Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Setting up a mini reef tank

Thanks

Setting up a mini reef tank

I'm thinking about going with a 10 gallon or a 5 1/2 reef tank. Is it possible to go with a berlin setup with a tank this small? and what type of fish will i be able to put in there besides clownfish and damsels

Thanks
    yes its possible to use a berlin system in a nano tank.
    nano tanks are inherently unstable, so constant care and monitoring are required.

im not sure if this is your first tank, but i would not recommend this if it is your first SW tank.

as far as inhabitant you are limited. you can have your share if snail and small crabs, even a cleaner shrimp or peppermint shrimp or two.
    For fish you are really limited to damsel fish, like damsels, clowns and chromis. you can also look into other small fish like firefish, and gobies.

many people try to do a anemone and clown fish combo, bu tthe needs of anemones are uite high, and its not recomemnded for newbies.

another very interesting (more so than the clown and anemone in my opinion) is a shrimp goby and a pistol shrimp.. do a bit of looking on shrimp gobies. the interaction between the two, is truely awesome..

Rob
    Show people you appreciate there advice, click the icon under there name and give them Reputation points

Thanks
    thanks for the reply

yea it would be my first saltwater tank , i know it would be easier with a bigger tank but i'm up for the challange. plus the petshop where i work at right now doesnt pay me enough right now to get the 125g dream tank that i want :wink:
    i have a few follow up question

1 - Is the berlin system the best system to go with with a nano tank?
    2 - What type of protein skimmer can i use for it? i though a skimmer would be to big to use for a 10 g or 5 g tank
    3 - is it better to use live sand or the regualr marine sand they sell
    4 - I think im going to go with the shrimp goby and pistol shrimp combination, a banded cleaner shrimp and a few snails and hermit crabs. Would a clownfish added in there be too much for the tank

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by henry
    yea it would be my first saltwater tank , i know it would be easier with a bigger tank but i'm up for the challange. plus the petshop where i work at right now doesnt pay me enough right now to get the 125g dream tank that i want :wink:
    i understand the cost restraints, and as long as you understand that a nano tank can be ten time the work.. ok..
    Please dont tank that as negative, i just want to make sure you are aware.. .now that we got that outta the way, lets answer your questions..

1 - Is the berlin system the best system to go with with a nano tank?
    probably.. do a 4-5 inch deep sand bed, about 1 Lbs of live rock per gallon, lots of current (about 15 tanks an hour) and a skimmer.

2 - What type of protein skimmer can i use for it? i though a skimmer would be to big to use for a 10 g or 5 g tank
    you can look at a skilter 250, shoudl be good for 10 gallon, or look at http://www.aquatraders.com they have a handfull of skimmers that will work, most of the small ones are less than $40

3 - is it better to use live sand or the regualr marine sand they sell
    i woudl use real live sand.. one bag should be more than enough, so it wont be real expensive

4 - I think im going to go with the shrimp goby and pistol shrimp combination, a banded cleaner shrimp and a few snails and hermit crabs. Would a clownfish added in there be too much for the tank
    great choice, they are really cool.. and yes, it may be pushing it. the tank is goign to be small, so it wont handle much bio load. i would also check to see of that coral banded shrimp is compatable.. they get pretty big, and those shrimp gobies, stay pretty small..

if you go with the 10 gallon (which i suggest you do ) you "might" be able to add a clown. keep it to a percula, or an ocellaris, adn only after a while.. make sure the tank will handle the excess bio-load.

and fianlly, as anything else.. do as much homework as you can before you add your first critter.. and feel free to bring any questions you have here.
    Show people you appreciate there advice, click the icon under there name and give them Reputation points

Thanks
    banded coral shrimp grow big? in liveaquaria.com they have them only growing to 2 inches [http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=698&TopCatId=525][/url]

Thanks
    i dont know what they are measuring when they say 2"
    i have seen them much bigger than 2"
    maybe just htere body

also see the section on that page where they say
    It may harass other smaller shrimp of different species
    personally i would say stay away from it... especially with the shrimp goby, and pistol shrimp...

besides, i belive they need large tanks...

