Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: 50 gallon dream!

Thanks
    bbl_nk, if i could, i would have carved all of the pieces myself! i am way too DIY.
    we are all on the long road to our dream tanks, im going slow and enjoying the journey!

Thanks
    Got the hood built still need to put the mirrors in. Here is what I have so far...

That is how it looks as is. The bulb is like 6 inches from the surface of the water do I still need glass? I don't think I do but what do you guys think?

P.S. I personally found out Reefing is a blood sport. LOL
    we are all on the long road to our dream tanks, im going slow and enjoying the journey!

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    You need to protect the bulb from splashes and in my tank I think it could splash that high.
    Carmie

Only disasters happen fast!

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Show people you value their advice! Click the STAR icon at the bottom of the post to add to their reputation.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Nice hood it looks good I love DIY builds they make you feel happy that you accomplished something. you did a great job. Thanks
    Raymond
    Ray or Raymond
    There is no elevator to success in marine tanks. You have to take the stairs.

Raymond's 30 gallon tank
    Raymond's 60 gallon tank

Show people you appreciate their advice! Click the star icon under their name to add to their reputation.

Thanks
    ill get the glass monday. what do you guys think of the concept? the lamp is centered in the hood, fan on either side pointed tward the lamp with vents across the top. there is about a five inch gap between the hood and the top of the tank. when the paint is dry, i will put black fabric around the bottomto block the light that excapes from the hood and illuminates the room now. i put it up like this cause i didnt know where to put the holes for the wires, filter tubes, or stuff like that. but the external overflow is something i am putting on, but dont have the specs for, so i had trouble convincing myself to put holes where i dont know. i dont have the woodworking tools in my home, thay are at my fathers house 20 miles away. kinda hard to move a full 50 gallon that far. i have a free 55 gallon on the way as a sump.

Thanks
    and reefing is a blood sport cause i almost removed my thumb (literaly) while cutting the mirrors for the inside of the tank. shaved the skin and meat off the meaty part of my left hand to the bone. right at the first joint. so be careful cutting glass, its sharp. expecialy when you slip and run your hand down the edge. cut out a flap the size of a half dollar coin. no reaching in the tank with that hand for a while i guess. this wound will hopefully not affect me at work, cant use my thumb on my left hand. im left handed, and a test driver for Chrysler!

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by boyesreef
    and reefing is a blood sport cause i almost removed my thumb (literaly) while cutting the mirrors for the inside of the tank. shaved the skin and meat off the meaty part of my left hand to the bone. right at the first joint. so be careful cutting glass, its sharp. expecialy when you slip and run your hand down the edge. cut out a flap the size of a half dollar coin. no reaching in the tank with that hand for a while i guess. this wound will hopefully not affect me at work, cant use my thumb on my left hand. im left handed, and a test driver for Chrysler!
    OOOOOOOOOOUUUUCH thats a bummer Im sorry that happend to you hopefully it heals quickly. Did you have to get any stiches or anything. good luck Thanks
    Raymond
    Ray or Raymond

Raymond's 30 gallon tank
    Raymond's 60 gallon tank

Show people you appreciate their advice! Click the star icon under their name to add to their reputation.

Thanks
    it cut the skin off, there is nothing left there to stitch. big gaping hole + salt = not so many good feelings. doc gave me tylonal 3, wraped it up and sent me home.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Iv had the same thing happen to me with a big hunting knife cut right on top of my hand between my thumb and my pointer finger it hert just like you I had this big gaping hole and a scar. luckily your alright though thats the good part. Thanks
    Raymond
    Ray or Raymond

Raymond's 30 gallon tank
    Raymond's 60 gallon tank

Thanks
    ya it just hurts like a son of a gun. so i just tok my meds, and finished painting the hood, i am going to wait on cutting the mirrors until i can buy a sharper cutting tool, the one i got is dull so you need to push harder, the mirror split instead of scoring, and, well, caught me off guard.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Sorry to hear you got hurt. Being a test driver sounds like a fun job! Do you get to do the "Professional Driver on a closed course" stuff?
    Carmie

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Show people you value their advice! Click the STAR icon at the bottom of the post to add to their reputation.

