Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Nano tank or 30 gallon tank with 20g sump?

Curious Reefer
    Thanks
    CarmieJo, there are only a couple of LFS in my area, none will drill I'm afraid. Think I can do it myself anyhow.
    Thanks Damien

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    I have watched a drilling demo at the LFS and it did not look that hard, just a little scary.
    Carmie

Only disasters happen fast!

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Show people you value their advice! Click the STAR icon at the bottom of the post to add to their reputation.

Insightful Reefer
    Thanks
    I've drilled a few tanks now. It is really easy. Just let the weight of the drill do the work and keep water flowing over it. I took the tank out side and used the garden hose. Make sure to put something soft underneath to catch the plug when it drops.

The hardest part is keeping the holes started where you want. The bits don't usually have a pilot and tend to "walk" when you first start.

Curious Reefer
    Thanks
    I guess even if the drill scratched a bit it wouldn't be too bad, as the overflow box would be in front so you wouldn't see it anyway. I am going to use a drill press which should stop the drill slipping I think.. I am going to upload an idea for my sump soon, hopefully you guys will be as helpful with that as you have been so far

Curious Reefer
    Thanks
    Ok, just cause you asked and I assume you haven't drilled yet I will give my input.

Eshopps.. I have that exact overflow you pictured.. It is working very well for me and I recently sold it to someone else. Yes you would have to check it periodically but it really isn't much of a task. Every few days to a week you can just glance at it and make sure it is fine and that is all you have to do. If you are ever worried about it breaking siphon you simply buy a decent pump with a hose attachment for input and you stick it up in the siphon tube and all air will be sucked out when and if it goes in there.. Problem solved...

If I had the money to buy/drill a tank I would... but as of right now I don't see a serious reason to do so. But I also haven't ever had my house destroyed..

Thanks
    I hear you! My fiance gave me a 75g (total ssurprise!) for Christmas 2006. I decided to build my own stand and was taking it slow, looking at what I needed to buy and started stockpiling the things like lights, rocks, sand, etc. FINALLY got it wet and going May 1 and man was that slow!!!! It was so hard reading the forums, listening to podcasts with my tank collecting dust in the garage but I am so much better off because of it.

I really regret not drilling mine and really liked the Glass Holes overflows. I did a DIY HOB overflow and really like it even though I am not drilled. ANY standpipe/overflow setup is prone to blocks and if your pump is pushing more than your overflow can handle....guess what? YOU FLOOD no matter what you have (reef ready, drilled, HOB, etc). So it takes time to know your system, fine tune it and keep it going good. If you ignore the cleaning and peeking around at everything every day or so, you'll be fine.

Thanks for the avatar comment. I was listening to Black Flag when I was playing with the avatar and decided to put this up insted of my goofy @$$ mug

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    I drilled my 75g aga tank and it was loud scary and way stressful but it was also really easy. The first hole took me almost an hour, the second half that.

Curious Reefer
    Thanks
    In the vids up on youtube, it seems to be done in 5 minutes. I didn't realise it took that long..

Curious Reefer
    Thanks
    yippe, my eheim 1260 return pump and aquaC urchin skimmer arrived today. I'll soon be able to get this tank started....once I figure out what way to design the sump/ fuge.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    awsome cant wait.
    Ray or Raymond
    There is no elevator to success in marine tanks. You have to take the stairs.

Raymond's 30 gallon tank
    Raymond's 60 gallon tank

Show people you appreciate their advice! Click the star icon under their name to add to their reputation.

Curious Reefer
    Thanks
    Excited now, today, my SCWD wave making thing arrived and also my glass-holes.com kit for drilling the bulkhead. Those guys even sent me some sweets in the box. How nice is that?

Insightful Reefer
    Thanks
    Those guys are really awesome (and they have a great sense of humor)!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information