Thread: which maxi-jet?

Thanks

which maxi-jet?

I am in the process of setting up my saltwater station.

I have purchased one of those large blue barrels that people commonly use in saltwater. I want to use this to store RO water so that I won't have to run back and forth to the water store.
    (I will eventually get my own RO/DI but this barrel will work for a starter.)

My tank is a 10 gallon so other than startup I would only be making 1 or at the most 2 gallons of saltwater a week. I have a 3 1/2 gallon bucket for saltwater and a new 200 watt Stealth heater for heating the water to temp.

What size maxi-jet do you suggest I purchase for the 2 gallon weekly waterchange?
    (I don't want to blow the water out of the bucket)

Or should I use some other type of pump???????

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    I'd say you could use a small one like a 400. A 200 watt heater is way much for a couple of gallons of water. I keep my fresh water at room temp as I am never adding that much at a time so the temperature difference is negligible.
    Carmie

Only disasters happen fast!

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Show people you value their advice! Click the STAR icon at the bottom of the post to add to their reputation.

Thanks
    thanks Carmie

What size heater do you suggest?

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    I'd say a 50 or 75 watter would do the job.
    Carmie

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Show people you value their advice! Click the STAR icon at the bottom of the post to add to their reputation.

Thanks
    I too keep my water at room temp - 77 degrees - until winter when my husband keeps room temp at 69 degrees!!

A small maxi like CarmieJo suggest would be perfect.
    I need to live where winter never happens.

Thanks
    I'll be mixing my water in an unfinished basement which is a little cooler than the rest of the house.

That's why I thought a 200 watt heater would be needed but I guess I really don't need to warm it till I'm ready to use it.
    The package is unopened so I'll exchange it for a smaller size.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    When I lived in OH our basement was in the 60's year around. I know you are further north but I think you will be fine. With that volume of water you could even mix it overnight in the basement and drop a small heater in if for an hour upstairs and bring it up to temp.

Rhonda, you must be a true southern girl. You live in TX and I don't think we even have winter here in NC!
    Carmie

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Insightful Reefer
    Thanks
    i keep my freshwater in my basement also i just get a cup and throw some in the microwave to warm it up right before i add it. i do the same with the salt water before a water change .got a big cup throw it in the nuke for a minute then stir it in to my 5 gallon bucket and and check the temp.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CarmieJo View Post
    I'd say a 50 or 75 watter would do the job.
    Carmie

I returned the Visi-Therm 200 watt heater and exchanged it for a 100 watt.
    I hope this works out. I'm sure it will fit in the bucket a little better anyway.
    With the extra money I picked up a PennPlax Silent Air B11 Back-up Air Pump.
    It doesn't hurt to have backup .

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    I have B11's on my tanks! They are really cheap insurance. I recommend just using an open ended piece of airline tubing and not an airstone as they will get clogged and not work when you need them.
    Carmie

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Thanks
    Yes CarmieJo, I am a true southern girl!! It is dropping in the mid to high 40's at night now and it is killing me!!

My husband is from Chicago and although he is now acclimated to the heat he still enjoys the cooling of the nights. He doesn't understand that "If we keep the air on 77 in the summer then we should keep the heat on 77 in the winter!! It only makes sense right - constant temp year round!!!
    This is one of my totally unreasonable ways of thinking I know but I get sick of wearing two layers of clothing in the house. The layers went on last week and I don't for see them leaving until April.
    I am still cold in the house in the summer at 77 so imagine how miserable I am in the winter with the stinking heat on 69..

I have also been known to keep out some of the water I am mixing and nuke it and add to the bucket to warm it when in a hurry. I mix 30g at a time so I gallon that has been warmed does well.

I also have the battery back up air pumps. We are trying to decided if we should invest in several Battery back ups like you use for computers. They each have about and 8 hr battery life and it would allow for the pumps to run as normal I just wouldn't have lighting. These units run about $120 each.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Yeah, I hear you my hubby is far more warm blooded than I. He would like to keep the house at 65 year round! I wear a hoodie in the house even with it at 76 in the summer. But I have to admit that it in in the mid 40s to mid 50s at night we are still sleeping with the windows open.
    Carmie

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Thanks
    Wow - you are a trooper to sleep with the windows open!!

I would never get out from under the three blankets I have to sleep under!!!

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    I keep pretending that we are camping! Truly I do love the fresh air. We have to keep the house closed up from when things start blooming in the spring until they are done in the fall due to allergies and so there is only about a month on either side of that where we can have the windows open. From November to February it is mostly too cold to open the windows.
    Carmie

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Apprentice
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by saltaddict View Post
    I need to live where winter never happens.
    I'm in Central Florida and winter even happens here... :/
    We'll be in the 40's tomorrow night... what's up w/ that?!?

Quote Originally Posted by saltaddict View Post
    I also have the battery back up air pumps. We are trying to decided if we should invest in several Battery back ups like you use for computers. They each have about and 8 hr battery life and it would allow for the pumps to run as normal I just wouldn't have lighting. These units run about $120 each.
    I just listen to a podcast today on this subject. You may want to go with the marine battery option, it may be a little cheaper and have a bit more life to it....?

Power Outage Prep - Podcast Episode 47

Thread Information