Thread: Cold Cathode DIY Moonlight

Thanks

Cold Cathode DIY Moonlight

I've read back and forth about different gizmos for moonlights, LEDs, ropelights and cold cathode tubes. I went to Radio Shack to check something out and saw a blue dual Cold Cathode kit on sale for $9.99, regularily $19.99. These are make for the folks who like to trick out their PCs and such and is configured for 12VDC.

I already had a blue LED light bar I had picked up at Wallyworld but it didn't have enough brightness and would just give you very basic outlines of stuff and couldn't really see anything. My plan was to buy some LED light strips and wire them in but saw this and figured what the heck.

I have an old power inverter from some long-lost, broken electronics gizmo lying around rated at 12V and 1000mA that I "tested" it with. Adds some very awesome light but feel its between the actinics and nothing on at all, so its probably too bright. Not sure if I want to step down the voltage to another old invererter in the range of 9VDC or just try using a rheostat to dim the voltage. I definitley have to play around with it more, extend the wires and such and look at a good way to dim the light.

Anyone ever use these before?

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    This sounds like a cool way to add some moonlights. My NanoCube only has one switch so I have the PC's on a timer and this may be a good way to add them back in. But, the review here RadioShack.com - Computers: Components & parts: PC mods: Dual Blue Cold Cathode 12" Light 2-Pack does say they get hot...
    Carmie

Only disasters happen fast!

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Show people you value their advice! Click the STAR icon at the bottom of the post to add to their reputation.

Thanks
    I've fired them up with a 12v power supply and they don't get too hot at all. Having both on proved to be a little too bright and I plugged them into a 7.5V power supply and it dropped it down a little bit. Have to wait for the sun to go down before I can really see how they look on the tank at a reduced voltage. They are very light, encased in acrylic and the light portion is about as thick as those glo-light necklaces you get at fairs and such.

Not as deep blue as the LED's but nice and moonlike tho. I'm going to try it out tonight and get my fiance's opinion. There was just one left on the shelf and at $10, it was worth a look at. Right now I'm about 60/40 on keeping them. My other plan was to go with a few of these strategically placed around my canopy:
    Rectangular Superflux LED Channel Light

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    That idea sounds great If you can could you get pictures of the lights if you dont mind sure appreciate it. Also the superflux LED channel lights look great so ether way they are going to look good on your tank. Thanks
    Raymond
    Ray or Raymond
    There is no elevator to success in marine tanks. You have to take the stairs.

Raymond's 30 gallon tank
    Raymond's 60 gallon tank

Show people you appreciate their advice! Click the star icon under their name to add to their reputation.

Thanks
    Well bad news is I'm going to take the cold cathodes back. I saw a big thread on these at nano-reef.com and most people agree that the right light brightness is best around 7-9VDC using a variable transformer that would set me back $10-20, plus at the lower voltage only 1/2 to 2/3 of the bulb itself is lit, so in the end I'd be $20-30 in the hole and not happy with the light.

I'm going to go with the Luxeon LED modules and have a way to make them dimmable. With LED's you can't just send lower voltage to them, eventually they will fail well ahead of their normal lifespan. But if you send a variable series of on and off's with Pulse Width Modulation (basically blinking them so fast you can't even see it with your eye) you can dim them safely.

Problem is with that, you need a timing IC chip and a few other simple compnents, some soldering skills, etc. Well I did work on avionics equipment in the Navy, and was all set to buy the components and hope I got it all right. I found this little electronics kit, which is exactly what I need. FK804 DC Motor Speed Control. All the parts I need and the circuit board as well. You can pick up a plastic little box to hold it, a nice little illuminated power switch, an old power supply I have already and then I just wire in either 4 or 6 of those LED modules in my canopy and I will have fully dimmable LED moonlights!

I know it sounds anal, but for $5 I can live with so-so moonlights, but for $30....I might as well get EXACTLY what I want

This great post at Instructables pretty much sold me on sticking with my LED plan. Of course I'm taking it to the next level...but someone has to do it And of course, I know you are going to ask....I will take GOOD notes and LOTS of pics when I do

Thread Information