Thread: Seahorse care?

Thanks

Seahorse care?

I was thinking about trying seahorses. Would they do fine in a 30g hex tank? Could they be kept with a canister filter, a very over sized one. What are some obstacles ppl have with keeping them? Are there any fish you could keep with them, cardinals, dart fish, clowns?
    It's not the size of the boat, it's the motion of the ocean, but it takes a long time to get to London in a row boat.

Grand Master Reefer Seahorsedreams's Avatar
    Thanks
    Yes, they would do fine in a 44 hex,

A canister fitter would be fine if you keep it clean (same with any tank though).

Obstacles..... hmmmmmm.... what would you consider an obstacle? I do consider them a higher maintenance fish than the average Joe fish. Hard question to answer.

There are other fish that can be kept with them, however I keep seahorse only tanks for a few reasons. If I were to consider any fish it would have to be captive bred. My seahorses are all captive bred and are the only ones I would ever consider buying. I wouldn't want any WC cooties to get on them. There's a guide HERE that may help with selection if you choose to go that route. Just remember that every individual is different and the Tankmates Guide is meant as a guideline... not gospel.
    Renee

Thanks
    Also check out the podcasts for the seahorse series. They are excellent and provide a lot of good information.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Reef Newb View Post
    Also check out the podcasts for the seahorse series. They are excellent and provide a lot of good information.
    Yes, please do. One of those guys is my hubby
    Renee

Thanks
    I have been reading and it seems that both gobies and pistol shrimp will have little to no impact with seahorses. does anyone have an objection to that? Putting a pair of seahorses in with a goby pistol shrimp pair, and maybe a dragonet.
    It's not the size of the boat, it's the motion of the ocean, but it takes a long time to get to London in a row boat.

Thanks
    I personally don't like putting fish with my seahorses because those that are compatible are not CB like my horses are. I can't see spending all sorts of money on CB and then mixing them with WCs. I can't stress enough the importance of a good lengthy QT of the appropriate fish you would like to add.

What kind of goby?

Dragonette... I wouldn't. They like pods and so do seahorses. The population will be wiped out in a heartbeat.

HERE'S a guide that may help you. We are going to be updating it shortly to take in account environment and food incompatibilities. Right now they are rated on behaviour alone... for the most part.
    Renee

Thanks
    I would like to put them with a Yashia White Ray Shrimp Goby and Banded Pistol Shrimp.

Thanks
    That would be fine...... just make sure you get one large enough so the horses aren't tempted. I saw one at the LFS the other day that my horses would be able to eat without a problem. He was the size of a small feeder goby.
    Renee

Thanks
    seahorses would eat the pistol shrimp???

Thanks
    the goby......
    Renee

Thanks
    Really!?!?!? why is that?

Thanks
    Cause it's food?

If it's big enough it won't be a problem.... but I saw a tiny tiny one recently.... don't get one like that.

The horse can't snick it down whole but it can keep snicking at it until it's pulverized and consumable.

Just be careful if you order one online and it comes to you super small. Give it an opportunity to grow up in another tank if need be. I have no idea what the shipping sizes are for these guys..... I hope it's nothing like the LFS.
    Renee

Thanks
    Thank you very much for the advice, I never would have considered them to harm the goby. I will mkae sure I get one that is larger then. Would'nt the pistol shrimp defend the goby? I mean I hope it would never come to that as the shrimp may knock out the horse.

Thanks
    I actually have no idea if the pistol would protect. Someone else may have the answer to that one.
    Renee

Thanks
    Pistol Shrimp actually will dig a hole in which the pistol shrimp and the goby will share in and alert each other if a predator is coming.
    I am disappointed in mankind, they have wiped out several species or put the animal's life on the brink of survival,

You are looking at the most dangerous creature that has wiped out several specimens or endangered the species
    - A Random Zoo phrase

Thread Information