Thread: Gold Rim tangs, whats your opinion?

Thanks

Gold Rim tangs, whats your opinion?

I love them, when you finally find a good healthy one, they are amazing looking. Therefore I have always wanted one. But, I have always been warned against it. I have been told they are very hard to keep. Contrary to what another post says on this site, I was always told to go for a powder brown (which i dont find attractive) or a powder blue (while may get aggresive, and I already hwave a blue fish) It would be housed with a blonde naso, hippo, and yellow tang, all which are mild mannered (i removed my purple tang which terrorized anything in its path, and he was the smallest.) Has anyone kept a gold rim, have any experience with them, there is a nice looking onr at my lfs and I have been keeping my eye on it. Any help, suggestions, or info would be great.
    It's not the size of the boat, it's the motion of the ocean, but it takes a long time to get to London in a row boat.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Hi Iv never owned a gold rim but heres some info on them for you hope this helps
    Raymond

Fish and Aquatic Invertebrates » Saltwater Fish » Tang - Gold Rimmed Main Page
    Ray or Raymond
    There is no elevator to success in marine tanks. You have to take the stairs.

Raymond's 30 gallon tank
    Raymond's 60 gallon tank

Show people you appreciate their advice! Click the star icon under their name to add to their reputation.

Thanks
    I have had one for over a year now and I have had no issues. He was a bit finicky until I found what he liked to eat. I also have a Regal and a Kole and they do not eat the same food. I feed them on opposite sides of the tank. You should enrich any food you feed them. I have noticed that if I don't his color will not be as bright.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Hi sthole21 welcome to TR.
    Ray or Raymond
    There is no elevator to success in marine tanks. You have to take the stairs.

Raymond's 30 gallon tank
    Raymond's 60 gallon tank

Show people you appreciate their advice! Click the star icon under their name to add to their reputation.

Thanks
    I don't mean to be a downer but your profile says you have a 125g. I would give some thought to having that many tangs in a 125. While a 125 is not a small fry, tangs are big swimmers and big waster producers.

Just something to think about.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    well all those tangs come from different familys so they should all work in theory. Your tank is small for a ton of tangs however...bio load and aggression could be a problem. Make lots of free swimming areas, and have a great skimmer.

I would say if you want to add another tang feed feed feed! Keep them fat, keep them happy. Get two lettuce clips, place them on opposite ends of the tanks. Feed algae in the morning and at night.

Thread Information