Thread: Emerald Crab

Curious Reefer
    Thanks

Emerald Crab

I've done my research on Emerald Crabs, read they are MOSTLY reef safe, granted they are still opportunistic omnivores, and went ahead and bought one. Drip acclimated him and added him to my tank after his obligatory 4 week quarantine. He did great in my reef tank for about an hour or 2 then decided THE spot to be was clinging to my Sinularia finger coral. This aggrivated the coral and all the polyps withdrew. The crab was banished to the sump for now.

I was wondering if anyone heard of something like this happening or if he may decide to leave it alone and I should put him back in the main part of the tank. Thoughts, suggestions? Thanks a bunch

Thanks
    he will be fine, if you have any food in the tank thats easier to get, that will be the target. i have an emerald in my fifty with some finger leather. he dosnt bother it at all. in fact i want to get a few more crabs.
    we are all on the long road to our dream tanks, im going slow and enjoying the journey!

Insightful Reefer
    Thanks
    i tried an emerald crab in my tank to get rid of some bubble algae i have and instead he decided he would rather eat my pulsing xenia and my gsp . so i caught him and moved him to my other tank where he decided he enjoyed ripping zoanthid polyps from their rocks all over the tank. so after catching him once again he now lives in a fish only tank and for all the aggravation he caused i hope he's thankful i put him there and din't feed him to my cat.
    so even though alot of them will do fine and not bother a thing you can trust me and believe some are just trouble and must be banished.

Curious Reefer
    Thanks
    Ok...I'll try him one last time...just to make sure he won't just "get over it" and move on to the food that i offer...if he's just "evil" it'll be banishment to the sump or the first permanent resident of my quarantine tank...

How long would the finger leather be alright to be closed up if he resumes his previous antics? A week? Or is that far too long? I didn't see him eating or picking at the coral...just sitting in it...

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    I think my finger leather has closed up for a week just because it wanted to.
    Carmie

Only disasters happen fast!

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Show people you value their advice! Click the STAR icon at the bottom of the post to add to their reputation.

Curious Reefer
    Thanks
    Ok! Hope he's learned his lesson haha

Thanks
    i have never had a ploblem with my emerald, i also have green star polyps, and he dosnt seem to care that they are there. i know it has seen them, he has walkid through them. the only issue i have is that he likes to do some late night landscaping and move all of my small rubble to the back right corner of the tank.
    we are all on the long road to our dream tanks, im going slow and enjoying the journey!

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by boyesreef
    the only issue i have is that he likes to do some late night landscaping and move all of my small rubble to the back right corner of the tank.
    haha your little craby landscaper lol
    Ray or Raymond
    There is no elevator to success in marine tanks. You have to take the stairs.

Raymond's 30 gallon tank
    Raymond's 60 gallon tank

Show people you appreciate their advice! Click the star icon under their name to add to their reputation.

Thread Information