Thread: New Clam help and tips apperchiated.

Thanks

New Clam help and tips apperchiated.

Well unfortounly I havent done m research for once but im gona start soon... My LFS is getting some New stuff in on thursday Im geting a Flame Angel.. Well sense I brought up the subject Clams. The LFS owner said.. How about a free Clam.. *Because the owner is gonna have back surgeury and I offerd to come in and work for him*... So he brought me too the computer and showed me I picked out a nice Clam. And he says its yours. Now i forgot what kind it is.. But its 2 Inches.. My Lighting consits of 4 T5's. and 2 PC's. So i have pretty good lights.. I also have a Sponge So i have been feeding Phyto. Any tips please?? Ill get you the name of the clam when i pick it up
    -Jace

Thanks
    bump :P...
    -Jace

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Hi Jace,

That is great that you offered to help with the LFS! I dont' have any clams so I can't give you much advice about them. I do believe that people feed small ones outside of the tank. I think that perhaps this is to increase the density of the phyto and make it more easily available to them.

Flame angels are beautiful but may not be entirely reef safe. Some are OK and others nip at corals. Did you ever get a QT set up?
    Carmie

Only disasters happen fast!

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Show people you value their advice! Click the STAR icon at the bottom of the post to add to their reputation.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Hey jace I don't know much about clams ether but I found some links for you maybe they might help.

Monterey Bay Aquarium: Online Field Guide - Giant clam

Saltwater Aquaria Magazine: Giant Clams Care
    Ray or Raymond
    There is no elevator to success in marine tanks. You have to take the stairs.

Raymond's 30 gallon tank
    Raymond's 60 gallon tank

Show people you appreciate their advice! Click the star icon under their name to add to their reputation.

Thanks
    Thanks Ray. Carmie I am Aware that Most Flames are reef safe but some arent. I try to overfeed to prevent that from happening...And No unforntunally I dont have a QT but I am thinking about getting a QT box inside of the tank.
    -Jace

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    No problem jace. Cant wait to see both the clam and the flame.
    Ray or Raymond
    There is no elevator to success in marine tanks. You have to take the stairs.

Raymond's 30 gallon tank
    Raymond's 60 gallon tank

Show people you appreciate their advice! Click the star icon under their name to add to their reputation.

Thanks
    I kno im excited just gota find my camera back to subject any more Info?? on clams
    -Jace

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Jace a QT box would protect a new fish from being picked on by current residents. But unfortunately, it won't really help protect your other inhabitants from parasites or disease.
    Carmie

Only disasters happen fast!

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Show people you value their advice! Click the STAR icon at the bottom of the post to add to their reputation.

Insightful Reefer
    Thanks
    I've got a crocea clam in my tank that's doing great. I feed phyto at least every other day and turn off my sump when feeding so not too much of the phyto gets sucked out of the DT.

So far, it's been a pretty easy keeper. My only challenge was that the first one I got was distressed and go eaten by a snail -- all bad.

Good luck,
    -Chris

Thanks
    How big is your tank?

Clams need a lot of light, especially Croceas. They _can_ live under T5s and even, rarely, in special circumstances, PCs, but metal halides or LEDs are optimum. Clams suck up a LOT of calcium and KH, you'll need to test often and dose as needed. Clams need really stable conditions, so keep a constant eye on your water conditions. The best evidence out there is that clams don't feed on phyto in our aquariums. It's possible that very tiny clams need some phyto but we don't see that size for sale. Commercially available clams rely on light.

I really suggest this link for the best clam advice I've found on the web. I strongly suggest any clam keepers do a lot of research here. In addition, I have James Featheree's book and it is excellent!!

Reef Aquarium Forum • Index page

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Giant-Clams-Aquarium-James-Fatherree/dp/0978619404/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1225258095&sr= 8-1]Amazon.com: Giant Clams in the Sea and the Aquarium: James W. Fatherree: Books[/ame]

I'm not an expert on clams, but I've done a bunch of research, and I've kept two Croceas happy and growing for almost a year. (Started in a 10 gallon, moved to a 20 last spring.)

Thread Information