i have to do is move 850 miles, about 15 hours, with little or hopefuly no die off. im not realy sure on how to do it. im thinking 5 gallon buckets with heaters and bubbelers in them. all info is helpful, thanks guys!
    we are all on the long road to our dream tanks, im going slow and enjoying the journey!

Thanks
    Oh man! Moving a tank that far has got to be stressful!

I'd think about getting a giant rubbermaid tub with a top so you can put a bunch of stuff in there without having to worry about the water splashing everywhere. I mean, the way I think about it is that the corals we all have in our tank has flown thousand of miles to our LFS. I doubt those corals are handled with care in transit and many of them still manage to survive. Anyways, that's what I always think about when I plan for a future move. Just thinking about it stresses me out though!!!

Insightful Reefer
    Thanks
    how about large igloo coolers they would give you some insulation.

SPS Reefer / TR Admin lReef lKeeper's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    also, take as much of your water as you can. when i moved my 125 ... i took ALL of the water with me. this will lessen the stress to the animals when reintroducing them to the tank. if it is at all possible ... put everything in a rubbermaid tub with a top (as suggested) and get a power inverter and plug a couple of powerheads and heaters into it for the trip.
    lReef lKeeper (Bobby) Admin and Reefer

Water ...
    Custom 4x2x1 60 gallon, 40B sump

Equipment ...
    6x54w HO T5 fixture, 300+g rated Frankenskimmer, ATO, 3 Media Reactors (1 p04, 1 N03, 1 Carbon)

www.lmas.org

Show people you appreciate their advice! Click the star icon under their name to add to their reputation.

Assistant Moderator Skurvey Dog's Avatar
    Thanks
    Wow Boyes, sounds like some careful planning indeed. What will you be driving, hopeful not a compact! J/K Are you wanting to transport inside the vehichle or in the trunk? Inside would greatly reduce the stress of temps due to winter. I would try to find some heavy duty, clear plastic bags to use as inserts for the containers that will be used. Are you going to try to save a large volume of water from the system? I would if I could and had room for it. I believe I would divide the fish by species. Does your LFS have oxygen top offs for bagging fish? That might be an idea. Be sure to also scoop you up some LS out of your tank and bag it too to seed the future sand bed. Good grief, I feel for you man..... all that AND have to pack a house and move it! Painful!

Will your voice count?
    One new reefer, another voice united with the many against ignorance and greed. Educate, influence, good stewardship, all in one accord to work together as a whole in saving our reefs.

"Get Reefy With It!"

Thanks
    I would try and drag everything you have to keep atleast part of the coral alive

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Coolers work great! Bag everything by species and consider putting a piece of Poly-Bio-Marine in each bag.
    Carmie

Only disasters happen fast!

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Show people you value their advice! Click the STAR icon at the bottom of the post to add to their reputation.

Thanks
    Carmie - where do you buy it at? I looked at the website but I could only find where to order a system.

Thanks,
    rhonda

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    I get it at the LFS but you can buy it online too. Here is a link from The Cultured Reef to Dr's Foster and Smith Pond Water Quality: Poly Filters Pond Filter Media
    Carmie

Only disasters happen fast!

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Show people you value their advice! Click the STAR icon at the bottom of the post to add to their reputation.

Thanks
    You need lots and lots of buckets. When i moved i just put all my fish , coral, and rocks in salt buckets.
    PJ

Check out our Build Thread Click Here!

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    coolers seem like the best bet to me

Thanks
    i have a 100 watt power inverter, i was thinking heaters and power heads on that. im driving a 94 saturn, so yup skurvey, it is a compact. i have room for a few buckets, but i will probibly need to make new water when i get there. but other than that i have to pack the whole house, and move with a five month old baby, a five foot iguana, and my 100 gallon system. all that and i have to deal with christmas. yay stress.
    we are all on the long road to our dream tanks, im going slow and enjoying the journey!

Thanks
    100watt inverter won't be enough for a heater and a powerhead.
    PJ

Thanks
    the heater is 25 watt, and the powerhead pulls about 45 on a bad day. i hope it will work.

Assistant Moderator Skurvey Dog's Avatar
    Thanks
    Just a note of caution..... make sure to buy the inverter that uses fuses.

Will your voice count?
    One new reefer, another voice united with the many against ignorance and greed. Educate, influence, good stewardship, all in one accord to work together as a whole in saving our reefs.

"Get Reefy With It!"

Thanks
    I have a 1500watt inverter laying around from my trucking days if your interested.
    PJ

Thanks
    saltcritters, that would work, but i have no money, and no way to come pick it up. thank you for the offer though. skurvey, it is fused. i picked up some thick foam coolers, and i got to find some bags to put the fish and corals into. ill pick up a few more coolers to put some LR in to try to keep it alive. i think im going to keep the car at about 80 to 85. ill be cooking, but the wife will be happy.

Thread Information