Thread: Going to Check Out 20K+ sq ft LFS :)

Thanks

Going to Check Out 20K+ sq ft LFS :)

Have to go catch a flight tomorrow for a tech conference in San Diego (DEMOfall 08) and am flying out of San Jose. I'm hoping to get at least an hour to take a peek at this place that just opened the Aquarium Showroom. I know Floodland checked it out and I've been waiting over a year to see this place.

Check it out:

The Aquarium Showroom - San Jose, CA

Thanks
    Wow that looks great. make sure you let me know how it is for prices and selection and what not I live in the bay area so its only about 45 min from me, looks like it would definately be worth the trip

Thanks
    RN...went and checked it out and its impressive so far but would wait a few weeks before making a trip down. They have a lot of space have most of the tanks filled with water and will probably start having a really decent stock then. Best bet is to follow the thread on BAR and call before you try to come down and see what they have. They've only been open for about 2 weeks so its still getting all set up. The pirate ship and display tanks are awesome and worth seeing alone. Max, the owner, is looking to set up a wholesale to the public if he can get good traction rolling through the shop. Good potential tho.

What part do you live in? Which places do you like?

Thanks
    That sounds good. I live in the East Bay, so I go to a place called the Lucky Goldfish which is in Oakland right near Berkeley. Its a good place with a great coral and clam selection as well as dry goods, the fish selection is decent but the owner is a great guy and will try and get anything you want. I also like to go to All about fish in Concord which is a very large store and has a good selection of fish and dry goods although it is a little pricy. There is also a small place Albany Aquarium that has the best staff and best prices although there selection is a bit small.

Thanks
    There is a Lucky Goldfish here too in San Jose, I have been thinking about going by there to see what they have.

Aquarium Showroom is impressive in it's size, the people are nice, the fish prices seem good (better then most of the LFS I visit) and they have a big collection of used equipment if you are looking for pumps, skimmers, etc they seem to bargain. But I will agree with bbl_nk that it is not ready for a trip from anywhere outside of SJ
    Hardware: Two display tanks: 215G Oceanic RR/120G Oceanic RR, 65G Sump + 30G Refugium, Octo Extreme Skimmer, Snapper pump.
    Coral: Xenia, Zoas, GSP, Frogspawn, Cats Paw, Tyree Birdsnest, 3 Montis..
    Livestock: 2 P. Clowns, 5 Pajama Cardinals, Yellow Wrasse, Leopard Wrasse, Mystery Wrasse, Ranfordi Gobi, Maroon Clown, Yellow Tang, Lawnmower blenny, Diamond Goby, 2 Anemones and 3 shrimp.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    That is a nice fish store It looks great thanks for sharing
    Raymond
    Ray or Raymond
    There is no elevator to success in marine tanks. You have to take the stairs.

Raymond's 30 gallon tank
    Raymond's 60 gallon tank

Show people you appreciate their advice! Click the star icon under their name to add to their reputation.

Thanks
    The do a lot of custom tank and stand designs. If I had the money and wasn't such a DIY nut, I would hit them up...great craftmanship. They also have meeting areas that are very elegant and have tanks in there....would be great for a wedding reception for a reefer

Thanks
    I met with Max yesterday and he gave me a lot of insight into how to do the overflow and return piping correctly which was nice. He also assembled some loc-line stuff for me so that I was ready to go.
    Hardware: Two display tanks: 215G Oceanic RR/120G Oceanic RR, 65G Sump + 30G Refugium, Octo Extreme Skimmer, Snapper pump.
    Livestock: 2 P. Clowns, 5 Pajama Cardinals, Yellow Wrasse, Leopard Wrasse, Mystery Wrasse, Ranfordi Gobi, Maroon Clown, Yellow Tang, Lawnmower blenny, Diamond Goby, 2 Anemones and 3 shrimp.

Thanks
    That is so awesome. Max seems like he's really into helping the hobbyist out which is a smart move. Most LFS don't realize that after a while, we get smarter and hit these boards and find out 90% of the time they are passing on dated or misinformation then stop going to them. They make their money off the new folks that get burned and out of the hobby in a year...which is horrible biz sense.

Thanks
    Yea.. but you have to be aware.. Max overcharged me for something and when I notified him later (based on looking at what the list was) he was quick to respond that he will credit me back. What I am finding in this business is a lot of prices are set on the spot and you have to be aware of what you end up getting charged at the final checkout. Aquatic Gallery is very bad for this, but their stuff is amazing, the people are really really nice, very helpful, but the business just seems to be a bit messily run.

Max's new store is amazing, he's helpful, all his people are, but I think it's too big, too little traffic right now for them to have it turned into a well oiled machine.

I still really like my friendly LFS the most, he is in this for the long haul with me, he refuses to sell me things, offers to help wherever possible and has a very simple pricing structure. If it's in the $9.99 tank, it's $9.99

Thanks
    I think you should stick with Neptunes too...especially since he won't let you take anything unless he knows your params and stocking history. I think you found a keeper there!

Thanks
    I went by Aquarium Showroom earlier to get the issue sorted and ended up leaving with more things, some pipe, a LED light and a few other things. Max is a real believer in getting the tank right, then stocking it. Max has the scale and selection, Robert (Neptune) knows everything about what I am doing and is my go-to-guy for knowing what my next step is. He is also the fish whisperer . The corals at Aquatic Gallery are just freaking amazing, Dr Lee knows his stuff. I am glad I took the time to visit all of the different LFS and figure out what is what.

Thanks for the thoughts bbl_nk!

Thanks
    Thanks for sharing! My trips to these places are just once and a while and saw enough of them to know which one's I'd go to. I do agree the corals at Aq Gallery are awesome! Now you have a good plan on where to go for what...keep us in the loop fo sho!

Thanks
    Where is Aquatic Gallery? I really enjoy those types of LFS that always go out of their way to know the customer and their tank. I find that Lucky Goldfish in Oakland is a lot like that Hunter (the Owner) is like that and I end up going and talking to him for an hour before I leave. Same with the Albany Aquarium, Jim is a great guy and I find that all his advice has gone along with what I hear on the forums. Lucky Goldfish has a good selection, for most things, but I want to find somewhere with a little wider selection of Corals.

Thanks
    In Milpitas CA Aquatic Gallery - Bring the Ocean Home . It's run by a Dr. Lee, he's very very into fish and corals, he has a lot of really pretty display tanks that are not for sale, some people are amazed at the amount of not for sale items he has

Thanks
    Thanks. I just took a look at there site. I am glad to see a store that focuses on education, Thats great to see. I will definately go check that out when I get a chance. Thanks again.

Thanks
    I second that recommendation on making a trip there. Might also check out Neptune's and Aquarium Showroom since you'd be in the area and make it a family day and take the little ones down the the Children's Discovery Museum or a Sharks game

Thanks
    Discovery Museum would be fun. My daughter is 16 months old and she would probably like it. Thanks for the recommendations I will definately be making a trip down that way soon.

Thread Information