Thread: Nikon macro lens advice?

Insightful Reefer
    Thanks

Nikon macro lens advice?

Well, after nearly 20 years in the point and shoot business, I finally got back to an SLR. My last SLR was a Canon AE-1P that I bought in 1987 as a sophomore in high school. I used that camera until it literally fell apart (the bottom fell off in India and I scotch taped it back together).

I also finally finished our 2007 taxes AND convinced my wife to let me use our "economic stimulus check" on buying a digital SLR. I purchased a Nikon D90 kit that comes with a 18-105mm lens.

The camera came today and holy-mother-of-percula is it a nice camera. I've spent the last couple of days wading through the downloaded manual online and reading tip sites trying to get ready and feel like I have SO much to learn. Don't get me wrong, I understand the basics of shutter speed, aperture, ISO, depth of field, and all of that stuff and am THRILLED that I can really play with that stuff again. But that's just the beginning. I think I've got a couple of years in front of me getting used to this gem.

Anyway, before I hijack my own thread with too much blathering, I'm wondering if anyone can recommend a good (and hopefully inexpensive) macro lens for this camera.

So far, the ones I've looked at are these:
    • [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Sigma-105mm-Medium-Telephoto-Cameras/dp/B0002P19XK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=photo&qid=1224126636&sr=1-1"]Sigma 105mm f/2.8 EX DG Medium Telephoto Macro Lens for Nikon SLR Cameras[/ame]. This one looks like a very nice lens, especially with the extra "fast" max aperture of 2.8. My reservation on this one is really around the price. (and yes, I know that Nikon glass is a LOT more expensive for the same essential lens) Minimum focus distance is about 13 inches.
    • Sigma 70-300mm f/4-5.6 DG Macro Telephoto Zoom Lens for Nikon SLR Cameras. This one costs a lot less, has a pretty wide zoom range, but it's a much "slower" lens with a max aperture of 4-5.6. Also, the minimum focus distance is a little over 3ft.
    • [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Sigma-50mm-Macro-Nikon-Cameras/dp/B0002P19Q2/ref=pd_bbs_sr_3?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=12241404 98&sr=8-3"]Sigma 50mm f/2.8 EX DG Macro Lens for Nikon SLR Cameras[/ame]. This one seems like a good mix between the standard 55mm lens that I loved on my Canon and a macro lens. It's priced lower than the 105mm lens, but more than the zoom. Minimum focus distance is about 7", the best of the bunch. It also has a nice "fast" max aperture of 2.8

So, fellow reef photo nuts, what say you about lens choice? Any votes for the ones I've mentioned? Any alternatives?

I'm also planning on looking into used lenses at local camera shops to see if I can save some cash that way as well.

My goal is to get a good lens that I can use to get great photos of my tank inhabitants as well as other, less fishy stuff. I really like macro shots of all sorts of things, and think a macro lens will be a nice addition to the standard kit lens that came with the camera.

Thanks in advance,
    -Chris

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Hey Chris,

Congratulations on the new camera! I have a D50 and I love it. I don't think you can go wrong investing in good glass! My husband surprised me with the Nikkor 105mm VR lens 2 years ago for Christmas and it makes amazing images. It is very spendy and had I been buying it I would have bought a Sigma or Tamron.

I would not go with the zoom for what you want to do. It sounds like a decent lens for the price but I think you may be frustrated with the aperture and focusing distance.

I have a good 50mm f 1.4 lens as well as the 105. The advantage of the 50 is that I can hand hold it without shake. The 105 is a brick and I have to use a tripod with it. I am not sure how heavy the Sigma 105 is but that may be a consideration if you are wanting to use it to do outdoor macro stuff where a tripod might be inconvenient to carry.
    Carmie

Only disasters happen fast!

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Show people you value their advice! Click the STAR icon at the bottom of the post to add to their reputation.

Thanks
    o have a nikon d40 i love it so much no one use it in my house lol the glass i have is the one witch it comes with the camera and allso have a Tamron 28 300mm witch ill like to get som points on using the lens i think i can get way beter pictures with it like how to work with the lens
    acrylic guru

Thanks
    Although I have not used the Sigma 105mm... It is the one I want for macro. I have a Nikon D60 and I'm just trying to stop buying corals long enough to buy one of these lenses. GL!

Insightful Reefer
    Thanks
    Well, I put an ebay bid on the 50mm Sigma lens. We'll see how it goes. If I don't win that one with a price that works for me, I may also try a bid on a 105. We'll see how it goes.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    I use the sigma 105, its nice
    got these with it:

the lens will produce 1:1
    I like the faster speed, it makes the lens great for portraits, low light situations, and singling out one object via depth of field. All in all a great piece of glass

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    WOW that lens takes awsome pics the clarity of them is amazing. Great photos Thanks
    Ray or Raymond
    There is no elevator to success in marine tanks. You have to take the stairs.

