Thread: Clams & Nitrate Filtration Question?

Thanks

Question Clams & Nitrate Filtration Question?

Hello everyone, I was watching a video online of a display of someone tank and it mentioned that he loved stocking clams because the filter out Nitrates. Are clams able to due this or was the person mistaken because if so I would love to stock some when my new lighting system comes in. Thanks for the input everyone.

Our Brotha Down Unda
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    i have know idea, but clams are on my target list once im settled again.
    so info if u please
    Last edited by V; 10-27-2008 at 01:55 AM.

Vquilibrium Productions

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by veriann
    i have know idea, but clams are on my target list once im settled again.
    so info if u please
    Veriann, Beautiful clam and Fox Faced Rabbitfish. If anyone knows anything about this please feel free to chime in and bless us with knowledge.

Thanks
    Yes, clams are natural nitrate filters. Actually, if you ever visited a clam farm, and saw the stock tanks filled with babies, you'd be amazed to hear that the "farmer" pumps nitrates into the tank. It's important to do so for their growth, health, and development.

I had a slight nitrate issue in my 75G because I overloved my fish I added 4 clams and my nitrates soon went to zero.

Keep in mind though, that clams need an established tank, good lighting etc. You really should be ready for one and NOT try to put one in a newish tank to help with your nitrates. Using clams to reduce nitrates should not be your GOAL, but you sure could enjoy the byproduct of owning them.

D
    ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
    ·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·.. >((((º>

"Fins to the left...Fins to the Right, I'm going home to play with my reef tonight..."

If you're looking for me, and I'm MIA from the board, email me at JustDavidP (at) gmail (dot) com.

Experience in aquaria, 37 years. Experience in marine, 22+ years. Experience in Reef Keeping, 8 years. Always a newbie!

Thanks
    JustDavidP, thank you for the information. I think you may have rembered that I just installed a Wet/Dry Trickle Filter about 2 weeks ago and was warned about the bio-balls creating large amounts of Nitrates. I love how beautiful clams look so and I would love to get some however, removing nitrates was not my main reason for adding them to the tank but if they can naturally remove it and then all the better for my Aquarium is what I figure. Are their any exotic clams that you would recommend as well as Hardy ones for that matter since this will be my first time owning clams. Anything that I should worry about? Thanks for the help.

Our Brotha Down Unda
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    kalk watchman, thats what u need for these clams!the building blocks for expansion yes? they are beautiful things, but dave couldn't be closer to the truth from what i have heard, a well established , &well lit tank,
    is the common concenses MH only!

im am amazed that farmers add nitrates in controlled doses for growth. thanks dave, learning something everyday

Vquilibrium Productions

Thanks
    Well...depends on the system. You tend to like agressive tankmates. I'd not put a clam in with ANY of them But, if you have a system with peaceful fish, I'd try a squamosa first. Maxima and crocea are harder to keep. Derasa are easy but get too big for my liking. I'd not even try Gigas for the same reasons.

Dave

"Fins to the left...Fins to the Right, I'm going home to play with my reef tonight..."

If you're looking for me, and I'm MIA from the board, email me at JustDavidP (at) gmail (dot) com.

Experience in aquaria, 37 years. Experience in marine, 22+ years. Experience in Reef Keeping, 8 years. Always a newbie!

Our Brotha Down Unda
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    this is a peaceful haven!simple but effective in my eyes! swap out the the bulk of the fish for chromis, maybe add slightly more distinctive LR , transplant amphibs plumbing and im about done! everytime i see that clam, im transfixed
    Last edited by V; 10-27-2008 at 01:55 AM.

Vquilibrium Productions

Thanks
    Thank you for the information everyone. I love my aggressive fish however, they are not as bad as you think. I have kept anemones and other corals in a previous tank with them they always took an exploratory bite and then left my corals alone. I think I stand a fighting chance with conversion to a reef. I'm not adding any more aggressive fish.

Thanks
    adult clams are indeed useful in controlling nitrates by using ammonia along with photosynthesis in its natuaral metabolism. nitrates are fed at clam farms due to the need of clam juveniles and larvaes to feed on phytoplankton. i don't think any clam is difficult to keep, its just making sure you have good lighting for larger clams and enough nutrients for juveniles. i've even kept a juvenile squamosa and a juvenile derasa in a refugium under pc until they were ready for the main tank

Thanks
    Check out the information at WetWebMedia. They have a big FAQ on Tridacnid Clams.

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/tridacnidfaq.htm

But yes, mature tank and lots of light. (MH or LOTS of T-5's with good reflectors)

Re: that picture: I've never seen a clam open that wide before. Is that normal Dave, or are they starving it of light?

Our Brotha Down Unda
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    im not sure, if u are refering to the clam i posted, it did get transfered from a smaller tank into that tank, but the lighting is handled by 4 -400W MH's housed in Lumenarc III reflectors if im not mistaken. u think this is not enough?

Vquilibrium Productions

Thanks
    Would anyone have links to any photographs of the claims they suggested. Do you think that 3.5 watts per gallon is enough light?

Thanks
    watts per gallon is not a good judge of lighting..
    as mentioned most "real colorful" clams need at least lots of T5 (with good reflectors) or MH's.

if you look under the photography forum you will see many clam images
    Show people you appreciate there advice, click the icon under there name and give them Reputation points

Thanks
    No, that seems to be plenty of light. It just looks more open than I've ever seen before. Clams can try to spread out to get more light if they aren't getting enough. But with 4-400 watt MH's that shouldn't be the case.

Thanks
    Some clams, like derasa and squamosa, open wider than others. Maxima tend to stay somewhat closed and extend just a mantle over the edge of their shells. Larger crocea do this too, yet they show more mantle. Hippopus actually open their shells quite wide but do not have a mantle that extends far beyond the shell.

Keep in mind, that as ANY clam gets older, and larger, the shells become heavier and heavier. At some stages in their life cycle, some clams actually show stretch marks in their mantle because the shells are affected by good ol' gravity. If their adductor muscle is not up to the task, they could stretch somewhat. This weight in the shell structure is also why some larger clams lose/stop using their byssus port to create threads. They simply do not need them as the sheer weight of the shellfish is enough to keep it situated.

That clam, a big ol' derasa, looks just fine.

Dave

Thanks
    Cool, I learned something new!

Thread Information