Thanks
    i'll take your advise than about not getting the coraly banded shrimp

15 tanks an hour meaning i would need 150 gph in a 10 g tank right?

Thanks
    yeppers... and if you dont keep any coral, you should be good there...
    a couple small powerheads, and you shoudl be set.

Thanks
    you mean i can't keep any corals ?????

Thanks
    oh you mean no corals with 150gph....so how much gph should i have in the tank if i wanted corals

Thanks
    lol.. yes you can keep corals, but should be carfull what you put in there.
    there not alot of room.. coral need bit of breathing rooms as they tend to start chemical warfare, if they get too close together.. either way, again.. its a matter of research... jsut may close attention to what oyu put in there...

as for flow, im sorry, i stated that wrong...
    depending on what corals are added, you may beed to increase the flow rate to 20 tanks an hour or so. you can keep some at 15X but you may need to increase depending on the specific coral

Thanks
    in the website nano-reef.com says that the only type of filtration thats needed in a nano tank is the live rock and live sand, they say thats the best way to go. whats your opinion on that

Thanks

Thanks
    there points are valid... skimming does remove both good and bad things...
    this applies to tanks large and small..
    they state that it would cause you to have to test and dose trace elements.
    it then goes on on to say you should do 10-15% water changes to replace trace elements and remove nitrates... sounds liek they are presenting the solution right there...

the smallest tank i have ever kept was a 29 gallon. and i use a skimmer..
    do weekly water changes and dont add any additives
    i cant make a recommendation based on experince for a tank thats 5 or 10 gallons as you were lokking at.

what i could recommend is to start with no skimmer.. keeping a close eye on things and if you need one add one...

sorry i cant give you more specific direction... im sure you could be successfull either way you go. if you are concerned, there shouldnt be any harm in trying it without a skimmer, and monitoring.

Thanks
    don't add any addidtives, meaning iodine and calcium suppliments, and things like that?

Thanks
    correct.
    a good brand of synthetic sea salt will contain all of your major and minor trace elements, something like Instant Ocean (which is what i use). Check out Podcast Ep-6 for more information on sythetic sea salts
    http://www.talkingreef.com/modules.p...article&sid=12

i did a whole show on sea salts, whats in them, and stuff like that

Thanks
    ok

Thanks
    im thinking about converting my african cichlid tank into a reef tank...how much live rock will i need for my 29 g tank

Thanks
    sounds like a great idea
    (nothing against cichlids )

the "general" rule is about 1-2 Lbs per gallon.
    you should be good with about 30-40 Lbs.
    a good cost saving option i discused in Episode 17 is to use base rock too..

in this case i would get about 10-15 Lbs of LR and then the rest as regular not live, base rock.. setup the base rock as base, and then add the LR ontop of it... the LR will seed the base rock, and in about 4-6 months you will have all LR..

Thanks
    how many inches high will that be in the tank

Thanks
    Hmmm.. well that really depends.. if you get smaller rocks, not as much.. larger rocks.. will be more...

you will likely fill the back 2/3 of the tank... and about 2/3 up to the top...

sorry if that doesnt make sense.. but what i mena is you will bave 3-5" of sand in the front, and about 3-5 fromt he top of the rocks to the surface...

you should be ok.. start at 25 Lb, and see how that works... it may not be enough.. but you can always start there.. and as long as your bio-load is low, you might be able to stay there...

Thanks
    Rob, is there any way we could talk instant messaging....do you have AIM

Thanks
    absolutely...
    click on the little AIM button at the bottom of my posts, adn you will get me..

if it doesnt work, my SN is webcyberh

Thanks
    is the amount of live rock i have in the tank going to factor in on how many fish im going to be able to keep in the tank

Thanks
    to a certain extent yes...
    if you have the proper amount of LR, you can keep the normal amount of fish..

less LR, less fish..

now, this is a VERY general rule...
    you really have to take into account the bio-load and size of the fish, along with there specific needs. you may be able to keep 2 or 5 fish in there, it more depends on the species and there needs than it does the amount of LR...

the importance of the LR is to be able to process the additional BIO-load.. and proccess the waste and by products of having those fish.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information