Thread: Carpet Anemone

Curious Reefer
    Thanks

Carpet Anemone

This post should cover a couple of things... I am wanting to get a carpet anemone but I am not sure if I should so I need some help. First off,

1.What is the ratio for fish to gallon in a tank?

2.Does that include corals, anemones, and any other inverts or just fish...

3.Any recommendations against a carpet anemone?

4.Hard to take care of? Dangerous? Destructive?

5.Don't they attach themselves to the bottom of the tank?

6.Do they move around a lot?

Here is my current stock list... 3 maroon clowns, one of them is kinda locked up as I am trying to get rid of him. BTA, about 6-8 astrea/turbo snails, 3-4 hermit crabs (very tiny), 2 skunk cleaner shrimp, lawnmower blenny, yellow tail damsel, 2 mushroom coral.

Tank Specs: 30g tank, 10g sump/refugium, 50lbs of live rock (estimate), 2 48" VHO bulbs

Let me know what my best move is. Some of the answers I have found vaguely but I would like the sites opinion!

Thanks
    I think with the BTA in your tank already it would be very hard to keep that and the carpet happy and carpet anemones from what I have read can very aggressive which means it will likely kill your BTA. Also they can get very big and most sites I have seen say they need a min. 30 gallon tank or larger. They are also rated as difficult to keep. I have no experience when it comes to them but I have been doing a lot of reading about nems cause I would like to get one eventually. They can be very finiky about water quality and stability. below is a link that talks a little about there needs. Also I am not sure but your lighting may not be strong enough either, everywhere seems to really say they need very intense lighting as well.

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=497+499+602&pcatid=602

also:
    CarpetAnemones

Curious Reefer
    Thanks
    Looks like as far as wetwebmedia is saying it is a very bad idea to have one in a small tank with other anemones... Well good justification not to spend more money! Thanks.. but in the interest of diversity any other input anyone has, from personal experience preferably, would be appreciated. Chances are I am not going to get one which is a shame because they are nice looking creatures...

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    They have also been known to eat fish that tend to perch on or cruise the bottom and I think that would put your lawnmower at risk.

Measurements like inch of fish per gallon of water are pretty meaningless. For instance if you think about it you will see that an inch of firefish is not the same as an inch of lawnmower blenny.
    Carmie

Only disasters happen fast!

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Show people you value their advice! Click the STAR icon at the bottom of the post to add to their reputation.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    I had a carpet anemone It was so butiful my clowns loved it but the problem was it moved for about a month then it ate my watchman gobie I was mad so I got rid of it. I also herd they eat crabs and other inverts that tangle in thier tenticals.
    Raymond
    Ray or Raymond
    There is no elevator to success in marine tanks. You have to take the stairs.

Raymond's 30 gallon tank
    Raymond's 60 gallon tank

Show people you appreciate their advice! Click the star icon under their name to add to their reputation.

Insightful Reefer
    Thanks
    sounds like the perfect excuse to get a second tank to me

Thanks
    be careful to inpsect the anenome to make sure it has not been stained or dyed... i work in a pet store and a couple times we have gotten in beautiful neon green and blue carpets that had been injected. They died shorty after arrival in our systems.

Thread Information