Thread: Overheating + Solution

Thanks

Overheating + Solution

So...I get home yesterday....my 4 line has ich, my corals don't look happy, and the tank temperature is somewhere over 82° (don't know exactly how high or for how long. The apartment was roasting, and we had a power outage that day.

SO....I decided to kick this in the butt.

I have an extra 4" 30CFM fan. I also have a power filter on my nano. SO...I removed the cover on my power filter (should have been done a while ago), and made an eggcrate "cover", ziptied the fan to the "cover". The air blows over the rushing water, creating a nice little A/C unit for the tank! I have a 150 watt heater in the tank (it is what I had), so I'm not too worried about overcooling the tank.

The tank is now a toasty 78°...and holding!

-Jon

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Great idea. We haven't turned on the AC yet and my tank got up to 82 yesterday. So, I went to the store looking for a clip on fan to blow over my sump and they didn't have any. Anyhow I turned on my chiller. I think I will modify this idea for my sump. That fan has to use less power than my chiller.

Carmie

Thanks
    floating frozen 20 oz or 2 ltr bottles are a great way to get a quick cool down, but dont make the best permanent solutions.

i dont have to deal with overheating since all my stuff is in the basement, but fans to help, and are a more permanent solution for many people
    Show people you appreciate there advice, click the icon under there name and give them Reputation points

Thanks
    the fan thing works ok if need a temperary fix. watch out for the rapid h20 evap
    |*****\\ARRRRRR//*****|

Thanks
    Yeah, I filled it up to the rim to see how much evaporated in a day. basically I evaporated about a liter of water. I can deal with that...not much more, though.
    -Jon

Thanks
    alright...last night temp went down to 74 last night...so I moved the heater temp up a bit...now the temp went back up to 83, and finally I *hope* I have it stable at 78. I'm evaporating about a liter per day...and the heater turns on a lot during the day. BUT...I turn the fan off, and the temperature will start to climb. If I leave the fan on, I'm evaporating a lot out...DARN the stupid weather starting to heat up.
    -Jon

Thanks
    jeep, becareful of fluctuation in temp like that. it could seriously harm the guys in your tank. try to keep it consistant. try setting the heater in your tank on a level where it stays the same at nite even with the fan on. might keep stress levels in the tanks down.
    good luck
    |*****\\ARRRRRR//*****|

Our Brotha Down Unda
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

manual, but cheap cooler

even though it gets hot here, i dont have the temp problem anymore because a reverse ducting systems heats or cools the house. but it was not always the case.
    i have tryed party ice bags in the tank, ice melts way to quickly and frankly leakage of the bag was a problem, i then rigged up an esky(u guys call them a party ice box i think) i drilled a hole ether end with a pipe running straight though it.(thought about using a copper pipe, but then i realise that would be plain stupid) then filled it with straw and dried ice, and after sealing everything with trusty duct tape _-pumped the water from the tank through the box and back again. had to be there to watch the temp didn't get to cold to quick . thought straw would even the temp flux, it does to a certain extent, but shit, cold is.......well, cold!

upgraded latter to a camping cooler that runs off the main power, or a car or marine battery.
    they have a themostat that kicks once it gets warm enough. same pipe job as above but didn't really have to be watching it, it was a chiller essentially, but very cheap and portable.

power cut outs were not a real biggy. so long as its didnt stay out for too long! it was taken care of by ether a UPS and/or the sealed battery.
    camping stores have a the good stuff,just got to tinker

Vquilibrium Productions

Thanks

cooling ideas

This is one of the main reason I plan to put my new tank sump in the basement if at least part of the water a chance to go to the basement and cool I keep my tank abit cooler then most about 76 I find all the corals are happy and the fish as well. I doubt many fish or corals are gathered in a area where the water temp is 80 degrees I have even had the temp go lower with no problems down to 72. if the basement sump doesn't work I will have to invest in a cooler. I thought of moving my tank to the basement like Rob but I spend most of my time in my living room. I would be missrable not to look over at my swimming friends.

Thread Information