Raymond's 30 gallon tank
    Raymond's 60 gallon tank

Show people you appreciate their advice! Click the star icon under their name to add to their reputation.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    having a D200 helps too

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by photojohn View Post
    having a d200 helps too
    Carmie

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Show people you value their advice! Click the STAR icon at the bottom of the post to add to their reputation.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PhotoJohn View Post
    having a D200 helps too
    yah that has to help alot to lol
    Ray or Raymond

Raymond's 30 gallon tank
    Raymond's 60 gallon tank

Show people you appreciate their advice! Click the star icon under their name to add to their reputation.

Insightful Reefer
    Thanks
    Well, I was able to get the 50mm sigma lens used for a pretty good price. It should be showing up here on Wednesday or Thursday.

I'll post some pics when it arrives.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Joyride
    I'll post some pics when it arrives
    Great cant wait. Thanks
    Ray or Raymond

Raymond's 30 gallon tank
    Raymond's 60 gallon tank

Insightful Reefer
    Thanks
    Well, the lens came this afternoon and I was able to snap off a few quick pics. Most of them didn't come out, but I was able to get one decent still and a video. One of the reasons I got the D90 was that I wanted the feature that allows you to take videos from the SLR's Live View mode.

Here's the pic:

This pic is focused on one of the tendrils of my Green Sinularia coral. Aperture f2.8. Shutter speed 1/100. ISO800. Focal length about 3"

Here's the movie: Turbo Snail Tongue on Vimeo. (I tried to embed the vimeo movie, but it didn't work. We'll have to go with a link.)
    This one was also shot at F2.8 and ISO 800 (not sure if ISO applies in video mode). Focal length's about 1.5-2"

More to come as I figure out this lens.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    its not focal length but focus distance. the focal length is the length of the lens (50mm, 105mm ect...)

ISO 800 might be a bit high. I have read nikon does a decent job with higher ISOs however you will probably get a better image at 400 or below.

The f stop of 2.8 will make it hard to get an image you like in the macro world. At f2.8 the amount on the image that will be in focus is very small just a few MM thick. try f8 to f16 and see what you get. You will need a tripod for this.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks joyride for the and video very neat.
    Ray or Raymond

Raymond's 30 gallon tank
    Raymond's 60 gallon tank

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Images shot at 400 on my D50 are nearly as good as those shot at 200. I can see a degradation in image quality at 800 although I would still characterize images as good. ISO 1600 is pretty grainy. BTW, my camera is now 3 generations old and I have read that sensitivity is one of the areas that Nikon has really improved upon.
    Carmie

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Insightful Reefer
    Thanks
    Thanks John, meant focus distance, but got my wires crossed. Thanks for the correction. Also, as for the Tripod, absolutely. The pic above was shot handheld and it shows. None of the other pics I took handheld came out worth a damn, but that's also probably got a lot to do with me setting the aperture to be so wide. I've got a rock solid tripod that I used to use for some semi-pro video work I did.

I'm planning to play around with the Aperture and ISO ratings to see if I can figure out what's optimal for me and for this camera. The camera goes up to ISO 3200, then has three more settings (H0.3, H0.7, and H1.0 -- whatever that means). I'm really curious to see what the noise looks like at higher ISO settings, with all other things the same. I've got Nikon's camera control software on 30 day trial right now, so I may be able to play around with that stuff without too much effort. I'll let you guys know what I come up with.

John, one quick question. The lens I got was used off of ebay, and it makes a noise when focusing in and out that sounds like ball bearings in the focus ring. Is that a noise that your camera makes? It's a little disconcerting when I hear it, but I'm not sure if it's something that happens will all of Sigma's lenses or just the one I got. How quiet is your 105 when you focus in and out?

Thanks again for the comments and tips, I'm always open to suggestions and new ideas.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    I hand hold some macro photos, they never turn out either, but i keep doing it! lol go figure. My Bogan makes a world of difference

My 105 focuses very slow on auto and it is noisy. I found it a bit loud but I never auto focus macro shots anyway, the error margin is nil and I like to play until i think i have it just right...then take a few change it and take a few more ext... So i am guessing the noise is just part of the lens, i totally forgot about the noise, manual all the way

Insightful Reefer
    Thanks
    Thanks John.

The tripod I've got from when I did video work is a Manfrotto with a "distributed by bogen" sticker on it. I like how solid it is, but it gets a little heavy when lugging it around. I'm thinking about looking into a different head for it at some point, but for now it's great.

I also have a lightweight-cheapo tripod that I use sometimes as well. It's a lot lighter, but doesn't feel nearly as solid either. The weight of the SLR also makes it a little more difficult to work the head.

I gotta say that I'm really having a good time with this camera. I didn't realize how much I've missed having a good camera around. My Canon Powershot A620 is a great little point & shoot and I'm going to keep it around for when I don't want to carry the big camera. But the SLR is something I'm really looking forward to learning how to get the most out of. So many things to learn about. Can't wait.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    mine is a manfrotto as well

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    I have a Bogen as well. It weighs a ton but it is as solid as a rock. I had a cheapie for years but what a difference this baby makes!
    Carmie

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    I would love the carbon fiber one...light, but you pay for every lost ounce with gold

Thread Information