Thread: Seeking advice on Blue Hippo Tang in QT

Curious Reefer
    Thanks

Seeking advice on Blue Hippo Tang in QT

Hey Folks,

I recently purchased a baby hippo tang from my LFS and the fish has been in quarantine for the past 30 hours. He is about 1.2" in length and is in a 5G tank with a 3" diameter section of PVC for shelter. I'm treating him with Instant Ocean lifeguard for Ick and Oodinium. (comes with the floating lifesaver for the tablets) I started the tank with water from the LFS, which I tested first and the salinity was a bit low at 1.020 so I brought it up with some instant ocean salt to 1.023. I fed him some garlic soaked mini mysis yesterday and he ate it all quickly.

Today he was much more skittish and would only eat a few bites if I left the room. I tested the water and the ammonia was up to 0.25 so I changed 2 gallons from my main tank hoping the established bacteria could help me with the ammonia.

During the process of cleaning out the extra food, and changing the water he was totally freaking out. (breathing fast, hiding under the edge of the PVC on his side)

Should I be worried? Am I going too fast with the water changes? I have read that these fish are very skittish in general. He still looks healthy, although he has a few spots that look like grains of sand. I have also witnessed him scratching his sides on the PVC.

I really want this little guy/gal to make it, so any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

nanoposeiden

PS: I have a webcam of him in QT so I can monitor the temp and his behavior without scaring him. He's still hiding right now since the water change, and still breathing very quickly.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Hi Nano and to TR.

My best guess is that your little guy is stressed out from being in such a small tank. Even though he is tiny now these fish swim MILES in the ocean everyday grazing on the rocks. To live in captivity they need at least a 6' long tank. These fish are ich magnets and it is even worse when they are stressed. I am afraid that you will have a very difficult time trying to QT him here.
    Carmie

Only disasters happen fast!

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Show people you value their advice! Click the STAR icon at the bottom of the post to add to their reputation.

Thanks
    I have had horrible luck trying to QT Hippos They dont do well in tiny tank with very few places to hide. They will start breathing hard and "play dead" when they get very stressed.

I decided to skip QT with the last one I bought and he has been growing and doing fine for over a year now. He has never had any outbreaks of ich.
    I have Attention Defic...HEY LOOK, A FISH!

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    nanoposeiden,

Your name gives me some concern, nanoposeiden, implies that your interest and main DT aquarium may be a nano. I checked you profile and you don't mention the size aquarium there. May I ask what size is your DT for this Blue Tang?

Also, I see you recently got started in marine aquariums so, your knowledge level is in the range of beginner. Nothing wrong with that, we all start at the beginning. But it tells us that you have a lot of learning ahead of you. The best thing you've done so far, is to join TR! By the way, WELCOME!

Since you are a newbie to the hobby, we are going to direct you to various sites for information on what ever subject is at hand. My first recommendation is for you to read an article written for the beginner and mid-level hobbyist called, "Nine Simple Rules". It was written by me and posted as a "sticky" here on TR and I have it on my web site. You can access it here - Nine Simple Rules

The article deals with how to buy healthy fish, how to keep them healthy and my idea of what a quarantine system should be. Many have found it very informative.

Hope this helps.

Dick
    Amphibious

Good Luck comes to those who research and prepare.

Our Talking Reef Forum The Cultured Reef Forum
    My tank journal Amphibious' 135 mixed reef.
    The Cutured Reef toll free number - 888 745-0449

Amblyeleotris randalli commonly, Randall's Goby.

Curious Reefer
    Thanks
    Thank you for the replies. My display tank is a 55g 48x12. (Sorry, I know the recommended minimum for this fish is 75 gallons, I have plans for when he gets too big for the 55)

I have done a bit of research into acclimation and care for this fish so I know what I'm experiencing isn't out of the ordinary. I'm working on getting a larger tank to house him for the next few weeks. My main tank also has a skunk cleaner shrimp so that should help keep him clean of parasites.

As far as my experience, I am still very new to the hobby. My tank was established in March and it has been about 2 months since any we have purchased any additions. The other tank members are the skunk cleaner shrimp, two false percula, and a diamondback goby. This particular fish (the tang) is my wife's favorite fish and I wanted to get her more into the hobby with me. Hopefully the fish does ok and gets to go into the main tank before too long.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0c070ZDadk"]Video of Baby Blue from this morning[/ame]
    Last edited by nanoposeiden; 08-28-2008 at 11:29 AM. Reason: added video link

Curious Reefer
    Thanks
    I've been working on improving the situation for this tang's quarantine today. Here are a list of changes:

- New 10G aquarium w/hood from PetSmart
    - Added Solid blue background to sides and back of the tank
    - Added a powerhead 402 turned way down, (has adjustable venturi tube)
    - Switched to Mardel CopperSafe (reccomended instead the Lifeguard)
    - SeaChem Matrix Biofilter Media (in DT canister for a few days, then I'll move some into my QT HOB filter)
    - Temperature lowered to 80 from 85
    - Salinity in new tank lowered to 1.019 from 1.023 (going for the hyposalinity as well to help with the Ick)

I drip acclimated the tang for an hour and he's swimming around and eatting more in the larger tank.

Thanks for the advice! Keep em coming!

Thanks
    Good luck and sounds like you are on track to getting him quarantined. I think that is the smartest move anyone can make. Just keep looking out for that larger tank though. Don't listen to anyone that tells you they have a tang "doing fine" in a small tank. There is a HUGE difference between surviving and thriving

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Hi welcome to TR nanoposeiden glad your here and lerning alot hope your a regular here. The tang looks great good luck finding the new tank and getting rid of the ich.
    thanks Raymond
    Ray or Raymond
    There is no elevator to success in marine tanks. You have to take the stairs.

Raymond's 30 gallon tank
    Raymond's 60 gallon tank

Show people you appreciate their advice! Click the star icon under their name to add to their reputation.

Thanks
    Sounds like you are on track for possibly better luck, however, I wouldn't consider 1.019 anywhere near hyposalinity. I also would not attempt to do copper and hypo at the same time. Leave the SG normal and continue with the copper according to the directions.

Hyposalinity is not for the faint of heart. You must lower the SG slowly over a looooong time while carefully monitoring the PH (which will fall quickly as you lower the SG) and adjusting to maintain normal levels. If you dont happen to have a PH meter be prepared to blow through test kits. The return trip to normal SG isn't so chemistry intensive, but it should be even slower.... as in several days.
    I have Attention Defic...HEY LOOK, A FISH!

Thread Information