Curious Reefer Emily's Pico Reef's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CarmieJo View Post
    Sorry to hear you got hurt. Being a test driver sounds like a fun job! Do you get to do the "Professional Driver on a closed course" stuff?
    He don't get to do fun stuff lke that what he should have said is he is an "endurance" driver the ones who drive the new and concept cars to see what changes need to be made.

I'm so proud of him. He cuts the meat off his and and the first thing he thinks about is his tank. Very dedicated.
    I wish I were a little swishy fish.....

Thanks
    like emily said, i dont drive like a wild man like the comercials, but i drove the new challenger before it existed in nature, and i drove the journey before it even had a name. too many chargers. and im tired of seeing vipers. and i get paid to do it! i love my job. and emily, first thing i thought is "this will hurt tomorrow" then we got me all bandaged up, then came the tank. its my third most prized things i have around me. you know the other two.
    heres me on the right, with my two people i cant live without

im holding my daughter Olivia, standing next to my woderful girlfriend Emily. oivia is about a week old in this picture. heres a more recent one

this one is at about 5 weeks old

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Little Miss Olivia is just a doll baby!
    Carmie

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    she looks cuet and so do you guys thanks for sharing your wonderful pic.
    Raymond
    Ray or Raymond

Raymond's 30 gallon tank
    Raymond's 60 gallon tank

Assistant Moderator Skurvey Dog's Avatar
    Thanks
    She is an adorable lil angel. Wowsers, if both parents are reefers and have salt water in their blood, that means she's more than likely to be swayed to the marine side. Yea!!!!! Another future reefer is born.

Will your voice count?
    One new reefer, another voice united with the many against ignorance and greed. Educate, influence, good stewardship, all in one accord to work together as a whole in saving our reefs.

"Get Reefy With It!"

Thanks
    Thank you all!!!!!! She is our little angel. She is already showing intrest in the 14 gal. Daddy will hold her up and she is just mezmorized by the colors and movement.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    I tore my SW tanks down when I was pregnant because I didn't think I would have time for everything. (This was back in '88.) But, I thought the baby needed an aquarium so I set a 10 gallon goldfish tank up on his dresser. Sometimes when I would go into his room he was just sitting in his crib watching the fishies. Now at age 20 he claims to not be into my tanks but he notices if anything changes.
    Carmie

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CarmieJo View Post
    I tore my SW tanks down when I was pregnant because I didn't think I would have time for everything. (This was back in '88.) But, I thought the baby needed an aquarium so I set a 10 gallon goldfish tank up on his dresser. Sometimes when I would go into his room he was just sitting in his crib watching the fishies. Now at age 20 he claims to not be into my tanks but he notices if anything changes.
    That is kids for you. from birth to age 5 mom knows everything and from 6 to 25 mom knows nothing after 25 they realize mom knows everything but cat like mom knows nothing

Thanks
    Nick started putting the mirrors in his hood this afternoon. Such a trooper Almost cuts his thumb off and a few days later right back at his project. I will make sure he give you a complete update when he gets a few minutes.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thats a good boy KEEP ON TRUCKIN cant wait for the update. Thanks
    Ray or Raymond

Raymond's 30 gallon tank
    Raymond's 60 gallon tank

Thanks
    i got the mirrors in (thanks emily) it took a couple days longer than expected. it took two days to cut the glass. i used liquid nails to mount the mirror. hopefully it holds. i have the front and back lined in mirror, and the ends are angled at a 45 to point the beam straight down. pics coming as soon as i have time to upload them.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    If Liquid Nails doesn't hold it nothing will!
    Carmie

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Thanks
    How much extra reflection did you notice with the mirrors? I hope enough considering

Thanks
    it at least doubled the light output. im not sure how much its worth, seams how i still cant use my thumb 100%. this is a bummer.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information